Well, that could have gone worse

boulderchild

I'm sure this will be torn apart by folks who would have done things differently but hopefully it makes you think either way.

I'll start by saying I live in a fairly affluent neighborhood in a very low crime area so this was a bit of a surprise.

Friday morning my wife and I got up around 5:00-5:15 like we normally do. Put the dogs out the back door and started to get ready. She was in the laundry room and I was in the bedroom. About 5:20 my dogs started going nuts with their "someone is here" bark. I went out and didn't see anything so I figured it was just a deer.

A few minutes later I walked back into the kitchen to find a stranger standing in the kitchen about half way between the door and where my wife was. Guy came through a gate, made sure the dogs stayed outside and opened/closed the back door of a 120 year house without either of us hearing.

Not even thinking I looked at him and said can I help you? He told me he just wanted to tell me I had a beautiful house and that he lived at the house two doors down. I asked him a few more questions and told him it was probably time for him to get going. He walked out, across the field next to my house and back to the road. And then back toward my driveway. I called the local pd who was there in less than 5 minutes with multiple cars and took him to jail. Really the best response I have ever seen from a PD in my life.

Later in the day they found his truck parked almost a half mile away in the opisite direction from where he said he lived. He had veteran plates and had an address in a town about 30 minutes away.

My wife didn't realize he was there until I confronted him. The direction the guy came from he could have only been able to see my wife, not me and he wasn't wearing a shirt or shoes when I found him.

Takeaways:
-we were extremely lucky this didn't take a turn for the worse
-ALWAYS be aware of your surroundings, this happened at a time I would not have expected it
-I guess I need a holster that works with gym shorts and pajamas.

Just thought I would share as this is a good reminder that this stuff will ALWAYS happen when you least expect it. Fortunately this one turned out ok.

Ugh. Home invasion stuff is literally what I have nightmares about. Although this is much tamer than what my mind thinks up. Still... That would run through my mind for years. Glad it all turned out well and you didn't have to shoot somebody.
Honestly I'll be replaying this for a while. My wife said she thought part of what scared him was that I was smiling the whole time. I was just happy I kept my cool and it de escalated without anything really bad happening.

Call me lazy, buy I've just never taken the time to get my CCL....and I live in Texas! Yes, now we can carry open and there's really no point, but my point is...I never did it. A couple of "instances" have changed my mind. The last couple of months we've had 2 "bail outs" on our property. The bail outs are illegals from Mexico that the local PD attempt to pull over. Just so happens they both took place in the same place on our property. The first one had the SOB's (sorry moderators) run through an electric gate that leads to my mother in laws house, they hit it going 60mph! I would have liked to had a camera in the cab of that pickup as the road they went down has some very deep potholes. Short of the story, they got away without any of them being found. On the same day we are fixing the gate the first ones drove through we had a second bail out of 10 of then (in a extended cab f-150) a quarter mile from the first bail out. They went from the highway straight to my mother in laws house about a mile over the hill. Try clearing a house with an 18" 7-08AI🤣 The sheriff (good friend of mine) thought I was an idiot, but I just never carried a pistol. Since then I've purchased a Browing Medallion compact in 380 that rides on the back of my hip and doesn't get in the way of daily chores. Just the other day we had a felon going down the highway trying to escape local pd. Point of all this rambling is, you never know when or where you will need a sidearm and I sympathize with your situation. Glad all worked out OK and nobody was hurt.

I'm sure this will be torn apart by folks who would have done things differently but hopefully it makes you think either way.

I'll start by saying I live in a fairly affluent neighborhood in a very low crime area so this was a bit of a surprise.

Friday morning my wife and I got up around 5:00-5:15 like we normally do. Put the dogs out the back door and started to get ready. She was in the laundry room and I was in the bedroom. About 5:20 my dogs started going nuts with their "someone is here" bark. I went out and didn't see anything so I figured it was just a deer.

A few minutes later I walked back into the kitchen to find a stranger standing in the kitchen about half way between the door and where my wife was. Guy came through a gate, made sure the dogs stayed outside and opened/closed the back door of a 120 year house without either of us hearing.

Not even thinking I looked at him and said can I help you? He told me he just wanted to tell me I had a beautiful house and that he lived at the house two doors down. I asked him a few more questions and told him it was probably time for him to get going. He walked out, across the field next to my house and back to the road. And then back toward my driveway. I called the local pd who was there in less than 5 minutes with multiple cars and took him to jail. Really the best response I have ever seen from a PD in my life.

Later in the day they found his truck parked almost a half mile away in the opisite direction from where he said he lived. He had veteran plates and had an address in a town about 30 minutes away.

My wife didn't realize he was there until I confronted him. The direction the guy came from he could have only been able to see my wife, not me and he wasn't wearing a shirt or shoes when I found him.

Takeaways:
-we were extremely lucky this didn't take a turn for the worse
-ALWAYS be aware of your surroundings, this happened at a time I would not have expected it
-I guess I need a holster that works with gym shorts and pajamas.

Just thought I would share as this is a good reminder that this stuff will ALWAYS happen when you least expect it. Fortunately this one turned out ok.
Thank God that you and your wife are safe.
With the things that happened to Jill and I - My reaction would be to draw and tell him not to move a muscle while calling the Sheriff. If he moved an inch towards me -well that would be a whole different story. If it was Jill that encountered him in our house, she would have opened fire without question.
I am afraid to tell Jill this story, because she is still freaked out from last week.
About 4:30PM today we received a big box with all the Newest Latest Greatest Security Sensors/Monitors/keypads/Video Cameras from ADT/Google/Nest.
Going to install tomorrow along with NEW upgraded HONSMART Motion Sensors along with BLIINK Motion Cameras, New Motion Security Lighting 360 around the house and a few other secret devices. Have five + NEW redundant systems now. I want to make sure that Jill not only feels safe, but is SAFE!

Last edited:
glad things worked out for you. I probably would have reacted differently especially with all the roaming illegals around the state now. You would not believe the amount of illegals this far north into Texas lately. Just go to Walmart at night and you can clearly see Biden's policy at work right now. Sickening.

My morning routine. Every day.
Wake up
take a leak
Get dressed including pistol and pocketknife
Brush teeth
Meet the day.

Glad it worked out as well as it did.
Drugs? Confusion/mental illness? Or ill intensions?
Didn't say, I think a little of all. We have seen his truck with crews working in a house down the road. The time he walked in is about the time my wife usually takes our daughter to school and the time I'm on my morning run. He was definitely surprised to see me.

Didn't say, I think a little of all. We have seen his truck with crews working in a house down the road. The time he walked in is about the time my wife usually takes our daughter to school and the time I'm on my morning run. He was definitely surprised to see me.
If you have seen him before with crews, my bet is on he was casing the place, and picked the wrong day to attempt a burglary.

I would suggest everyone should be reviewing total home security and consider how home access is controlled. I bet you are already doing so but control of normal home access is the number one security lapse an intruder identifies and takes advantage of. Having cameras are nice but then what?

Scenario identification with protective actions should be considered by everyone. Having forethought of an incident with action can help train you to be better prepared beforehand. Just grabbing a firearm is not a plan. What steps will you, spouse and children will take under what circumstances? This is really no different than having an emergency plan for fire, severe weather, floods or other possibilities. Where is safe place? Who does what? How and when? Communications are paramount and need to be simple and clear. Take some time to think "what if" and ideas will be flowing. Brain storm with entire family, you will be surprised by some of the questions.

NRA has some good reference materials to consider developing plan.

3 close friends murdered, plus 2 folks that I knew pretty good….. 5 (all in Louisiana) unnecessary deaths. Only one was a young man ( going to seminary to be a minister), the rest were retired seniors! I try to never let my guard down……it happens, but very rarely! memtb

Recent Posts