Well....it happened again....

26Reload

Season started Thursday for general rifle deer in Southeast idaho...
Two days of scouting turned up five does and one little forked horn...
Opening day..snow on the ground..made a move to try to head off anything being pushed up a really high ridge......caught a doe and yearling escaping a camper parked at the water hole....found a very large track..coukd have been a,solo moose or a sneaky bull....came across a group of about 4 deer running from the campers also a little higher up....tracked them in the snow thru the for trees down the draw and bwck up the other side....saw them....four bucks...three little itty bitty spikes wnd one humongous 3 point(10" tall and as wide as his skull)....bummer...went on up the ridge to the top..cut across and back down other ridge.....encountered another set of tracks into timber.......didnt find a deer but did find and frozen piece of ground with fresh snow......my left inner and outer thigh exploded....and i had a long ways to get down the hill....extemely painful...second day of deer season wasnt looking so good...but..i stopped by a ranch and asked permission to glass the FS behind their place..and the lady feeling sad for me said sure....so i took advantage...glassed next morning and saw 6 does and one little forked horn.....back in the evening and glasses many does on an adjacent property..no bucks..and a few does heading to food on this piece.....no bucks....
Woke up this morning...hurting like heck....was ready to pile everything in and head home..try to recuperate for next week....decided to head to the ranch and see what may be around.......i hate myself for doing it...cause now my leg is on fire..........but I did find something.....not a long range story...but exciting....made some of the pain disappear....but not all..... 1012190810.jpg 1012190811a.jpg 1012191238.jpg
Normally I would have been tickled to only have to pack a buck a few hundred yards......this one took a toll.....
I may have gotten the buck....but I think it got the last laugh.....
Oh yeah....
Remington mountain rifle..rechambered to 280ai..ultra lite noodle barrel...
Nosler 168lrab and brass..4831sc @ 2630fps.....300 yard shot...well multiple shots...was like a hide and go seek game....first shot hit about 6" too high for a shoulder shot..he stayed on his feet..i kept shooting....5 shots...three hits two pass thru...and last shot was him going up hill away...in thru back rib and lodged 6" below his head....thats good penetration......

Last edited:
Excellent!
Glad your misfortune turned out ok.........can't say the same for me last year. Tripped and got 6" deadwood spike in the trigger hand. No amount of trying would get it out........nearest hospital was 4+ hours away.........oh well.

Congratulations on your fine looking buck.

Cheers.

Magnum...yes I remember reading your story....god awful place for that stick to be....
Fortunately for myself I felt myself going and threw myself away from the downed branches....didnt hit the turf...but the broken branches sticking up from the trees could have left me punctured where the sun doesn't shine(all the time).....
Swelling is leaving the leg......still have almost two more weeks to season......and a second tag......may be eating this one.....

Good ol' buck fever!! I just put three in my antelope yesterday @ 200 out of a 7x300, I can kill'em just fine @ 500+, but those hurry up shots get me sometimes, saved most of the meat somehow. Nice buck.....good shot!

ripped top half of my quad in seventh grade...
This jolt i took took a toll on the stabilizer muscles on the sides of the thigh......cant afford to lose those....wont have anything to lift my leg when I get older and more feeble......

ripped top half of my quad in seventh grade...
This jolt i took took a toll on the stabilizer muscles on the sides of the thigh......cant afford to lose those....wont have anything to lift my leg when I get older and more feeble......
Oh, sorry to hear that. Nice buck and well deserved. Looks like your tenacity paid off!

Did a quick score......
20.1" inside spread...
107.3" main points.....
18.2" & 18.7" circumference....
3.4" eyeguards....

168.1"......seems fitting....168 lrab

Sometimes the bad times are part of the good times.....combined, they create the memories you'll have forever! With the circumstances you were able to deal with, you earned your trophy....enjoy the memories! Oh and.....Congratulations! memtb

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.