Well I purchased a Christensen Arms Mesa...

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Bigeclipse, Oct 8, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. Bigeclipse

Bigeclipse Well-Known Member

In the review he talks about the issue and there are a few online threads discussing the smaller hole which seems to be on models starting in late 2018 early 2019. Again, I’ve not seen the smaller hole in person but just passing on the info.

2. Tulsa Reiner

Tulsa Reiner Well-Known Member

3. Tulsa Reiner

Tulsa Reiner Well-Known Member

FYI: I bought (or I should say, my wife bought for me) a CA 300 Win Mag Classic model 3 years ago. Last year I drove over it with my UTV, cracking the stock and trigger guard. After I called Christensen and arranged a repair, they had it back to be in 3 weeks, with only a $300 charge. So I am totally pleased with their service and the reasonable cost of it. It shoots fine, once again, with sub MOA groups.

4. T3ninja

T3ninja Well-Known Member

This one is a “new for 2019” model. I know that the factory spring is destroyed when removing, unless you take the trigger assembly off, which I did. Then the new spring (mcarbo) goes in “from the top”.

martinakl likes this.
  5. Bigeclipse

Yes I know that but go read comments on the forums and YouTube. People are reporting that the spring hole got even smaller and the mcarbo spring no longer fits and it is impossible to get the old spring now.

6. trigger103

trigger103 Active Member

tagging in

7. RevJim

RevJim Well-Known Member

I bought a Mesa Burnt Bronze in 300 Win Mag and I am delighted! I cleaned it well, torqued everything right and used some Extreme Bore Polish, then WipeOut, then EezOx. I only used a 5 shot "break in", then just use a Bore Snake/EezOx every 20 rounds or so. It does take a couple of fouling shots after to shoot the EezOx out. I shoot it about 1 to 2 minutes between shots, warm barrel but not hot. I have 4 different loads ( [email protected]/ 150SST @2780, 308 speeds) Barnes 150 TTSX (H4831 shoots .99 for five, R17 shoots .5 for five. It did .3 for three!) that are under .99" (worst) to .3" (best) but all are in the same +2" @ 100 Zero! It is a Gem. Have a Vortex Razor HD 1.5 x 8 on it. Around 8#, haven't weighed it, but don't care because I have to carry it anywhere I go anyhow, ha.

YZ-80 likes this.
  8. Bigeclipse

Ok the rifle has come in. Visually the rifle looks perfect. The action is smooth. The trigger is light. Definitely Feels sub 3lbs and probably closer to 2.5. The rifling down the barrel looks fine and so does the crown. No visual imperfections that I could see. Hopefully it shoots as good as it looks. If it does sub 1 moa I will be pleased since it will only be used to 400 yards. The recoil pad feels very nice. The rifle shoulders well. As long as it shoots sub moa, I think it would be very hard to find another rifle with this many features for 1150$ shipped.

9. jpope02

jpope02 Well-Known Member

I like my PRC mesa- sub moa with factory 147's, but any load with 147 or larger bullets using max data will require a rubber mallet to open your bolt. That being said factory Hornady ammo will suit me and won't send it to the resale rack.

10. Bigeclipse

Sounds like something is off with your chamber?

11. shooter7

shooter7 Well-Known Member

That's interesting to hear. I blew a primer in my Mesa a couple weeks ago with a powder and bullet combination that was 1.1gr below published book maximum.

12. JemezDave

JemezDave Active Member

That’s why you always start below max and work your way up, and mind your bore condition. It’s not just a slogan folks

13. shooter7

shooter7 Well-Known Member

It could have been much worse if I didn't.