Well I purchased a Christensen Arms Mesa...

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Bigeclipse, Oct 8, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. martinakl

martinakl Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

I'm tagging in. I hadn't read that about the newer X-Bolts and not being able to switch the spring.

I just bought a X-Bolt Max Long Range and the M*Carbo spring. Should have the rifle early next week and already have the spring. It's a 2019 model, so I guess we'll see.

My google-fu is weak today. I can't find any other reports about the spring not working?

T3ninja likes this.
  2. Jackmonkey

Jackmonkey Well-Known Member

I also wanted a 6.5PRC so the list of factory chamberings was short. I looked at several different brands but it came down to either the CA Mesa or the Ridgeline. The Mesa fit my budget better but I knew that I would regret not getting the Ridgeline so I bit the bullet and got it on sale. The first box of Hornady 143 ELD-X has been sub-MOA at 100 yards. Going to stretch it out this weekend to 560 yards and see how it does.

I tore my rifle apart when I got it home and the only gripe I have is the bedding job. It is sloppy like other reviewers have stated. There was still release agent and compound on the receiver. I would have liked to see a skim bed job versus the spot bedding on the lug . After a quick clean and re-torque it looks and shoots great. I think you will be happy with your purchase.

duckhunter175 likes this.
  3. LVJ76

LVJ76 Well-Known Member

Congrats on your new rifle, hope it shoots great and keep us posted

4. Bigeclipse

Bigeclipse Well-Known Member

Google Browning small trigger spring hole and you will likely find some threads discussing it. I know it impacted the Browning pro model xbolts and I "believe" it made its way to all models.

5. dixiemagnum80

dixiemagnum80 Well-Known Member

Tagging in here

6. SilverbulletMAG

SilverbulletMAG Well-Known Member

Christensen Arms has really turned things around after a few rough years. Congrats on a great new rifle that should shoot lights out.

Envious of the West likes this.
  7. Elkaholic Bob

Elkaholic Bob Well-Known Member

Congrats on your new Mesa. I think you will enjoy it

8. Coloradomuley

Coloradomuley New Member

I have several CA mesas
    7mm rem
    6.5 creed
    6.5 PRC
    All are 1/2 MOA guns and have been easy to get to shoot I think you will be happy with your purchase.

9. T3ninja

T3ninja Well-Known Member

I did the spring swap on mine (max long range) it took all of about 5 minutes , but the trigger still sucks.

Elkaholic Bob likes this.
  10. Elkaholic Bob

Does the Mesa have the same trigger as the ridgeline?

11. Bigeclipse

Yes

12. Bigeclipse

That’s only the older style trigger group. This year they transitioned to one which has a tiny hole and the mcarbo spring won’t fit or so I read on some threads in forums. I haven’t seen it in person.

13. Elkaholic Bob

I really like the trigger on my ridgeline

14. martinakl

martinakl Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

I sent M*Carbo an email yesterday. They don't seem to be aware of any issue:

"Hello Kevin, The spring kit we offer should work with all X-Bolt models. Sometimes you just need to use smaller tool (like picks) to get the spring to be seated correctly.

Let me know if you have any further questions."