Well here we go!

jevyod

I am looking to Montana in 2 years to pursue Mule deer and Elk. Part of the reason for going is to force myself to get in shape. I am very much in shape if round counts. I am 5' 8" and almost 300 lbs. (embarrassing to admit) I have started my workout regime, and am almost a week in. I work a job that requires little physical activity (teaching) and if I am not intentional about weight control it gets out of control. So I started fairly easy, and every 2 weeks I will step it up. Here is what I do and in this order:
15 minute walk, fairly easy since my pregnant wife goes along. But it works well to warm up
10 sets of stairs. This actually works me pretty well since we are in an old house, 10 foot ceiling, 17 steps that are pretty steep
10 minutes on the exercise bike
10 push-ups.
This is done 6 days a week with a break on Sundays.
Plans are to increase the bike time, stair reps, and push-ups by 2 every 2 weeks. Also once I start getting more in shape, weights will be added to the stair reps. I also live where we have a good amount of mountains around (not high) that I will hopefully start hiking next spring. There is a trail that goes up over 3 pretty good ridges, and pretty much goes straight up over. Distance is 5 miles 1 way, so goal is to start hiking that a few times next spring. Total distance of 10 miles and 6 ridges should show me what else I need to work on.
Are there any glaring deficiencies in this start up plan? I will also add some planks in order to help core strength.
Diet is also being considered...makes a difference for me if I exercise regularly. Gives me pause at the sweets because it feels like I work against myself if I eat sweets. One thing I am trying to do is stay away from carbs (ever realize how many carbs are in bread??) and eat less starch and more protein and salads. For instance if I have a meat, I will eat either corn or potatoes with it, not both.
Anyways, any other thing to consider/add?? I am really open to suggestions here. Part of the reason I am panning on 2 years instead of 1 is to give me more time to get in shape. I am not old, only 35. I figure the quality of my later life will be much improved by getting and staying relatively healthy. It is amazing how quickly I can tell a difference. Started last week Wednesday, and I am not puffing nearly as hard after 10 reps of stairs. Also shed 2.5 lbs in 3 days, I am hoping for a consistent 2 lbs a week. Target weight is 200. Hopefully this plan is reasonable/doable.
Another way I hope to see progress is I live an hour from what they call 1,000 steps in Lewistown Pa. It is literally that, 1k steps up a good ridge. Once I can do that without stopping, I should be well on my way!!

Research intermittent fasting, you eat in an 8 hour window, then nothing else for 16 hours except water.

OR

Start by eliminating all sugar, bread and pasta from your normal diet, that alone will go along way for a while.

Then start a carb timing program with healthy food. Breakfast, eggs and oatmeal, lunch chicken and rice, dinner meat and green vegetables. NO evening carbs, if you keep up exercising and this diet at about the 1500-1700 calorie level you will loose weight pretty quick.

KETO, this is a no carb diet, I wouldn't suggest it as a school teacher, no carbs will give you brain fog. I lost 25 lbs in 7 weeks on a 1400 calorie a day diet of keto. I was running 4 times a week, I was a total zombie for those 7 weeks.

Now when I diet I do the carb timing 3 meals a day, maybe one high protein snack. You can exercise all you want but the diet needs to be on point to succeed.

Good for you, big time proud of ya!

Consider buying some work out bands and carry them with you from work to home. You could get in some quick squats etc with them and arm work easily each day between classes etc...

gym in a bag all for less than $30

Do about 60 -100 burpees 3-4 days a week. Build a big wooden box 20-24 inches high and step on that 100 times with each leg the other 3-4 days a week. And do your 10 push ups -10 times a day. You will see a difference in about 3 weeks.

I am looking to Montana in 2 years to pursue Mule deer and Elk. Part of the reason for going is to force myself to get in shape. I am very much in shape if round counts. I am 5' 8" and almost 300 lbs. (embarrassing to admit) I have started my workout regime, and am almost a week in. I work a job that requires little physical activity (teaching) and if I am not intentional about weight control it gets out of control. So I started fairly easy, and every 2 weeks I will step it up. Here is what I do and in this order:
15 minute walk, fairly easy since my pregnant wife goes along. But it works well to warm up
10 sets of stairs. This actually works me pretty well since we are in an old house, 10 foot ceiling, 17 steps that are pretty steep
10 minutes on the exercise bike
10 push-ups.
This is done 6 days a week with a break on Sundays.
Plans are to increase the bike time, stair reps, and push-ups by 2 every 2 weeks. Also once I start getting more in shape, weights will be added to the stair reps. I also live where we have a good amount of mountains around (not high) that I will hopefully start hiking next spring. There is a trail that goes up over 3 pretty good ridges, and pretty much goes straight up over. Distance is 5 miles 1 way, so goal is to start hiking that a few times next spring. Total distance of 10 miles and 6 ridges should show me what else I need to work on.
Are there any glaring deficiencies in this start up plan? I will also add some planks in order to help core strength.
Diet is also being considered...makes a difference for me if I exercise regularly. Gives me pause at the sweets because it feels like I work against myself if I eat sweets. One thing I am trying to do is stay away from carbs (ever realize how many carbs are in bread??) and eat less starch and more protein and salads. For instance if I have a meat, I will eat either corn or potatoes with it, not both.
Anyways, any other thing to consider/add?? I am really open to suggestions here. Part of the reason I am panning on 2 years instead of 1 is to give me more time to get in shape. I am not old, only 35. I figure the quality of my later life will be much improved by getting and staying relatively healthy. It is amazing how quickly I can tell a difference. Started last week Wednesday, and I am not puffing nearly as hard after 10 reps of stairs. Also shed 2.5 lbs in 3 days, I am hoping for a consistent 2 lbs a week. Target weight is 200. Hopefully this plan is reasonable/doable.
Another way I hope to see progress is I live an hour from what they call 1,000 steps in Lewistown Pa. It is literally that, 1k steps up a good ridge. Once I can do that without stopping, I should be well on my way!!
A simple thing you can add right now is lay on your stomach and get up to a standing position. This sounds really simple but repeat it 20-30 times in a row and you will see what I mean. Its a practical movement you need in the field. Then you can add doing it from your back as you get stronger. This is basic core strength stuff. Once you get stronger add a backpack where practical like your walks your burpees etc. Start out very light 5-10lbs. Using the pack you intend to use for your hunt is best but any thing to start will be good. Also, using the boots you intend to hunt with on your walks is very good idea. Good luck, I doing a similar workout (lots of walking with packs etc.) right now trying to get back in shape after a run in with COVID-19 a few months ago so I feel your pain.

Great for you! This is a lifestyle change. Pick something you can stick with. I think all the above are great recommendations. Especially hike/walks with a weighted pack. David Goggins does a work out with simple exercises: Jumping Jacks, air squats, lunges, push ups , laying down shoulder claps. You only need a very small area , great workout. Start with low reps and work up. His story is pretty cool. Used to be 300lbs came from nothing.
Keep us posted and good luck!

You will see your first 20-30 pounds come off quickly and then might not see the weight fall off as fast. I've been there done that. Don't get discouraged. You will start gaining muscle which weighs more than fat (even if you can't see it).

The more you workout more you are going to get hungry and that's what takes self control. Drink a large cup of water before you start eating. Also watch what you eat. Cut out fast food and junk food. Meal prep if you can because it will limit your intake of food and you know what you are getting and can actually be a lot cheaper then dining out. I personally do believe in "cheat meals" not cheat days!!!

I am also not a fan of using a scale to determine ideal weight and fitness. You will know when you are in shape and you don't need 6 pack abs to prove it.

I am a believer of training with a group. It will help motivate you to keep going. I have a set of friends that will text me and call me out if I haven't been in the gym and I better have a good excuse why or I am going to hear about it so get thick skin if you go this route. They are calling you out to motivate you.

my problem is I like beer and whiskey which will kill your progress so cut it out. Yeah I'm the pot calling the kettle black on this subject but I know what happens when I do cut out alcohol and it is very beneficial.

I absolutely HATE running but a mile takes 10-11 mins at a very slow pace. Do it multiple times a day. I have been doing it a year now and I average 9 min miles which is still pretty slow but I do it all the time. It doesn't take a lot to get your butt outside. Your knees and ankles might start hurting a little but the pain will go away eventually. Just walk when you need too.

a few years ago I weight 250 now I'm at 200 and in the best shape of my life. I may not be fast or pretty but I know I can hike up a mountain if I need to

Just got back from WY Bridger Teton area. Thought I had the workout figured out but that altitude was tough! Cardio at 1500 ft above sea level isn't the same, and I live in the mountains (lol) of PA.

Thanks for all the advice! My brother is also doing the same thing, and we keep each other accountable. The intermittent fasting along with the exercise looks like something I may need to look into. I am not sure about the 8 hr but may be able to do the 10 hr.

Value the consistency of both your exercise and your healthy eating over any particular plan or gimmick. Value lost inches even more than lost pounds. Get a heart rate monitor and learn where your heart needs to be for the aerobic portion of your regimen. (This not only tells you when you need to step it up, it tells you when you are over-training.) Don't neglect stretching/mobility. Lastly, there will be setbacks, it's a matter of when, not if. Get back on that horse as soon as you can, or make adjustments for something like an injury. Every workout builds your willpower and determination!

For what it's worth I am a big dude and I love to yo yo my fitness and weight lol. I go to 300 pounds and then down to 240 all the time lol, it's not good.

I will say weight lifting does a ton more than cardio does for losing fat. I will also caution if you've never lifted or not much to find someone to teach you proper form. Deadlift, squats and a few other lifts aren't the best if your form sucks. However well worth it once you get the form down.

Intermittent fasting is a good way to go. I have used it and while it didn't work for me it worked for all my buddies. I am a macro counter myself, I use different combos of macros based on my goal. I have been trying to bench 600 so sometimes I will go into build phase and I use different macros than when I am doing a cut phase.
anyway it's a life long journey and you'll likely have successes and failures. But keep on it and you'll get there.

I think it helps to be accountable to someone besides your self in the weight loss phase.. Maybe even weight watchers. They will reeducate you on good eating.
"What gets measured.gets done."
I am not a fan of fad diets.
Trend toward exercise and eating that you can sustain and let that become your normal.
Pulling for you!

Keep going. Don't stop.

I appreciate this thread and your efforts.
Leveraging what was said above.
Personally, walking is a very simple way to get you going.
I'd like to add that if it is ok with your doctor, as you drop weight, start using a back pack on your walks. Increase the back pack weight as you loose the lbs.

By definition, you can walk the distance at that weight and you'll get more done with your walks no matter the time frame you use. This also helps for those of us who don't have many hills to walk.
Weight in the pack, is helpful even if you are walking flat.

Keep the ideas coming and don't stop.

Someone once told me, "weight is lost with diet, fitness is gained by exercise". Also heard somewhere along the way, "you can't out exercise a bad diet". You might want to look into some food delivery service that lays out the exact calories you're going to eat rather than guess at it. Factor75, Freshly, CavemanChefs, there's a million of them.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.