Well finally did it...sold all my reloading stuff !! Anyone else shooting factory ?

I did get a unique opportunity a couple of weeks ago to compare old factory ammo vs. new. I've been able to get sub-moa groups from a factory Weatherby Vanguard 7mm Rem Mag, not the MOA version, using Federal Premium. Even at 600 yds., I got 4" groups with a 10-15 mph cross wind. A friend gave me some ammo he'd bought for his back in the '60's. Federal Premium, Remington Core-lokt, and Winchester Power Point. Best I could get was 3" at 100 with the Winchester, which were 175 gr. I mainly wanted them for the brass. I did note a couple of interesting observations:
- The first shot fired of the Federal had a hang-fire. It gave a very soft thump, then a hard one.
- The Winchester jackets were not uniform. The exposed lead tip was not consistent around the circumference.

I just started reloading for this rifle last night, starting with Hodgdon Hyb 100V. That's the only suitable powder I have on hand at the moment, so I'll see what it can do.

If you shoot a lot at 800 or maybe 1000-1500 the reloads or custom ammo would probably be must better. Lower SDs. Factory ammo might shoot great groups at short range but will open up at farther ranges due to less consistent velocity that doesn't rear its head close

Depending on what cartridges you use reloading can pay for itself real fast. My friend shoots a 30-378wby and I taught him to reload and he paid for all his equipment in just 3 boxes of ammo. Plus you just can't get all the custom bullets in factory loads. I agree that factory ammo has come a long way but it will never out shoot ammo you tune to your rifle.
Shep

I'm not trying to justify reloading with cost but for the people that shoot the big bores it is the only way to go. Some center fire ammo cost as much as$18.70 per round but can be loaded for as little as $3.50 per round with the same components. That is a 5 + times saving. typical long range magnums are still less expensive to load than buy, but again the quality will always be better that factory ammo. especially if your accuracy expectations are less than 1/4 MOA.

The quality of the loaded ammo is directly related to the time spent loading it. I have seen some very good accuracy with some forms/brands of custom factory ammo. But none have shot consistent 1/10th MOA groups that I have seen, and I wouldn't expect that of them anyway because of the way they are loaded and the different rifles they are fired in.

This is one of those issues/debates that will never be agreed on because of the difference in shooters requirements. I cant think of a single example of a bench rest shooter using or winning with factory loads. I also know many hunters that are happy with 1.5 to 2'' MOA so the real difference in in the shooter. 👍

J E CUSTOM

My friend and his dad had 8 boxes of empty brass already so it was a no brainier. He got the rcbs rockchucker kit at Cabela's for 199 bucks. I added about another 100 bucks of stuff he needed to his list and away he went. Sometimes before a match I get the oh crap I need to load 100 rounds today but it goes pretty fast.
Shep

When I started, I tried to avoid reloading. I have small kids, a house that needs renovations all the time, an old car that needs to be serviced and fixed all the time, a pretty demanding job, I live in a relatively small house with limited storage and hobby space, so I really wanted to keep it simple and just buy what I need.

When I couldn't find a factory ammo that would shoot even 2 or maybe even 3 MOA consistently, I thought I must be a terrible shooter, the rifle I bought must be junk, or I need to start reloading. A friend of mine is a reloader and we just guesstimated a reasonable load, and I went to the range. I didn't expect much, but the group size sank to something like 1/4 of what it used to be with factory ammo. I ordered a reloading set the same day.

If I could find a hunting round that has a premium bullet and that would shoot in my rifle, I'd be happy, almost no matter what it costs. I've spent hundreds of dollars on equipment, gunpowder, bullets and fuel driving to the range and back, so if I could buy a box of good stuff for 50 bucks it would be almost cheap. Plus it would save a lot of money and hassle. I completely understand that the situation might be different if you're a pensioner with an endless supply of time or if you're a student trying to make the ends meet, but at the moment I'm going through a phase in the life where anything you can buy with money is cheap, but you don't have enough hours in a day or days in a week.

First I take pride in loading my own.Just enjoy doing it find it to be relaxing. Some may say their time is worth money one said 75.00 dollars does he think about that as he watches tv or mows his yard to me the money has less to do with than other factors . But that's just my thoughts.

The reloading part is half the fun. If I lost that part of the sport it wouldn't be as rewarding. I can definitely see in some people's lives factory ammo saves them time and if it works for you that's great. Time at my reloading table is just as fun as fishing or hunting to me. And I don't have to go anywhere to do it. And I can do it in the night time hours when all I would be doing is watching TV. Sorry I got to go, I'm watching TV right now.
Shep

I'm not trying to justify reloading with cost but for the people that shoot the big bores it is the only way to go. Some center fire ammo cost as much as$18.70 per round but can be loaded for as little as $3.50 per round with the same components. That is a 5 + times saving. typical long range magnums are still less expensive to load than buy, but again the quality will always be better that factory ammo. especially if your accuracy expectations are less than 1/4 MOA.

The quality of the loaded ammo is directly related to the time spent loading it. I have seen some very good accuracy with some forms/brands of custom factory ammo. But none have shot consistent 1/10th MOA groups that I have seen, and I wouldn't expect that of them anyway because of the way they are loaded and the different rifles they are fired in.

This is one of those issues/debates that will never be agreed on because of the difference in shooters requirements. I cant think of a single example of a bench rest shooter using or winning with factory loads. I also know many hunters that are happy with 1.5 to 2'' MOA so the real difference in in the shooter. 👍

J E CUSTOM
"So the real difference is in the shooter..." If you're happy shooting factory and you can, fantastic. If you're a reloading addict--and happy--that's fantastic. There's no value judgement here, no good or bad, no right or wrong and no black and white. Just freedom to choose. Of course there are--I'm making a prejudiced assumption here--others like me, insane in the membrane, who would reload even if factory were free, why even if I were paid to take them! I expect company today; those fellas donned in white bearing a cordura sleeveless shirt... I just love reloading, shooting, hunting; jeez they're here already... It's what we're doing that insures that we can keep on doing it. Didn't Jefferson say "If one doesn't exercise reloading then they'll lose the knowledge, ability, and freedom to reload." Didn't he?

In order to feed my 30-378 ,7mm stw ,300 weatherbys, 338 win mag and my 348 win plus all the other guns we shoot I pretty well have to handload. I know there is some good factory stuff being put out nowadays . My oldest sons 6.5 y'all know what really likes the nosler factory ammo . Found it on sale and bought it just to get the brass.

Shoot just the 30-378 and the 7mm stw would cause me to almost have to work a second job to shoot them on a regular basis . And I do in all honesty like the job I have now but I sure don't want a second one.🤪🤪

Yep, I shoot factory ammo. I don't have the time to reload, and frankly reloading is more expensive if you include the value of your time.

Factory ammo is great nowadays, and I've had no problems shooting 1-MOA plates out to 1,000 yards with factory ammo. Even shot out to 1,400 yards many times with it, and did fine considering.
Agreed. Whenever someone asks me about how much money they'd save if they went to handloading I tell them "if the goal is to save money don't get into handloading". I do save money per round yes but at this point I know full well I do it because I find satisfaction in it more than any other reason.

I shoot mostly factory ammunition. I prefer premium ammo with accubond and ttsx and my 7 mag loves the Hornady Superperformance 162gr SST.

One thing that I have found to be useful is to continue to check bullet runout. If I get a box that is all over the place, I will use it for foulers and/or not sweat whatever MOA it produces. It is also fine for close range hog hunting.

I use Dallas Reloads for my 270WBY ammunition - it is about 60% of the cost of Weatherby's premium accubond (about the same price as wby select plus).

All of the above gets me what I need for hunting Texas where I have not ever had a shot longer than 500yds.

For longer range plinking, I leech off my buddy's equipment for hand loads and in turn buy more bullets, powders and primers on his behalf than I use. I bring the beer and bbq, too ;-)

If you are shooting a round that can be purchased for $20-$30/box, it could take you several years to break even if you purchase the high end reloading equipment, that doesn't include your time. If you put a value on the time spent reloading, there is no way it is cheaper to reload vs buy factory ammo.

ROI (Return of Investment) depends on lots of factors. I can build a 20-count box of .45-70 ammo for $5.25 but the cheapest I can buy is $30 a box Ten boxes save $250, which will buy a lot of good reloading equipment – more than enough to get started - especially if you buy used. My RCBS Rock Chucker press loaded thousands and thousands of rounds and was good as new when I gave it to Big Brother. Load data is free online.

I shoot a lot of Barnes TTSX. Factory ammo for my rifles runs $44-50 per box. I can build it for about $18 a box, a savings of $26-$32.

I also shoot a lot of Nosler AB. Same savings.

Plinking or low-cost hunting ammo? $10.50 a box for .30-06.

Shortages of factory ammo? No problem – build your own.

The time required to build a box of 20 is about 20-30 minutes total, including time to deprime, clean, trim, prime and charge the case, and load the bullet. Depending on your setup and experience, the time required may be more or less.

My time is important to me but reloading is my hobby – and an enjoyable one.

Some people golf, I reload. And shoot.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts