Well finally did it...sold all my reloading stuff !! Anyone else shooting factory ?

Terry3006

I'll be 72 this year, none of my kids are reloading. They can but my oldest son and grandson bow hunt mostly and my other son likes pistols and factory ammo. He shoots a lot but mostly 9mm. Anyway I was getting tired of it. I've been reloading since the mid 1970's.
Had a couple of good friends( young guys) just getting into reloading so they came over and got it all. Good guys and they are enjoying it !!!

So I head to the range today for the first time with 3 rifles and all factory ammunition.

Pre 64 270 is shooting around 1" per several 3 shot groups with Barnes 130 TTSX.

Barrett Fieldcraft 6.5 Creedmoor is an inch (some better) with several groups. I used all factory loads, Hornady 147 ELDX 2710 FPS, Berger 156 EOL 2638 FPS, and Berger 135 Classic Hunter 2735 FPS

Then a GAP Xtreme Hunter, 6.5 PRC, I shot only Hornady 143 ELDX , 3010 FPS. Around 18 shots today at just barely a little over an inch for all.

So, I was happy with the results today shooting at 100 yards !! Gonna shoot in a few days at 200 yards then later this summer we'll be shooting out to 900 and in between with the 65's. Life is still good, haha !!!

I'm a factory ammo shooter. I've thought long and hard about reloading but with the quality of off the shelf ammo these days, not to mention the costs of buying everything needed to start reloading. I simply can't justify it. Premium ammo can usually outshoot my abilities anyway.

I'm a factory ammo shooter. I've thought long and hard about reloading but with the quality of off the shelf ammo these days, not to mention the costs of buying everything needed to start reloading. I simply can't justify it. Premium ammo can usually outshoot my abilities anyway.

Yes, plenty of good ammo these days.

I may have left a little accuracy behind with the 6.5 PRC. The first loads with the 139 Scenars were very promising (didn't really follow through with it) and shot a little better than the factory Hornadys. I contacted Berger, and wish they would offer some factory ammo also.

I could not afford to shoot if I shot factory ammo. High quality ammo here in Canada land of the we think we are free runs around 60 dollars a box.

Oh, believe me, I know it's not for everyone. I'm really late to long range shooting and hunting ,only just started doing that about 3 years ago. I may shoot only a couple hundred rounds this year and go on one or two hunts.

Well, you have definitely earned the right to do as you choose!
I still shoot too much and cannot go this route yet, but am glad you found a path that works.

Problem with factory ammo is when you start shooting longer distances the SD/ES isn't good enough. Remember factory ammo uses volumetric powder charges thrown through a mechanical powder measure. It's not weighed as you would do at home. At 100 to 200 yards you may see good groups with thrown charges like short range BR guys do but when you stretch the distance the verticle is going to drive you crazy.
Shep

Problem with factory ammo is when you start shooting longer distances the SD/ES isn't good enough. Remember factory ammo uses volumetric powder charges thrown through a mechanical powder measure. It's not weighed as you would do at home. At 100 to 200 yards you may see good groups with thrown charges like short range BR guys do but when you stretch the distance the verticle is going to drive you crazy.
Shep
A lot of the Match ammo has good SDs and ES. All of my guns love Hornady Match - I shoot it out to 1250 in my 6mm creedmoor and 6.5 PRC. Man, factory ammo has come such a long ways with all the technology available. If you have a nice rifle, it's pretty easy to find some that shoot 1/2 moa.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.