Well 30 Nosler it is, so COAL question!

Rich.......how does a case with 3 grains less powder capacity run 100 fps faster in the same barrel length? Or even shorter in some instances. It's more pressure in the chamber, that's the only way possible, physics.

I've got a 25sst, and a 7 Sherman max, and a 6.5 max soon to be done. I have yet to see speeds that others/yourself have achieved. I'm running your brass, 26" barrels, I anneal with an amp, auto trickler, best bullets and powders money can buy. What am I doing wrong? Am I getting junk barrels every time around? My 25 sst has 110 rounds on it now, and the other day I had swipe with almost everything I test from 3040fps-3300fps, 131 ace, N565, N570, Rl26, RL33. Action is a Terminus Apolo, all top the line stuff. Both rifles have proof barrels, and these will be the last that I buy. I just don't think I'd get bad ones back to back. Their shop is 5 miles down the road maybe I'll have em gauged.
I'm not going to say its your barrels, but, we have had one bad proof after another!
What we've seen is high pressure/low velocity. They have tight spots apparently that cause spiking.
As far as my design, pressure, etc, etc. Ive given up trying to explain or even justify anything. I'll just say this. You've seen it and hundreds of others have too! They perform well! My belief is that design matters and its not a single issue matter. I think There is a certain amount of efficiency involved and I also think they WILL run at higher pressure on the same brass. They normally get a little more barrel life than most competitors too.
I get double digit loads at near 3000' with 245's in my 30 SM, for example.
The bottom line is. they perform so people can say or think whatever they think the reasons are, and it really doesnt matter why if everything is performing like it is.
PERIOD
The fact that youre getting x marks at 3040' is troubling to me!
I have guys with 22" barrels running 3200' no problem.
Not my data, theirs.

Guys we are off topic. The OP decided he wants a 30 Nosler. I think he has enough input to answer his original question. The 30 nosler will run 3100fps with a 215, h1000, a freebore of .200, in a 26" barrel. I have done it with multiple rifles. N570 will make it go faster or run the same speed with less pressure. The barrel will dictate where accuracy is.
Agree!!

Op here are a couple things to consider based on the research I've been doing since I'm building one,

If you run a SAMMI spec reamer then you will be closer to the 2950 speeds with 215s for example versus,

A .200-215 freebore will get you close to 3100 with 215s

Also something to consider if you go with the longer freebore then you run the risk of running out of magazine space as you chase the lands to maintain accuracy. If you don't care about that then this point isn't relevant.

Just my observations to this point, YMMV.

He was concerned about the feeding of the Norma. The RUM was not over looked, I was concerned with the overall COAL of the RUM, I am limited to no more then 3.8" and from what several ppl have talked about you really need a 4" wyatt box to wake the rum up. I by now means know it all and always looking for good info. In my small mind I plan on shooting at the "top end node" of the round since it's more of a hunting rig and not planning on firing a lot of rounds at a time. If I can get 5-6 reloads of my brass I will be happy and any more then that I will be very pleased.

My 300 RUM does 3150 fps with Berger 210's and Hornady 212's. All at 3.8" with the shorter Wyatt's box. 27" bbl.

im also doing a 30 Nosler with about 0.170" freebore that will put the OAL right under 3.6" with Berger 210's. It won't do what my RUM will do in the same length barrels (it's going in a custom XP-100 anyway).

The 30SM has 98gr capacity, the 30 nosler in adg brass is 101. Freebore and pressure being equal, these two cases will be within 25 fps of one another. The advantage to the 30SM is when guys step to that 70-80k psi ranges. That's when it pulls away, actually making better performance than my 300 norma improved. Mind boggling.......
well thats what happens when you run it into fearless territory,,, saw another thread were a guy was seeing ejector swipes but no bolt lift and was gonna run it there!!!! :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Guys thanks for the information and comments! They have all been priceless and I will continue to use this place for information. And I totally understand that a lot on here is opinion and that no animal would know the difference drown range. I do believe that by doing some research myself and by getting a lot of opinions/facts from the good ppl on this forum that I can best make my decision for what will best suit myself and situation!
As always, I have enjoyed this thread!

I have built a bunch of 30 noslers and 30-28 noslers, and still do. One of the best all around elk cartidges there is, they check a lot of boxes. Typically the high node with a 215 and h1000 is in the 3080-3100 area with a 26" barrel and .225fb. We were even doing this on nosler brass before ADG was making it. ADG is the far better choice. 7828ssc is also a really good choice if H1000 does not shoot well in your barrel. Consistent accuracy trumps velocity. One thing that you wont believe until you see it is that how the rifle is tuned can have more effect on windage than 100 fps. Often times a lower node can produce a more stable bullet (smaller hole in the target) and it will shoot through the wind better than the high node. I just dont worry about velocity, accuracy that is consistent day in day out is my goal. I also try to avoid pressure related issues like lug setback and short brass life. I expect brass to last as long as I want to reload it, 20-30 firings or more. Comparing cartridges based on anecdotal evidence is tough. Part of this is a "green" barrel will really let you put some powder in it and reach crazy speeds. 200 rounds later you wont even get close to the same velocities, also barrels play a big role. Bore dimensions alone can be worth well over 100 fps.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts