Well 30 Nosler it is, so COAL question!

Yes! I agree, I would like to keep my fps over 3k MV and ideal would like to push 3100 or a lil over with the 200-215 bullets. I want a Sherman but I just don't want to fire form, I know a lot of ppl will say it's easy and that I just do it during barrel break in, I still don't want to...

I went back and reread this.

You're going to need a hot powder like n570 to get anything close to your goal with a 30 nos. And at that, you'll be hard on brass and barrel.

Based on your goal, I'd suggest the 30 Sherman or 30-28 nosler.
I know you're not a fan of fireforming but knock out 100 rounds of ADG brass and you'll be good for a long time. The other option would be hydro forming of the brass.

I can assure you the 30 Nosler in a 26" barrel .225 freebore ADG brass H1000 and 215 will get you you 3100 or knocking on the door

Dang I'd sure like to know what I'm doing wrong...

I've hit 3050 with the 215 and H1k but was just touching powder to do it. Running compition dies you cant comoress powder.. That's not much wiggle room and of course my best accuracy was at 2950.

Having said that, I run the 230 at 2950 and ran it to 3050 as well.

Dang I'd sure like to know what I'm doing wrong...

I've hit 3050 with the 215 and H1k but was just touching powder to do it. Running compition dies you cant comoress powder.. That's not much wiggle room and of course my best accuracy was at 2950.

Having said that, I run the 230 at 2950 and ran it to 3050 as well.
Your 3.593" COAL is the problem mine are 3.690"COAL w/215

j

I'm pretty sure there's a little miscommunication here between O.P and his Smith, im pretty sure he wanted a dummy round with the bullet seated with the boatil- bearing surface seated at the neck shoulder junction on the brass.
Thanks Sherm...I was actually thinking of addressing this question to You. Lol

Yes! I agree, I would like to keep my fps over 3k MV and ideal would like to push 3100 or a lil over with the 200-215 bullets. I want a Sherman but I just don't want to fire form, I know a lot of ppl will say it's easy and that I just do it during barrel break in, I still don't want to.... at least not at this point in my reloading and LR hobby career. If anyone(ADG) would make Sherman brass that doesn't need to be fire formed then I am a go!! To believe and hope the 30 Nosler will perform as I would like, I know it will do all and more then I "need" to kill game that I will chase Here in North America!
The Nosler will outrun the SM. I don't care what some say. The case capacity of the Nosler is greater and will outrun the SM at the same pressure. If performance is your desire the Nosler is the better cartridge period. I like around .200 freebore for the 215berger.

The Nosler will outrun the SM. I don't care what some say. The case capacity of the Nosler is greater and will outrun the SM at the same pressure. If performance is your desire the Nosler is the better cartridge period. I like around .200 freebore for the 215berger.
The 30SM has 98gr capacity, the 30 nosler in adg brass is 101. Freebore and pressure being equal, these two cases will be within 25 fps of one another. The advantage to the 30SM is when guys step to that 70-80k psi ranges. That's when it pulls away, actually making better performance than my 300 norma improved. Mind boggling.......

The 30SM has 98gr capacity, the 30 nosler in adg brass is 101. Freebore and pressure being equal, these two cases will be within 25 fps of one another. The advantage to the 30SM is when guys step to that 70-80k psi ranges. That's when it pulls away, actually making better performance than my 300 norma improved. Mind boggling.......

Not buying it. Why do you think that? Because Rich says? I like Rich but this is just nonsense. There is no magic in physics. The fraction of inches difference in case taper and very small difference in shoulder angle are not breaking the laws of physics. Your money and time. I'll stick with the nearly identical case with the extra capacity and no extra work.

Not buying it. Why do you think that? Because Rich says? I like Rich but this is just nonsense. There is no magic in physics. The fraction of inches difference in case taper and very small difference in shoulder angle are not breaking the laws of physics. Your money and time. I'll stick with the nearly identical case with the extra capacity and no extra work.
Well.......I've observed chrono reports from guys with the 30 and 28SM cases and what the case heads looked like after. I look at the speeds in disbelief myself. I also have experience with 30 and 28 nosler, 300 norma improved, 300 wsm, 300 rum. I know where they run with 26" barrels in adg or lapua brass with the hot powders. I'm not a proponent of the Shermans by any means, I have a few but I know they are very hot loads to get what Rich advertises which my rifles don't, as his word is usually absolute best case scenario. They get their efficiency and performance from running high pressure in smaller cases with square dimensions. Bigger case with lower pressure will always be the more practical approach.

Well.......I've observed chrono reports from guys with the 30 and 28SM cases and what the case heads looked like after. I look at the speeds in disbelief myself. I also have experience with 30 and 28 nosler, 300 norma improved, 300 wsm, 300 rum. I know where they run with 26" barrels in adg or lapua brass with the hot powders. I'm not a proponent of the Shermans by any means, I have a few but I know they are very hot loads to get what Rich advertises which my rifles don't, as his word is usually absolute best case scenario. They get their efficiency and performance from running high pressure in smaller cases with square dimensions. Bigger case with lower pressure will always be the more practical approach.

One thing that is really confusing me:
Its uncanny the barrel and case life we're getting at 75,000PSI!!
Guess I'd better re think this🤔
BTW, most of the numbers are coming in from clients, not from Rich.
As far as I know, they put there pants on and do their load developement like everybody else. In fact, some of them are you guys.
Now I'm even more confused🤔
I dont know, maybe I'll just keep on what Im doing.

One thing that is really confusing me:
Its uncanny the barrel and case life we're getting at 75,000PSI!!
Guess I'd better re think this🤔
BTW, most of the numbers are coming in from clients, not from Rich.
As far as I know, they put there pants on and do their load developement like everybody else. In fact, some of them are you guys.
Now I'm even more confused🤔
I dont know, maybe I'll just keep on what Im doing.
Rich.......how does a case with 3 grains less powder capacity run 100 fps faster in the same barrel length? Or even shorter in some instances. It's more pressure in the chamber, that's the only way possible, physics.

I've got a 25sst, and a 7 Sherman max, and a 6.5 max soon to be done. I have yet to see speeds that others/yourself have achieved. I'm running your brass, 26" barrels, I anneal with an amp, auto trickler, best bullets and powders money can buy. What am I doing wrong? Am I getting junk barrels every time around? My 25 sst has 110 rounds on it now, and the other day I had swipe with almost everything I test from 3040fps-3300fps, 131 ace, N565, N570, Rl26, RL33. Action is a Terminus Apolo, all top the line stuff. Both rifles have proof barrels, and these will be the last that I buy. I just don't think I'd get bad ones back to back. Their shop is 5 miles down the road maybe I'll have em gauged.

Guys we are off topic. The OP decided he wants a 30 Nosler. I think he has enough input to answer his original question. The 30 nosler will run 3100fps with a 215, h1000, a freebore of .200, in a 26" barrel. I have done it with multiple rifles. N570 will make it go faster or run the same speed with less pressure. The barrel will dictate where accuracy is.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.