Well 30 Nosler it is, so COAL question!

Lahunter76

First of all I would like to thank everyone on this site that's answered the countless direct messages and threads questions!
First I had narrowed it down to a 300 Norma and a 30 Nosler, and then I settled on a 300 Norma......
But after I sit down with the Gunsmith he talked me out of the 300 Norma due to the donor action and it not being able to feed reliably and attempted to talk me into a 300 PRC which I have no issues with but I thought hey if I do a PRC why not a Sherman!!! But we began to talk about fire forming and I again decided against it. So since I decided I wasn't getting a 300 Norma I said go with one of my original two rounds which was the 30 Nosler.

Rifle Components:
Weatherby MK V action
Original trigger(worked over and I love it)
28" 1:9 twist #5 Hart barrel
McMillan Adj Game Warden stock
Current scope: Leupold VX5HD 3-15x56 Firedot
Leupold rings and mount
My plan is to put a NightForce NX8 4-32x50 SFP with a Picatinny rail and NightForce Rings
Harris Bipod 9-13" W/swivel and some accessories
.875 terminator break from defensive edge

Available reloading components I have on hand:
ADG Brass
Accubond LR 190
Berger 200.20
Berger 208
Berger 215
Fed215m Primers

H1000
7928ss
LRT
N560
N564
N570

My question is now about throat! My Gunsmith said to load him a load and he would cut the throat to the length I wanted and give me the freebore I would want. I told him to keep it SAMMi for now.

I will have pictures once I get it back! I know some may not like the route I have taken but it's been my journey and this site has been a huge part of it and I just again want to say thanks for all the great ppl on here that don't mind talking to a very novice LRHunter.

So if any one has any pet COALs let me know and the load info if you don't mind

Excited to be part of this community and ready to build my wife's rifle now!

I battled the same choice and went with the nosler. I thought hard about the sherman but felt it was a lot of work and barrel wear for the gain. Having said that, I'm a huge AI and sherman fan I just didn't need it for this build. I dont think ADG was making prc brass at that time and quality brass is always one of my top considerations on a build.

This is a loaded 30 nos in adg brass with a 215. Im now running a 230 at 2950 with H1K. Its COAL to the lands in my SAMMI chamber is 3.593 with the 230 and 3.578 with the 215.

The sherman will surely out run this by 100 or so fps but to me if you can get the heavies to 2900 you're good for nearly anything you want to do. My 230 at 2950 is doing 2000 fps at 950 yards and 5000 feet asl. Thats more than enough for all of us mortals in reality. If you really want more, you need to make a considerable step up in case capacity.

I find too many people get wrapped up in the this or that of a cartridge. Remember, you're designing a custom rifle. I start with a bullet and velocity goal, pick a barrel length and twist rate and determine a cartridge that will get me to my goal conservatively. I also decide based on brass availability and using H1K as a standard for magnums and varget or H4350 for non mags as they tend to run a little slower.

Here's my 30 with a 215 at .020 off the lands or a coal of 3.578.

Screenshot_20200311-194631_Photos.jpg

Last edited:
Yes! I agree, I would like to keep my fps over 3k MV and ideal would like to push 3100 or a lil over with the 200-215 bullets. I want a Sherman but I just don't want to fire form, I know a lot of ppl will say it's easy and that I just do it during barrel break in, I still don't want to.... at least not at this point in my reloading and LR hobby career. If anyone(ADG) would make Sherman brass that doesn't need to be fire formed then I am a go!! To believe and hope the 30 Nosler will perform as I would like, I know it will do all and more then I "need" to kill game that I will chase Here in North America!

Yes! I agree, I would like to keep my fps over 3k MV and ideal would like to push 3100 or a lil over with the 200-215 bullets. I want a Sherman but I just don't want to fire form, I know a lot of ppl will say it's easy and that I just do it during barrel break in, I still don't want to.... at least not at this point in my reloading and LR hobby career. If anyone(ADG) would make Sherman brass that doesn't need to be fire formed then I am a go!! To believe and hope the 30 Nosler will perform as I would like, I know it will do all and more then I "need" to kill game that I will chase Here in North America!
Those speed goals are on the Max end for the nosler case. Idk why your gunsmith steered you away from the Norma, it's a superior case especially when the shoulder is improved. 3100 with a 215 in a 100gr case or less, means 70k psi and higher, or a longer than standard barrel. The 300 rum gets overlooked all the time these days. It'll do all you're asking and then some.

He was concerned about the feeding of the Norma. The RUM was not over looked, I was concerned with the overall COAL of the RUM, I am limited to no more then 3.8" and from what several ppl have talked about you really need a 4" wyatt box to wake the rum up. I by now means know it all and always looking for good info. In my small mind I plan on shooting at the "top end node" of the round since it's more of a hunting rig and not planning on firing a lot of rounds at a time. If I can get 5-6 reloads of my brass I will be happy and any more then that I will be very pleased.

He was concerned about the feeding of the Norma. The RUM was not over looked, I was concerned with the overall COAL of the RUM, I am limited to no more then 3.8" and from what several ppl have talked about you really need a 4" wyatt box to wake the rum up. I by now means know it all and always looking for good info. In my small mind I plan on shooting at the "top end node" of the round since it's more of a hunting rig and not planning on firing a lot of rounds at a time. If I can get 5-6 reloads of my brass I will be happy and any more then that I will be very pleased.
My 300 norma improved feeds like a dream from a center feed wyatt's box, fed well off the feed lips prior to the center feed as well. If coal is a concern, ans you want those speeds, I would strongly advise the 300 norma, lapua brass is fantastic. Standard 300 norma was designed to run in automatic machine Guns, like the 50 and thr 308. If you look at all 3, they look very similar dimensionally.

I don't like the Norma on factory actions, its exactly why I built the 30-28.
The 30-28 will run the 215 easily at 3100.
The 30 Nosler you have to step on it but with ADG brass and .225 freebore it will do it.
All this with H1000

I would also suggest get ahold of some CCI 250 primers they seem to to better in these big 30 magnums and H1000

First of all I would like to thank everyone on this site that's answered the countless direct messages and threads questions!
First I had narrowed it down to a 300 Norma and a 30 Nosler, and then I settled on a 300 Norma......
But after I sit down with the Gunsmith he talked me out of the 300 Norma due to the donor action and it not being able to feed reliably and attempted to talk me into a 300 PRC which I have no issues with but I thought hey if I do a PRC why not a Sherman!!! But we began to talk about fire forming and I again decided against it. So since I decided I wasn't getting a 300 Norma I said go with one of my original two rounds which was the 30 Nosler.

Rifle Components:
Weatherby MK V action
Original trigger(worked over and I love it)
28" 1:9 twist #5 Hart barrel
McMillan Adj Game Warden stock
Current scope: Leupold VX5HD 3-15x56 Firedot
Leupold rings and mount
My plan is to put a NightForce NX8 4-32x50 SFP with a Picatinny rail and NightForce Rings
Harris Bipod 9-13" W/swivel and some accessories
.875 terminator break from defensive edge

Available reloading components I have on hand:
ADG Brass
Accubond LR 190
Berger 200.20
Berger 208
Berger 215
Fed215m Primers

H1000
7928ss
LRT
N560
N564
N570

My question is now about throat! My Gunsmith said to load him a load and he would cut the throat to the length I wanted and give me the freebore I would want. I told him to keep it SAMMi for now.

I will have pictures once I get it back! I know some may not like the route I have taken but it's been my journey and this site has been a huge part of it and I just again want to say thanks for all the great ppl on here that don't mind talking to a very novice LRHunter.

So if any one has any pet COALs let me know and the load info if you don't mind

Excited to be part of this community and ready to build my wife's rifle now!
I have only one question here...might seem odd or Even dumb to some....But how are you going to LOAD A LOAD and give it to your Smith if you haven't shot it First.....each weight of bullet we all know is a different size, different seating, different performance....no load development for sweet spot...so which one will you give him?

It seems like almost everyone wants to redline what ever cartridge they select. When I chose the 30Nosler it was with the understanding that it could be loaded moderately and still achieve the terminal ballistics to get the job done. It's easier on the brass, easier on the rifle and easier on the shooter who moved away from the 300RUM due to excessive blast.
I'm guessing that the elk killed with the 30Nosler didn't realize that my rifle no longer chambered the mighty RUM.

Ok, I by no means am a master at this, I am learning, my smith said that he had stuff to cut the free bore/throat after the chambered it? So I am just taking his word for it. He promised 1/2 moa or he would do what it took to achieve it

i run 300 Ultra Mags from a 3.850 mag box all the time

j
I have only one question here...might seem odd or Even dumb to some....But how are you going to LOAD A LOAD and give it to your Smith if you haven't shot it First.....each weight of bullet we all know is a different size, different seating, different performance....no load development for sweet spot...so which one will you give him?
I'm pretty sure there's a little miscommunication here between O.P and his Smith, im pretty sure he wanted a dummy round with the bullet seated with the boatil- bearing surface seated at the neck shoulder junction on the brass.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.