Welcome to our new members from the Specialty Pistols forum

This is Bruce (rooterpig ) . My wife and I actually visited with Ernie this past summer. He fixed
" we have not shot very far" . Had a great and educational time with Ernie . We would shoot till dark , get back to Ernie's house a hour later to a gourmet meal !!!! His wife's a sweet-heart!!!
You guys shot great, and is was great getting to know you!

Welcome guys! Welcome to Long Range Hunting! I've been a member here for years but used to shoot handgun religiously. When I was in the northwest I shot IHMSA. I think it was Hunter Pistol to practice for hunting. In fact it helped me take my first Washington mile deer with a 30 Herret. I still have Contenders and an original XP in 7BR but mostly what I shoot is rifles.

I was bitten by the handgun bug decades ago when I went hunting for whitetails in a shotgun only county here in Wisconsin. Handguns were allowed so I took the first deer after returning from the service with a 6" smith 686. Since then the xp-100 has been my addiction. Currently I have 7 different xp's now. 22-250 up to 350 magnum custom shop repeater. To bad this part of the site is going away.

Teri,
Thanks for posting.
Len Backus came up with the name for this section of LRH years ago.
This section of LRH, may say "Specialty Handgun Hunting," but as I have said before, it includes all things handguns.
A number of us here hunt with the 357 Magnum as well (Revolver and single-shot specialty pistol).

Feel free to post about anything you have mentioned.

What game have you killed with your S&W Model 19?
I have not done a lot of handgun hunting however many years ago now I did get a doe at 25 yards using .357 Magnum Hornady 158 gr XTP ammo. It was a one shot kill, but it wasn't a drop in place. She did run about 50 yards before dropping. There was very little blood to trail. The round stayed in the deer so bleeding was limited to the entrance wound. I do not make it a practice to hunt with a handgun however the Model 19 is with me when deer hunting with a bow. Not for the deer but for other creatures that would like to try to take the deer away. Some Game Wardens might take exception, but there is also a concealed carry license that accompanies the revolver.

Hello all!

Ernie, thanks for the invite here.

Those few days at WY-Shot were the highlights of my long-range education. (2015)
Thanks for those Awesome Days and Education.

Still shooting SPs both longer & shorter ranges.

284 Win above (Sav PTA), 6mmBR below (XP100R);
Also an old love, my SSK 'Tender in 45-70.
20190816_090451.jpg
Contender45-70.JPG

Mike B.
Downey CA