Welcome to our new members from the Specialty Pistols forum

Hey guys Rusty Scott here. Been looking around while waiting to be approved and I've seen a lot of familiar names from SP on here. Glad to have a place to go and talk specialty pistols! If I'm doing this right here's some of my builds over the last few years.

Attachments

• CED490B1-1C78-46BD-A6D7-E0B49A1F0F0C.jpeg
    CED490B1-1C78-46BD-A6D7-E0B49A1F0F0C.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 82
  • D27CA7FD-7F4C-432B-9A36-32F95C13E9C0.jpeg
    D27CA7FD-7F4C-432B-9A36-32F95C13E9C0.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 81
  • C623D6FE-8BC8-4664-86BE-41C1DA560900.jpeg
    C623D6FE-8BC8-4664-86BE-41C1DA560900.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 83
Hey guys Rusty Scott here. Been looking around while waiting to be approved and I've seen a lot of familiar names from SP on here. Glad to have a place to go and talk specialty pistols! If I'm doing this right here's some of my builds over the last few years.
Welcome Rusty!
What chamberings do you have pictured?

Welcome Rusty!
What chamberings do you have pictured?
The blued with maple/walnut is a Bullberry's 7/30 waters. The stainless with blue laminate is MGM 6ppc. And the two toned is a MGM 219 Donaldson Wasp. I made that grip and forend from a dogwood tree that I cut down at my parents house. That dogwood tree was kinda a fixture there since I was kid so it's kinda sentimental.

Lots of very nice setups here, and its nice to see this section here at LRH!

Southern Colorado guy but I jump around alot for work.
I shoot a plain jane gen1 contender, .223, 44 mag and 22lr, S&W 686-6, and a 1968 vintage S&W m41.

The pistols have always gotten shot more than the rifles but the eyes are making it harder to hit with open sights so I'm looking for a better scope for the .223. Used to use a longish eye relief rifle scope and shoot with my gun parralel to my chest and supported with a bent elbow and forearm. I havent found a rifle scope to hold up well to the recoil and I didn't manage to get one of the burris medium eye relef scopes before they stopped making them.

Longest elk shot with the .44 was 110y. Pretty happy with its performance. No pics of that unfortunately...I never thought to take pictures back then.

I'd like to get a long throated, fast twist barrel shooting a rimmed 6.5 or 7mm STE since I have the brass already from shooting my 94 winchester and I could shoot long high bc bullets in it for better range. Seems like it would be pretty effective for deer hunting and fun at the range.

Seems like I remember reading about Don Bower having a bunch of wildcats based off the 307 win case and using them in the gen 1 contender.

Last edited:
Selmerfan, AKA Willie Rosin. Currently and for the foreseeable future hanging out in Southeastern Iowa. I started with an XP100 in 7BR a couple of decades ago and got hooked. I've been killing deer in Iowa, Minnesota, and South Dakota with a TC Encore in either .260 Rem or .357 Max for over a decade. This past year my oldest daughter claimed the TC as her own and told me I needed a different gun. We hunt the late season muzzleloader in Iowa, which allows centerfire pistols as long as they meet the cartridge restrictions of Iowa, which is currently anything .350"-.500" that produces 500 ft/lbs at the muzzle is legal. So I picked up an XP100 in .350 Rem Mag and I'm loving it.
9211A333-540B-4EED-AE84-E27AA7340F5F.jpeg

I've spent a lot of time lurking silently here and on SP over the years. I'm sad to see SP going away but i am glad we have this forum. I have many specialty pistols, Strikers in 6.5 x .284, .338 Edge, encores in 7mm-08, .17 HMR, S&W Custom Shop .460 S&W.

I actually came across two striker actions that i plan to build out soon. Dreaming of calibers now…

This is Bruce (rooterpig ) . My wife and I actually visited with Ernie this past summer. He fixed
" we have not shot very far" . Had a great and educational time with Ernie . We would shoot till dark , get back to Ernie's house a hour later to a gourmet meal !!!! His wife's a sweet-heart!!!

good morning
I had a Weatherby pistol years ago
now thinking about maybe a left handed bolt right side eject sp
maybe in some thing 25cal or 6 mm is any one out there making them
The Borden Alpine XP (Clone (-100 action) can be ordered in left bolt/left port
Your center-grip stock options are limited (they have been for awhile anyway).
You can order a McMillan (solid fill fiberglass) without inletting, and let your smith do that.
You can order a Rockwell Stock (laminated) in left bolt/left port and it will be inletted.
Not to be mean but the Rockwell stocks have had some breakage problems in the past in the grip area (both in rear grip and in center-grip stock).
I have been told that Jim Jr has reinforced that area. The other issue is that the barreled action does not sit down far enough in the stock, which causes the trigger to not be down far enough.
I have been told these issues have been addressed. There was a time where Jim Jr. was extremely hard to get a hold of and things took a long time for orders to come through.
I want there to be more options for center-grip XP's.
I have three Rockwell stocks myself when his dad (Senior) was running it. They are beautiful. The action not sitting low enough was a problem then, and there was some grip breakage issues then with some other customers as well. Senior always made it right.
Things happen and things break. This is a reality of life. I have this problem from time to time with my SEB products, and you make it right quickly when it happens.
Jim Sr is a friend, and he has been good to the handgun competitions.

Recent Posts