Weird stuff @ the range...

Probably the day I was shooting a muzzleloader, and following a reload, looked and saw legs under the target frame. Quite a few folks on the line, line hot, nobody called for a break, no light no buzzer. Fellow got out of his truck walked past everyone and hung his target. Why he felt the need to go behind the frames as well who knows, but when he came back he walked through the line to his truck for a drink out of a paper sack. The strange part was he was known to most of the guys, and I was the only one that had a problem with it, so I picked up my stuff and left. One of the days you find yourself reviewing your thoughts on the inclusiveness of the 2nd Amendment.[/QUOTE

I think we have a winner , or maybe best decribed as a loser! close 2nd- 270 win in 270wby, third- 7mm in 300wm. And to think I thought finding 4 new 7.7 jap brass might make top 5 of oddities.
As for the rugers blowing up, Had a close family friend grenade a 44 blk hawk w/dbl bullseye load also. Brand new first time shooting it. Very experienced reloader and shooter, just wasn't paying attention. It can happen to the best of us. Buckled the top strap, blew cyclinder in half. No injuries but burnt the hair off his hand.

Gene
And ruined his best pair of underwear no doubt

A 270 Win will shoot in a magnum.I had a guy in the bench next to me one day shoot a 270 Win in a 300 Win Mag.I didn't go off the first or the second time but the third time was a charm.The rifle was OK,the shooter survived,just a few tiny bleeding cuts on his face from the shrapnel that blew out of the rifle.He was blaming it on the Remington ammo.The case was stuck in the chamber and I had a cleaning rod with me,so I got the distorted blown to hell case out for him.I asked him what caliber the rifle was and his reply was"300 Win Mag".You should have seen the sheepish look on his face when I told him it was a 270 Win. case.He and his daughter were shooting four rifles and they had all their ammo scattered in one big pile,he picked up the wrong one.He was lucky,hell,me and his daughter were lucky too!!!Another case of the shooter on the bench next to me,guy was wondering why the necks of his cases were blowing off when he shot and also where they were going after they did!!!After three or four rounds of this happening,he looked at the headstamp on one of them,he found he was accidentally shooting his 7mag ammo out of his 300 Win. Mag!!!Guess it's a good thing it was a smaller caliber shooting out of a larger caliber and not the other way around!!!We both may of had some injuries.It pays to be safe!

sighting in my 30-06 several years ago... 180 grain Sierra Gamekings... groundhog crosses the range at 85 yards... and STOPS and looks at me.

I wish I could say I avoided the temptation... but there's no range officer at this range... sort of out in the middle of nowhere... so you know the rest of the story. :D

Not weird at all...expected!

I was load testing last year at out range, and two lead spreaders showed up and preceeded to run a couple hundred bucks worth of lead through their sks's they had just bought. They didn't hit anything, and wasn't trying to really, at 100 yards. At which point one guy said "these things shoot pretty good!". Then the "smarter" of the two decided to see how they shot next to his brand new AR. He just got the clip together and the "second smart" one decided to bet him he couldn't shoot a bowling pin while he held it at 100 yards......we were packing up anyways, but I didn't stick around. I never read any follow up story in the obituaries, but I decided i better not interveen with natural selection........
Nimrod

I was load testing last year at out range, and two lead spreaders showed up and preceeded to run a couple hundred bucks worth of lead through their sks's they had just bought. They didn't hit anything, and wasn't trying to really, at 100 yards. At which point one guy said "these things shoot pretty good!". Then the "smarter" of the two decided to see how they shot next to his brand new AR. He just got the clip together and the "second smart" one decided to bet him he couldn't shoot a bowling pin while he held it at 100 yards......we were packing up anyways, but I didn't stick around. I never read any follow up story in the obituaries, but I decided i better not interveen with natural selection........
Nimrod

LOL...good call on lack of intervention. Somethings just need to take their natural course.

In the past year I have had 3 deer walk out onto the range, A large ground hog (Whistle Pig!) and 3 weeks ago, I had a Tom Turkey, rather large in full regalia cross right through at 50 yards. His tail feathers on full display such that I thought I had lost eye relief and tried to rearrange my cheek weld before I finally saw movement. Lifted my head and was totally amazed that the rifle shots seemed not to be a hindrance to him at all. I will say that I resisted the urge in all cases to cull the wildlife gene pool....

In the past year I have had 3 deer walk out onto the range, A large ground hog (Whistle Pig!) and 3 weeks ago, I had a Tom Turkey, rather large in full regalia cross right through at 50 yards. His tail feathers on full display such that I thought I had lost eye relief and tried to rearrange my cheek weld before I finally saw movement. Lifted my head and was totally amazed that the rifle shots seemed not to be a hindrance to him at all. I will say that I resisted the urge in all cases to cull the wildlife gene pool....

It's never ceases to amaze me how all the bunnie hugger groups can squeal so much about how this or that is bad because it miiiggghht disturb the **** spotted owl, but yet it's pretty much a regular occurrence for folks to have to stop shooting because one critter or another walked out on the range:rolleyes:

I think the best thing I picked up at the range is never let somebody else do your reloading for you. I had a buddy whos uncle is a great gunsmith he built my 280 AI for me, now my buddys brother on the other hand thinks he is a great reloader. Well me and my buddy go to the range to shoot his brand new 270WSM with handloads from his brother, after taking 10minutes to get the crosshairs to quit moving ON SANDBAGS my buddy finally pulls the trigger with a boom louder than my 30-338 with a muzzle break. My buddy looks at me and says this things sweet well he goes to open the bolt, after 3 whacks with a rubber mallet I finally get the bolt open, the case was split all the way down the neck, the shoulder, and started down the case wall. I asked him how much powder his brother put in them, I DONT KNOW. Then ******* looks at me and says think I should shoot it again, I told him only on his own property. So he takes the loads back to his brother to pull the bullets turns out 6.2 grains over what it should be. I told him he should have bought a lottery ticket that day. After all this I load some bullets for him and I shoot them guess what DAs brother has the gumption to say, I hope you dont blow up the rifle.

I took my daughter out to the range today to run a Tubb's FF kit through her 7mm-08, (it looked like it was rifled with a jackhammer, there's still some marks but it's a helluva lot better). We pull up and there's a group 1/2 dozen boys there having a good ol time with their 22's. Oh hey she says their all friends of mine! I guess they felt kinda bad cause she didn't get through 10rnds and blew all the jugs to hell, they all left without sayin a word lol:D

One day several years ago, I was looking down the firing line at my club range. I saw at the end of the line at the covered pistol section a bullet hole in the wall. It had been fired down the firing line from some undetermined point on the firing line. The firing line is set up with 2 one hundred yard lines and one fifty yard line with about 25 firing stations per line and a gap of 30 yards before the pistol section. Fortunately no one was hurt, probably only because no one was there when it happened...
This is the only game in town so if I want to shoot this is where I have to go to do it. (sigh)

I have had a few.

1. Black bear ran out in front of me at 20 yards when I was pulling down my target.
2. Watched a guy with and old .303 not hit paper his entire shoot and proclaim the gun must be on as he hit a doe in the head the season before....
3. Last but not least, more of a pet peeve....idiots bringing old computers, tv's household junk to shoot and leave behind!!

in no particular order:

was having a fine old time trying some new loads in my .30-06 and a jeep rolls up with a bunch of college aged boys. They all get out with Mosins and when I call cold range they proceed to go put 5 or 6 FULL 20gal propane tanks at 20 freakin yards. I packed up as quick as I could, heard the first boom as I was pulling out. I can only hope at least one lost reproductive capability.

was shooting my 7MMmag at the range, cold range called, I go to put a target farther out, as I am staning on the berm I hear a few rounds ring out, I hit the dirt (and was ****ED, I was wearing a somewhat pricey Dan Wesson 1911), I get up covered in dirt and march back to the line and this old dude is two knuckles deep in the a-hole's chest telling him to pack up, get lost and never come back (it's a public range LOL) and immediately comes over and says "sit down, shut up and calm yourself, don't even think about talking to that guy"

I rolled up once to unload the truck and this genius is whacking the bolt of his rifle with a piece of 2X4 and looks up and says "think I mighta got a hot one". I left.

The BLM range can be skeery.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.