Weird Fouling in New to Me Rifle

ssmith6

See attached pictures. This is in the first 1-3 inches of the rifling. It appears to be raised and jumps from a grove over a land and into another groove. Never seen anything like this. Rifle has been thoroughly cleaned with Boretech eliminator, then came in and saw this, cleaned with JBs, then eliminator, and these are pictures after the second round of cleaning. What say the masters in the group? I just dont like how that raised edge is on the lands crossing over. Can't be good for a bullet jacket.

Attachments

• WIN_20220128_13_01_40_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20220128_13_01_40_Pro.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 66
  • WIN_20220128_13_01_43_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20220128_13_01_43_Pro.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 71
  • WIN_20220128_13_01_46_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20220128_13_01_46_Pro.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 65
  • WIN_20220128_13_01_48_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20220128_13_01_48_Pro.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 67
  • WIN_20220128_13_01_51_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20220128_13_01_51_Pro.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 77
  • WIN_20220128_13_01_54_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20220128_13_01_54_Pro.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 58
Exactly what I would do.

I think borescopes cause far more anguish that they cure.
I agree completely. I've just never seen this weird pattern as in this one. I attempted to shoot a seating depth test in it but pressure was there so stopped and came home to give it a good cleaning and go down in charge weight. Was checking for a carbon ring when I saw this.

See attached pictures. This is in the first 1-3 inches of the rifling. It appears to be raised and jumps from a grove over a land and into another groove. Never seen anything like this. Rifle has been thoroughly cleaned with Boretech eliminator, then came in and saw this, cleaned with JBs, then eliminator, and these are pictures after the second round of cleaning. What say the masters in the group? I just dont like how that raised edge is on the lands crossing over. Can't be good for a bullet jacket.
Weird looking possible troll marks. What part of the bore. how far from the chamber? How do it shoot?

Weird looking possible troll marks. What part of the bore. how far from the chamber? How do it shoot?
TBD. I attempted to shoot a seating depth test in it but pressure was there so stopped and came home to give it a good cleaning and go down in charge weight. Was checking for a carbon ring when I saw this.

TBD. I attempted to shoot a seating depth test in it but pressure was there so stopped and came home to give it a good cleaning and go down in charge weight. Was checking for a carbon ring when I saw this.
Wow I see that you said 1-3". A lot of questions:
You the first owner
Where was it made, Custom Factory?
How long ago, how many shots
I could be wrong but looks to me like "Tool Marking" like something say a bullet was stuck and it was removed with something that marked the lands? Or during the rifling process something happened to the tool.
If it a new barrel I would contact the maker, manufacture and show the pictures.

Wow I see that you said 1-3". A lot of questions:
You the first owner
Where was it made, Custom Factory?
How long ago, how many shots
I could be wrong but looks to me like "Tool Marking" like something say a bullet was stuck and it was removed with something that marked the lands? Or during the rifling process something happened to the tool.
If it a new barrel I would contact the maker, manufacture and show the pictures.

I have no problem with this rifle yet and doubt i would have ever known had i not looked with a camera so I plan on letting the groups do the talking before I make a mountain out of a molehill out of this.

Second owner. First owner claims 70 rounds of factory 180 accubonds fired through it with 1/2 moa consistency.
Rifle is a Fierce 300 RUM.

We will see how she shoots before I get my undies in a wad haha.

Here are two pictures from before the second round of cleaning where it looks more like carbon fouling to me....just really weird pattern on it.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 65
  • Rifle2.JPG
    Rifle2.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 50
I have no problem with this rifle yet and doubt i would have ever known had i not looked with a camera so I plan on letting the groups do the talking before I make a mountain out of a molehill out of this.

Second owner. First owner claims 70 rounds of factory 180 accubonds fired through it with 1/2 moa consistency.
Rifle is a Fierce 300 RUM.

We will see how she shoots before I get my undies in a wad haha.
Could be a real shooter. The marks on the bore are at the beginning so you have the rest of the barrel to "Smooth" out.
Good luck and let us know how you do.