Weird 308 brass

I believe the Benelli R1's have fluted chambers as well. Whatever rifle, it definitely had a fluted chamber.

So I found this piece of 308 brass out in the middle of the woods the other day while out scouting. It looks like rifling marks all the way down the length of the brass, and the "rifling marks" are raised, I can feel them going almost to the bottom of the brass. What would cause this to happen?View attachment 208131View attachment 208133View attachment 208135
I would suggest that it is result of chatter when chambering. I have had the experience one time. Don't know why it occurred but it makes a very high pitch squeal. When cartridge is fired in chamber those "lines" are pressed out in the chamber. Cartridge will not re chamber without FL sizing. Lines were hard to see on mine, those are bad on that 308. That could possibly be what occurred.

So I found this piece of 308 brass out in the middle of the woods the other day while out scouting. It looks like rifling marks all the way down the length of the brass, and the "rifling marks" are raised, I can feel them going almost to the bottom of the brass. What would cause this to happen?
How far out in the middle of the woods were you ?
And what was an expensively , rare HK doing there ?
View attachment 208131View attachment 208133View attachment 208135
Fired from an HK91 or clone. Their roller delayed blowback system with fluted chamber leaves those distinct fluted brass marks. Does not affect reloading ability.

I would suggest that it is result of chatter when chambering. I have had the experience one time. Don't know why it occurred but it makes a very high pitch squeal. When cartridge is fired in chamber those "lines" are pressed out in the chamber. Cartridge will not re chamber without FL sizing. Lines were hard to see on mine, those are bad on that 308. That could possibly be what occurred.

This is NOT the result of chatter when chambering. Look at those straight evenly spaced lines!

1597346283478.png

Don't try to reload those, unless you plan on throwing your sizing die away. The ones out of my H&K 91 wouldn't go one third the way into a sizing die. They are best hammered flat (so no one else tries to resize them), and pitch 'em.

Don't try to reload those, unless you plan on throwing your sizing die away. The ones out of my H&K 91 wouldn't go one third the way into a sizing die. They are best hammered flat (so no one else tries to resize them), and pitch 'em.
I have reloaded literally over 1000 rounds for mine. Even with the dents—no problems whatsoever. They are certainly not all lost causes. I suppose YMMV.

I have reloaded literally over 1000 rounds for mine. Even with the dents—no problems whatsoever. They are certainly not all lost causes. I suppose YMMV.

I was able to resize a case or two. What I had to do was tumble the brass to get the carbon and powder fouling off of it, then lubed it up real well. I then had to unscrew my sizing die about all the way, and raise the shell case in the shell holder (ram) up to the top of the stroke. I lowered the ram about a half inch and screwed the die in a turn, then raised the ram. I kept repeating the process of lowering the ram, screwing in the die a turn or two, then raising the ram. It took several minutes to resize one case. Maybe it was my dies, or maybe my rifle was really hard on the case, but I usually didn't pick the cases up after firing. It was just too much trouble. My rifle kicked them about 30 feet, and the kink in the side of the case proved to be the reason for all the trouble getting it into the sizing die.
If I still had any, I would send them to you for free, just so someone could get some use from them.

I was able to resize a case or two. What I had to do was tumble the brass to get the carbon and powder fouling off of it, then lubed it up real well. I then had to unscrew my sizing die about all the way, and raise the shell case in the shell holder (ram) up to the top of the stroke. I lowered the ram about a half inch and screwed the die in a turn, then raised the ram. I kept repeating the process of lowering the ram, screwing in the die a turn or two, then raising the ram. It took several minutes to resize one case. Maybe it was my dies, or maybe my rifle was really hard on the case, but I usually didn't pick the cases up after firing. It was just too much trouble. My rifle kicked them about 30 feet, and the kink in the side of the case proved to be the reason for all the trouble getting it into the sizing die.
If I still had any, I would send them to you for free, just so someone could get some use from them.
Maybe my cheap .308 Lee full length sizer die is just loose enough to accommodate these suckers. After tumbling clean and light lube they would size out just like any other brass.

In my determination to use the rifle for max versatility, I have stalked elk at 10-11k feet through timber with that pig of a rifle, as well as loaded 110 grain V-max for prairie dogs. Crazy I know.

This is NOT the result of chatter when chambering. Look at those straight evenly spaced lines!

View attachment 208332
when chatter occurs during reaming, the result is the presence of lines are straight and are equally spaced. It is a harmonic resonance that occurs with the gearing of the lathe. And yes that is what the result of chatter does. I questioned several top gunsmiths and reamer manufacturers, on how to prevent and the answer was if you have chatter in reaming there will be a high pitch squeal and perfectly spaced lines or ridges running equal distance the length of the case. External chatter as on turning and reducing diameter of long item that is not supported will produce a different chatter not lines but rough surface finish that oddly those rough marks are symmetrical . If a case has been fired in a chamber that has chattered when chambered that case will not usually not re chamber unless full resized.

I was about 3 miles out into some pretty steep and rough stuff. I would say that it's a spot not many people would want to go to. I only found one case, I checked the area for more but didn't find any. I will not be reloading this case, i'm gonna hang onto it because to me it's kind of neat.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.