Weighted Pack

I use an old Mountainsmith pack and toss in 25 lbs of Weights and topped off with a few bottles of water. I use a steep set of stairs (190 steps) and do 8-10 reps of that a few times a week plus a cardio regiment of just straight running to top it off. It does the trick for me.

Well I'm 66 so no running, climbing stairs or weight lifting. Finishing up hand painting my house and garage using scaffolds and ladders. Beautiful garden all hand tilled. Mow large lawn walk behind mower weekly, feed and water stock by hand. Wear pack with gear that I will be using on my hunt. Taking small hikes with pack level to moderate terrain. Losing weight hope to come in at 210 by hunting time, 9/28. Feeling good just have to remember my limits.

muleskinner you young whippersnapper, I have 10 years on you.
Unless you have bad knees you should try a weighted pack at least 4 days a week for at least one hour per day. Lordy, I'll take age 66 any day.

**What is not being said here is that you absolutely must have a pack with a frame and a padded hip belt so 80% +- can be transferred to to your hip girdle and legs and not on your spine.

Begin with 25 pounds and add a few pounds each week until you get to 30 -35 pounds.
I find this also gets me ready for ski season, especially the cardio when I'm above 8,000 feet.

Use hiking poles to help you climb, save your knees on downhills and get an upper body workout too. As well, you can add two half dollar sized moulded nylon discs called "Quick StiX" just under the handles so you can almost instantly mate them and twist them into X'd shooting sticks. For around $45. this is the least expensive and lightest way to get solid shooting sticks for those longer range shots. (This old dog is always learning new tricks.;o)

Eric B.

muleskinner you young whippersnapper, I have 10 years on you.
Unless you have bad knees you should try a weighted pack at least 4 days a week for at least one hour per day. Lordy, I'll take age 66 any day.

**What is not being said here is that you absolutely must have a pack with a frame and a padded hip belt so 80% +- can be transferred to to your hip girdle and legs and not on your spine.

Begin with 25 pounds and add a few pounds each week until you get to 30 -35 pounds.
I find this also gets me ready for ski season, especially the cardio when I'm above 8,000 feet.

Use hiking poles to help you climb, save your knees on downhills and get an upper body workout too. As well, you can add two half dollar sized moulded nylon discs called "Quick StiX" just under the handles so you can almost instantly mate them and twist them into X'd shooting sticks. For around $45. this is the least expensive and lightest way to get solid shooting sticks for those longer range shots. (This old dog is always learning new tricks.;o)

Eric B.
You are a lucky man at your age to do what you do. Bad knees and degenerated disc (4) lower back among others is my problem. On the other hand I have become quite knowledgeable on how to do physical work using my head. A guy needs to stop and think things out. This old dog is finding new tricks some work some don't. Hey you have yourself a nice holiday.

I wouldnt go with something small and dense, but pack out a decent volume in the pack to meet weight. then strap it all in place to prevent shifting.

I take my pack to the gym and get on the stair climber machine. Start with nothing and add weight as you go. Be prepared to not walk well the next day. Scenery in that part of the gym is usually pretty good...

I usually carry 80lbs for 3-5 miles a few times a week months before a hunt. My pack has a pocket on the inside that is against your back between the shoulders that I put dumbbells in but I've been looking at this to save on the wear and tear to my hunting pack, it holds up to 90 lbs of barbells. Not the cheapest option though.

CA48
80 pounds for training is about 30 pounds too heavy. You will soon damage your knees and possibly your spinal column unless it is a frame pack and you are using a very good padded hip belt with 80% of the weight on that belt.

Your muscles will take 80 lbs. but your joints will not.

Eric B.

Are you going to use a trailer?

Corey

No trailer yet, but my good friend is talking me into 1.

I've had so/so luck with the mountain-bike,,, but it is a bit easier using my boots only,,, +'s and --'s to both of these ideas...

Lately I've been doing the light weight hip/ should pack,,, now I'm building a lighter rifle in standard cartridge...

I'm always trying to find a way to knock off a few pounds here and there,,, ha...

Lots of planning again for this years hunt...

I ruck 2 days a week. I have a distance day and a load day
Distance day - Weight is fixed at 80# + water. I'm up to 8mi and over 1,700' of vert

Load day - Distance and vert are fixed at 3.25mi and 700' of vert. Weight increases weekly. I'm up 115# + water

I use a Load Trainer from Rogue Equipment with barbell plates
that's pretty hardcore!

I really like water, you can climb up a trail and dump it at the top to save a lot of unnecessary wear and tear on the knees. I used to do milk jugs and just throw them out after a month or so of use before they start leaking.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.