Weighted Pack

Ya I'm no expert but I know how my muscles feel after workouts then after an extended trip in mountains before alot if training for it. Different muscles are sore
DOMS isn't an indication of anything. The mechanism behind DOMS isn't known.

Regardless that doesn't change the inaccuracy of your post
"muscles used often in carrying a heavy pack over terrain and inclines aren't hit directly when training with weights"

Diet is one of the most important factors that people training neglect. I Hope I'm still in as good a shape as you at 60.
Good luck on the hunt!
Appreciate that and sounds like your headed that way. It's work but if it's in your life everyday, it'll stay there.

DOMS isn't an indication of anything. The mechanism behind DOMS isn't known.

Regardless that doesn't change the inaccuracy of your post
"muscles used often in carrying a heavy pack over terrain and inclines aren't hit directly when training with weights"
You must not have read my post. "I'm no expert". Obviously you must be. WTH is DOMS. Look, training isn't rocket science. I can only tell you what happens when I go thru various routines. Different muscles are sore... Period. They all may be getting some work BUT other smaller less used muscles are getting hit more directly on non-traditional training than with weight training. I've been doing this stuff for 40+ years so pretty sure I can identify how my body feels from different exercises. This isn't a debate. It's just a little experience exchange between other members. Hope mine helps. Yours isn't helping.

You must not have read my post. "I'm no expert". Obviously you must be. WTH is DOMS. Look, training isn't rocket science.
DOMS = Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness. The post exercise soreness you are referring to.

No "training isn't rocket science" it's sports science. Like any other science there are principles that need to be adhered to in order to achieve the desired outcome.

Intuition and anecdote are very poor, even injurious, paths to follow when it comes to training. Hunting, at least western big game hunting is, for this purpose, a Strength-Endurance sport.

There is a very clear distinction between "training" and "working out".
Training is about specific, carefully calculated effort that leads to results in the future. Training is complex.

Working out is random effort for the moment that doesn't lead to results in the future. Working out is simple.
Intuition and anecdote are fine for "working out".

A lot of misinformation surrounds the topic of "training for the mountains" which of course includes hunting. The vast majority of this is spread through threads like this where people make subjective, blanket, anecdotal claims that are taken as truth. They're not truths.

As far as an "expert" I don't know that I'm an "expert". I am a professional Strength and Conditioning Coach. I work with some of the best professional ultra-endurance and mountain sports athletes in the world. Many of whom I have had to help overcome injury sustained by following intuition and anecdote. Some their own. Others from "coaches" who were following their intuition and anecdote.
What I am is a diligent and successful student of my craft.

DOMS = Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness. The post exercise soreness you are referring to.

No "training isn't rocket science" it's sports science. Like any other science there are principles that need to be adhered to in order to achieve the desired outcome.

Intuition and anecdote are very poor, even injurious, paths to follow when it comes to training. Hunting, at least western big game hunting is, for this purpose, a Strength-Endurance sport.

Training is about specific, carefully calculated effort that leads to results in the future. Training is complex.

Working out is random effort for the moment that doesn't lead to results in the future. Working out is simple.

A lot of misinformation surrounds the topic of "training for the mountains" which of course includes hunting. The vast majority of this is spread through threads like this where people make subjective, blanket, anecdotal claims that are taken as truth. They're not truths.

As far as an "expert" I don't know that I'm an "expert". I am a professional Strength and Conditioning Coach. I work with some of the best professional ultra-endurance and mountain sports athletes in the world. Many of whom I have had to help overcome injury sustained by following intuition and anecdote. Some their own. Others from "coaches" who were following their intuition and anecdote.
Well that sounds like pretty extreme endurance with world class athletes. Something I'm not. What I am is a hunter and someone that likes to maintain good health and fitness with minimum injury. What I do seems to work for me. I can do anything I could do at 25 even today with a little longer recovery time. My strength is better than ever but my endurance and wind is not. I don't suspect anything will change that problem as is why athletes typically do not compete after a certain age. Climbing from 7500' to 10,500' has been fairly routine for me on hunts. Again, whatever I'm doing seems to be helping on those hunts. Also hauling 100lb+ packs off the mountain full of meat hasn't been too demanding either. I'm sure that'll change in the next few years to come. As far as definition of muscles worked, soreness of new muscles or the working muscles involved in all done in this activity, you obviously know your Chit so I won't debate or doubt your knowledge. Just knowing my body seems to make me believe what I've stated. I'm certainly no expert or professional in this field.

Thank you for the information you have provided here. I the older I get the more conscious I am of preserving my joints. As a high country backpack deer and elk at age 53, I workout, train and eat right year around. I try to keep my hunting pack under 40lbs. But for packing meat, usually downhill, I may go up to 80 or 100lbs to save trips. Do these infrequent exposures do much damage to joint health?

I bought a 7 gallon plastic Jerry can on ebay new for about$20. Fits great on eberlestock main frame with the steel shelf. Water is about 8.6lbs per gallon. Easy to add or subtract water. The water sloshes around quite a bit which test your balance on uneven ground. I like this as it's good prep for rough ground. If you don't like it you could use sand. Plus you can water you favorite fruit trees or berry patch and lighten the load on the way down. I do one long distance on level ground one day to work on endurance and do shorter steep ground the next day for cardio. It's easy to keep my target heart rate up on steep ground without the impact of running. Also builds leg and core strength.

It is good you are mixing up your routine. It is very easy to create osteoarthritis with repetitive motion, as I did in my 30s.

Thank you for the information you have provided here. I the older I get the more conscious I am of preserving my joints. As a high country backpack deer and elk at age 53, I workout, train and eat right year around. I try to keep my hunting pack under 40lbs. But for packing meat, usually downhill, I may go up to 80 or 100lbs to save trips. Do these infrequent exposures do much damage to joint health?
Let me answer your question this way
We're the same age.
After I walk on blacktop or concrete for long periods of time my right kne becomes inflamed and stiffens up.
The only time I do that is when I walk my dog on the road near my house.
It would be easy for someone who doesn't know me to say that walking my dog is wrecking my knee.
I've spent 50 of my 54yrs getting, punched, kicked, kneed, slammed, knee locked, arm barred, etc....
I have also had my fair share of hard landings and crashes on bikes, motorcycles, snowboards and skateboards.

Life is a cumulative effect.

If you're a healthy, lean, physically strong, regularly active person who doesn't have a genetic predisposition for arthritis then it's not likely to be a problem.
If you maintain a high level of capillary density (endurance), train intelligently specifically for rucking and manage fatigue in your strength training then hauling meat will be even less of a stressor on your body.

If you're over fat, regularly sedentary, not very strong and eat a poor diet it is more likely that hauling heavy weight out of the mountains is going to take its toll on your body

The hunt prep never ends. My trusty J107 with a barbell plate and water aboard for a nice little walk in the woods today...

Attachments

• IMG_20210314_161249_821.jpg
    IMG_20210314_161249_821.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_20210314_161250_018.jpg
    IMG_20210314_161250_018.jpg
    376.9 KB · Views: 123
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.