weight of your pack rifle?

I once tried to build my own 6.5 PRC light weight rifle.
My custom rife wish list:

1. 3 lug bolt
2. Timney ot Trigger Tech trigger
3. carbon fiber stock
4. locking bolt when on safe
5. stainless action, bolt and barrel
5. fluted bolt and barrel
6. Cerakoted
7. factory lapped barrel

But Mon Deu! The cost!

So then i looked at the SAKO Carbonlite and the Browning X-Bolt Pro. I found the X-Bolt Pro had ALL the items on my wish list except the trigger. But their Feather trigger on my rifle is now averaging 2 lbs. 9 oz. on my digital pull scale.

The SAKO was not showing me a good trigger and missing a few other things PLUS it was about $900. more money for not as many features. And I feel the elves in Finland don't build rifles any better than the Japanese Miroku workers.
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Eric B.

As the owner of both brownings and sakos, they are not in the same league in terms of fit and finish and attention to detail. You don't see complaints about sakos not shooting MOA or better. Give the search function a go and you'll see brownings reputation as of late is questionable

My backcountry rifle is a Cooper Backcountry 92 in 7RM. Scoped with a Vortex LHT 3-15x42, Talley Picatinny rail and backcountry 30mm Rings and a Titanium 7" suppressor, and 3 rounds in the magazine.. All said an done at a 7.75lbs. Easily shooting 1/2moa with 145 and 168LRX.

Brian

* 300 Win Mag (sling, EGW 20 MOA rail, brake) - 8.94 pounds
Scope - 1.88 pounds
Rings - 3.4 ounces

Total - 11.03 pounds

* I don't think the magazine was in when weighed which doesn't really matter, except for the magazine weight itself, since my seating depth results in cartridges that are too long for the magazine.

Last edited:
If I am headed more than 10 miles into the backcountry I carry a NULA 284 that weighs 5.7 lbs all in. To be fair I haven't shot anything with it at more than 320yds and I would not shoot it more than 500. I had been carrying it for everything, but recently I started using a Sako AV Fiberclass 270 for shorter outings. While heavier, I am much less concerned with it while hunting.

If I am headed more than 10 miles into the backcountry I carry a NULA 284 that weighs 5.7 lbs all in. To be fair I haven't shot anything with it at more than 320yds and I would not shoot it more than 500. I had been carrying it for everything, but recently I started using a Sako AV Fiberclass 270 for shorter outings. While heavier, I am much less concerned with it while hunting.

You have a couple of really sweet rifles! I'm jealous

Made the decision to re-barrel my .300 PRC. Going to turn down a 1:10 twist and carbon wrap it. Taking a heavy Palma 1:8 off. I chose wrong on the profile for this build! 14.5 lbs. is just too much fun to carry all day. May lighten the stock or change stock altogether.

Wow. Quite a nice bunch of rifles on tbis thread from lightweights to heavies!!! I built myself a 10 pound 6 ounce 7mm wildcat based on a RSAUM case. I am shooting 168 grain Moly Berger vlds at 3000 fps. Gunwerks short magnum action with Wyatt's extended box. Bartlein #4 finished at 27# and 4 port brake. HS stock is getting repainted right now so will update pics when it gets back.

Attachments

• 20200624_214000.jpg
    20200624_214000.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 223
  • 626644476.jpg
    626644476.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 219
My elk rifle is 10lbs on the dot 7mm rem mag. My deer rifle is a 6mm creedmoor at 8.5lbs. I definitely prefer packing around the 8.5, but when the 7 is on my back attached to my pack, I can't really tell the difference.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.