weight of your pack rifle?

Longshotjames

What weight do you look for when you choose a rifle for backpack hunting.

Lets look at scoped, stocked and unloaded(no ammo) for comparison sake.

I know everyone has opinions on accessories like bi-pod and slings but those can easily be attached so lets look at just the rifle weight.

Whats your ideal weight for carry?
James

I have had a bunch of ultralight and lightweight rifles built and I find a scoped rifle of
6 to 6.5 lbs with a 22" barrel seems to be the most practical from a backpackers perspective.
What I want is an all Stainless rifle as Sheep hunting in Northern BC can be a very wet miserable outing.
I have had built and donate an UltraLight Rifle each year to the Wild Sheep Society of BC and usually use a Kimber Montana 84M or 84L donor rifle and add a #1 Benchmark Contour barrel, this years(2019) rifle will be a 6.5-284 built on a Kimber Montana 84L.

I use a Leupold VX3i 4.5-14x40 CDS 30mm and Talley lightweights for my examples as this adds 1lb to your build and is a great compromise in a Lightweight/Longrange scope.

this is how I breakdown my goal weights when building UL rifles

Ultra Lightweight 5-6lbs scoped
Lightweight. 6-7.5lbs scoped
Standard. 7.5-9.5 scoped

here's a Cpl pictures of my own hunting rifle, Kimber Montana 84M 6.5-284 5Lbs with no scope and 6.5lbs with the Zeiss on it, this is my everyday sheep and deer hunting rifle

here's the 6.5 Creedmoor we donated last year at 6 Lbs scoped

Last edited:
Both my Nephews have 280AI built on Remington 700 actions with 26" #1 contour Benchmarks, one has a bit more metal work and a Wildcat stock and is 6lbs the other has a McMillan Hunter Edge stock and it weighs 6lbs 6.5oz, bare rifle weight.

Myself I don't like backpacking with a 26" barrel but its all personal preference.

Never weighed it. Just use my normal hunting rifles. Figure I'm better off losing 10 pounds before the hunt, than trying to whittle away a couple of pounds from a rifle.

In the photo, I'm carrying my 25-06 700 CDL with a 6x Leupold. That and the near twin 30-06 version are the rifles I hunt with mostly. Good general-purpose rifles. Not ultra-lights, not porky either.
X1CoxPcl.jpg

Regards, Guy

I like to keep it 7lbs or less. Most of my long range guns are 11+ and I still carry them plenty of miles each season. Grabbing one that is sub 7lbs makes it seems even that much lighter. My preferred is a Montana in 280ai w/ a NF 2.5-10 that weighs in at 6.8 lbs.

14 lbs. I am far more accurate with my heavy guns than my light ones. No where is accuracy more important to me than when hunting. I confidently make shots with my heavier guns that I would not take with a sub 8 lb gun. Some of these internet heroes make it sound like shooting 6 lb guns 1 moa to 1000 yards is easy. I have not met anyone yet who has been able to show me that ability. I'm sure they exist but they are not common.

Carried a BAR @ 9lb 6 ounces for years. New build is 10lb 4 ounces. Had a Ruger that was about 7 for a year and didn't really see what all the fuss was about. It's yet to be a real burden for me, I'd rather cut weight in other places.
Might change once I get old!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.