Weight of LR gun- to manintain Accuracy

rvander1

Hi,
I have a custom benchrest 1000yd gun: McMillan MBR Stock, Nesika Action, Krieger Barrel, Nightforce scope. Caliber: 6.5-284.
I've competed a little bit at Williamsport, but that's a 3+ hour drive (each way) from where I live, so I'm converting this benchrest gun to a long range hunter and maybe a light F-Class.
I'm getting a McMillan A5 tactical stock, and a new krieger barrel.

Question: the gun currently weighs 17 pounds (in benchrest config).
Does anyone know how much weight I can take off the barrel (so I can carry the gun in the field easier) and not sacrifice long range accuracy?

Thanks in advance,
Bob

I have a Bench Rest gun that is 17 pounds in 6.5X47 Lapua. Not as accurate as I would like but it's a .5 MOA gun to 800 yards (as far as my range goes) when I do my part. I wanted to hunt with the same round so I had an encore barrel made with the same reamer. The encore weighs 8 pounds and it's a .5 MOA gun to 800 yards when I do my part. The light encore barrel over heats and walks the POI long before the bench gun gets warm to the touch. But I got it to hunt with.

They have weight classes for a reason, but you either have a shooter or you don't....

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.