weighing powder

I am going to take some of my new (unmatching lot#) 1lb containers of Varget and consolidate them into a #8 keg this weekend. Think I will weigh the powder now since I am curious on what an empty #8 keg and 1lb container weighs...

The only time I have weighed a canister of powder was to see If I could complete a load batch rather than run out during loading.

If you have an empty container of the same brand you can weigh it and subtract the weight from the one you want to weigh. It should weigh 7,000 grains + the container. I don't think the powder manufactures cheat us, but with todays environment who knows.

J E CUSTOM

All pounds have exactly 7,000 grains in them. If you mean weighing the powder in a 1lbs container, no. Companies dealing with energetic materials have extreme record keeping requirements. The amount that leaves the building needs to be carefully known. Shrinkage between production and packaging/shipping would be a fantastic way for them to find their licensing pulled. My company deals with a few companies that make bang bang stuff and OMG are they friggin pests when it comes to record keeping.

I did measure a couple of brand new 1lb containers and believe they were spot on as far as powder weight. I did measure a few of empty Hodgdon 1lb. containers so I had a somewhat reference of how much was left in an opened container in the future.
940.6 grains
AVERAGE OF 940.5 GRAINS (EMPTY 1LB HODGDON CONTAINER WITH PLASTIC LID)

Empty 8lb Hodgdon container was 61 grams, which is about 2685 grains. I had to use a different scale for this, could measure that high in grains.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.