Weighing different powder

newmexkid

gun)So, I decided to load up some rounds using H-414 and IMR 4350. I was throwing 56.0 grains of each one. So, I start with IMR and set up the Redding powder measure to throw just a little under. First I balanced out the Dillon beam scale twice. Loaded up 10 rounds. Moved those rounds to the side and emptied out the IMR. Loaded up the H-414 and threw the first load. The reading was WAY over 56 grains. So, I guess powders don't measure out/weigh the same even though you are using the same amount of grains???

One is a ball, the other is a stick. They can not occupy the same space. The ball powder will be more closely packed into the measure tube.

The simple answer is that different brands of powder have different densities, also the type of powder will cause it to take up more or less space due to this density difference.
ALWAYS check what your thrower is throwing when changing powders, even if the same amount of grains is being used.

Cheers.
gun)

Different powders have different densities. H414 is a ball powder, and a given weight of it will occupy less space than and extruded (stick type) powder will. Had you loaded the ball powder first, the stick powder charge would be really light. Powder measures "measure" by volume, not weight.

set your volume charge by weight for each powder identification...

even two canisters of the same powder can have a bit different density.... weigh the stuff.... if bulk density changes your burn rate could change a bit too so it is wise to back off a bit and re-work if you notice that

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.