Weaver Tactical Grand Slam ?

sdbrun1

I mounted this on a 257 WM with Lupey low rings and the same make bases. My problem is that I have 6 mils of up and almost 10 mils of down. Im having trouble wraping my head around this? Why it is not the other way around. There is 16.5 mils of internal adjustment. This will still take me out to 700 yards with the load that Im shooting. I hunt whitetail in northwest WI with this rig. Im roughly 1.5 above center line of bore. I have a 100 yard zero. You can view the scope on MidwayUSA. Here is a link if it works.

Thanks in advance.

Scott.

Weaver Tactical Grand Slam Rifle Scope 3-10x 40mm 1/10 Mil Adjustments Mil-Dot Reticle Matte - MidwayUSA

If you are saying that are are zeroed and only have 6 MILs of up left then what that means is that you had to use a lot of your adjustment in order to get your gun zeroed and you don't have much left for dialing in distance.

A couple options if 6 MILs aren't enough. Get a angled base and then remount.

Buy Burris signature rings and use their offset rings to angle your scope more like you want. Remount and be happy!

your scope turrets are not currently centered therefore there is more down than up.

Is the scope on your gun? Are you sighted in at a particular distance?

That is what i thought. You had to use a lot of up adjustment to get zeroed at 100yards. So you don't have much up adjustment left for dialing in for long range shots. You need a angled base or the Burris rings I spoke of.

I did my ballistics program again. I made a mistake somewhere. With 6 mils of come up that takes me out to 900 yards with the load Im shooting. Its all computing much better now. I only shoot that far at steel or paper just for a good past time. I did shoot a nice 3 shot .4 center to center @ 100 yards today though. I really like the scope so far.

Thanks for the input.

Scott

I did my ballistics program again. I made a mistake somewhere. With 6 mils of come up that takes me out to 900 yards with the load Im shooting. Its all computing much better now. I only shoot that far at steel or paper just for a good past time. I did shoot a nice 3 shot .4 center to center @ 100 yards today though. I really like the scope so far.

Thanks for the input.

Scott

Sounds like it may work without adjustment.

You will want to check you click adjustments to make sure you are getting full adjustment on each click. Sometimes when you are dialing toward the very end of adjustment the turrets will track differently or even stop moving the reticle even though the turret still turns. I would still encourage you to get the scope closer to centered at the distance you will most be shooting at. You will get better performance overall if you do this.

Good Luck and nice shooting!

I have the Weaver tactical on my 257 weatherby and love it! Little heavy for hunting but a very nice scope for the money and the turrets seam to track very well when I adjust for shots.

Agreed. I don't have the tactical but have had great success with durability and tracking from their Classic V16 and Grand Slams. I really like Weaver for a mid to lower level scope.

You should still get either the Burris rings or an angled base. The reason would be to be get the reticle below the center of travel at your zero. This way when you adjust for your come-ups your glass will be more or less square reducing the light's path through the scope. This can mean better accuracy as well as more consistent tracking of the turrets.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.