Weaver tac 3-15 or SWFA 3-15 for extreme range?

ajhardle

Looking for my next scope, and I think swing the almost $800 for one of these. I've currently been using a Millett 4-16 and a Vortex Viper 6-24, but even with a 20 moa base I'm mixing clicks and mil-dots. Not something I enjoy with SFP.

1. Are there any other brands I overlooked? ( ffp and adjustment range over, let's say 90)

2. How is the customer service with these brands?

3. With a target rifle, maybe I would be better served by a higher end fixed magnification?

I have the Weaver and as long as you get the EMDR? reticle it is a good buy. It is heavy and built like a tank with very good clarity. I would buy another as long as not looking for a lightweight setup. Very beefy.

I don't have the new 3-15 SWFA, but I do have two of there 5-20s and love them. I really like the reticle as well. HD Glass is very good. I think the 3-15 is more along the lines of the SS fixed power series. Does it have the HD glass like the 5-20 and 3-9?

Can't comment on customer service as I've not had a problem with any of my Weaver or SWFA optics. A Google search may turn up more info on CS experiences.

I bought a Zeiss with the 3-15 and Z800 reticle but I have not had a chance to mount it yet. It's been busy at work so it may be a couple of weeks yet. This is going to be strictly a hunting rig scope on a 700 in 7Mag.

I'm looking at the Emdr model (part number 800363), because it is advertised
having 100 moa adjustment range. The SWFA lists 120 moa. I have another scope that is advertised also as having 120 moa, but in testing, it had far less. The graduations get smaller until the last 50 or so have no affect on POA.

So......have you tested for function?

The SWFA 3-15 does not have HD glass like the 5-20, probably why it costs half the price.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.