Weaver Super Slam

tayhot

I am looking at putting a 4x15x42 scope on a 300 RUM. This particular scope has Weaver EBX system (bdc) and adjustable turret on top. Is that redundant? I want a longer range scope with the turrets under $650. Wish I had more money, but I don't.

Am I on the right track or should I go to something else?

I am looking at putting a 4x15x42 scope on a 300 RUM. This particular scope has Weaver EBX system (bdc) and adjustable turret on top. Is that redundant? I want a longer range scope with the turrets under $650. Wish I had more money, but I don't.

Am I on the right track or should I go to something else?

I would say go else where. Took the old 3-9 vxII off my son's 6.5-06, replaced with the Weaver, and accuracy went down. Did the same thing with my partners rifle. Took off the Weaver and put on a vxIII and now the rifle shoots lights out.

If it where me I would look at the Nikon Monarch or the Leupold vxIII or vxIV.

For what it's worth, I have one of the Weavers on my daughters rifle and it seem to shoot well. I have never dialed that rifle though.

Good luck,

Steve

I'll add my 2 cents. :)

I personally really like Weaver scopes. Their GS and V16 scopes have been very good IMO. I love their mini target turrets, and they have been rock solid as far as durability and toughness is concerned. I originally got turned onto these for use with precision airguns which belive it or not are much harder on scopes than centerfires. They track wonderfully for me and have good to very good glass, the GS is better than the V series and supposedly the Super Slam is even better. For the money I think they are a good deal. Shop around as some retailers want a golden nugget for one!

Having said that they have gone through some tough times the last couple years. Now that they are back under the ATK umbrella I think they are moving in the right direction again. I have seen their Super Slam line and played with them but don't own one so keep that in mind. What I saw I liked though. They are a bit on the heavy side but I am told that is from the extra toughness they posses. I heard that their turret system on the SS is based off their T series which has a very good reputation in target circles. I have not verified this though.

If they had the EBX in the V16 I would have one on a couple of my varmint guns just to play with. That scope is one of my all time favorites for non-big game hunting. If it didn't have the AO on the bell it would make a good whatever you want kind of scope. I personally don't do AO's on the bell of my big game scopes. I have seen more scope failures of the AO than anything else and don't want to take that risk. They have it in the ballistic X now and I may play with that and see how I like it.

Good luck in your search.

My vote would be for the VX-3 in that price range. I shoot a 4.5x14x40 LR on my 300 WM and really like it. Clear glass and very repeatable at various ranges. Just bought a 3x10x40 for my sons 270 WSM.

I run a 4-16 v16 on my fairly stock 22-250 Ruger M77 mark II. It tracks well at the distances I shoot, and always returns to zero. The light transmission is crap on higher powers and weigh as much as a warm up bat, but that doesn't bother me, most of the time. :rolleyes:

My buddy runs one on his custom 10/22 that he routinely shoots out to 140-170yds with the turrets topped out and a bunch of windage added. It always returns right back to exactly zero.

If the super slams track any where near as well as the v16's, and the glass is better, I wouldn't be the least bit afraid of buying one.

The Bushnell Elites, Nikon Monarchs, Vortex Vipers, and Burris tac 30's are also in your price range.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.