Weaver Scope for Varmints?

bowhunthard88

Hello, I want to get a new scope for my .222 Rem. It has a Tasco target/varmint 6-24x42mm on it now, but I was looking at a Weaver V24. Does anyone have any expirience with the Weavers, I'm looking at a new scope, but not one over $400.

I have the VX-III 6.5-20x50mmLR on my .22-250, but don't really want to lay out the cash again, scope was almost as much as the gun. And the Tasco looks pitiful after looking thru the VX-III. The .222 is probably going to be a target/secondary hunting rifle. The 22-250 is PRIMARY.gun)

I think you will be happy with the Optical quality and Tracking of Weavers . IMO the biggest bargains were the V16 and Buckmaster Side focus 6-18X ,and the GS's . The one word of caution I would give you is to look at the Reticle width on the 6-5-20X Grand Slam F/C Dot : it is too fine for some old eyes . Every once in a while , you will find great Specials on some of these Weavers .

I have a Weaver Classic V24.Wonderfull scope!Mine is on Remmy 22-250.Great for chucks&Pdogs.coyotes.I also have a 2-10 Weaver on a .22mag. I like my Leopolds for heavier recoiling rifles like.270 up. Good Luck! Dskiper

I dont know about the Weaver V scopes but I have been using a Weaver T-10 on my Mod 70 300 WM 1000 yard match rifle for 25 years and its still going strong.

I know nothing about the Weaver, other than that they used to make high quality scopes. This month's (November, 2008) flyer from Midway offers a Simmons Whitetail 6 x 20 in both duplex and mil-dot reticles for $99. Hard to beat that price. A .222 doesn't have recoil enough to cause scope failure, even though the Simmons is of lesser quality than, say, a Leupold. I have used a Simmons 4 x 12 for several years, with no problems, but can't speak for the quality required for shots over 300 yards, my limit due to wind variables and the outside limits inherent for shooting very small ground squirrels. For long shots, I set up the .22-250, but slow down my shots when using this rifle due to the barrel heat gremlin.

BTW, I love my Remington bench rest rifle in .222 and feel it is more than adequate for small varmints such as ground squirrels and PDs. The rifle is very accurate, has low recoil, low report, low barrel heat and is a pleasure to shoot all day. The cases sip powder. A lot of coyotes have been taken with this caliber, although I usually take along a .270 Remington Mountain rifle for coyotes because it is so light and easy to carry. I think that a better coyote choice might be something in the semi-automatic calibers just in case of misses. I have semi-autos, but only in .22 rimfire. They are great for walk-around shooting.

I was very impressed by the quality of the scope. It is extremely clear, although compared to my VX-IIIs there is a slight degredation of image resolution as you reach maximum power, but not enough to factor in :). The turret adjustments also track exactly what they are listed as. I would recommend this scope to anyone who was looking for a quality "lower" priced scope. Very impressed. If I was to buy one again I wouldn't think twice, I'd probably go with the mil-dot reticle instead of the fine crosshairs w/the small dot in the center tho. I got an extremely good deal, $309 couldn't pass it up, but this scope is worth full price! I have it on my .222 Rem and wouldn't trade it for anything (unless I won the lottery or something lol). :D

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.