Weaver custom rifles or Montour custom rifles

sassypants

Good day to all. I am finally in the market of a custom rifle. I have looked at and read allot of reviews on custom gun makers. I have narrowed down to weaver custom rifles and Montour custom rifles to talk to about this build. Both seem to have top notch reviews and high rated customer reviews. In everyone thought and not trying to start anything by any means. Which would be a go to first. I'm wanting a 7mm weatherby built or 7mm wsm. I have already got a 7mm remington I'm just wanting something a little different. My shooting will not be past 800yds. My average being 20yds-500yds but I do hunt some bean fields. My bullet of choice is the 160gr speer btsp, 160gr sierra gameking btsp, or the 150gr gameking sierra btsp. I'm not going to hunting moose or anything just whitetail deer and some feral hogs, also some mule deer and antelope. My barrel I'm wanting to use is a Broughton barrel set at 27". Action I'm wanting to use is a defiance rebel or remington blue printed action with m16 style extractor. I'm wanting to use a mcmillan game scout edge stock. My scope will he a vortex. Any thoughts will be much appreciated.

I have a semi custom Remington 700 that Montour County did, and Kevin does top notch work!! I talked to him back in January, and at that time he really wasn't taking any new orders due trying to get caught up on previous orders, but that was 6 months ago.

Never had anything built by either, and never heard of Weaver rifles before... But I have read tons of happy reviews about Kevin's work at MCR (Montour). Luckily, I have a local gunsmith, but if I was to ship out a rifle to a gunsmith, it would probably be Kirby Allen, JE Custom, or Kevin Cram @ MCR.

My vote would go to Kevin as I've had some specialty work (not rifle build) done by him he he knows his stuff. I great to work with. And does super quality work.

I only say this as I have had personal dealings with him and they were good.

I've had weaver build two of my rifles. They both shoot extremely well and the fit and finish on both is excellent. He's one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet too.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.