Weaver base for Z rings?

arthurj

Hey guys,
I need some input on weaver style bases for a rem 700 sa, burris signature z rings. The only one piece weaver style base I see is the ironsider. Did I read that weaver rings will fit a picatinny base, but picatinny rings will not fit a weaver base? Would the best thing in my situation be too buy a quality picatinny base or should I just go with the ironsider weaver base? What do you recommend?
Thanks

Here is an old quote that would help with the question:

PICATINNY AND WEAVER ARE NOT THE SAME THING!!!

LET ME REPEAT...

PICATINNY AND WEAVER ARE NOT THE SAME THING!!!

Weaver rings will work on PIC bases, but not vice versa.

Picitinny spec = 1/2" spacing and special groove depth and width ~(.19D x .206maxW IIRC)

PIC bases will take any 3/4" dovetail rings out there ( badger, farrell, TPS, burris, near, nightforce etc)

but weaver bases will NOT take a PIC ring.

So tha answer to your question is YES, but i hate seeing WRONG info passed on

JB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

ALSO THIS ONE:

There are a couple of other differences. If you put a Weaver ring on a pic base when tightened down it will not be in the center of the base. The pic base is slightly wider than the weaver counterpart. The Weaver ring will set offset toward the fixed side of the base clamp. This is only a small amount and most people will adjust it out with the scopes windage. It is enough to see and drives me nuts. If you choose to go with a vertical split ring this is not much of an issue, but there are few VS rings tall enough for an AR.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts