Weathrby Actions

cobra

I recently bought a Wby MK 5 stainless in 30-378. After lots of accuracy testing with bullets 168-220 grns it wasn't inmpressing me. My question is of what quality is the action and should I use it for a cutom gun in say 30-338 Lapua or even 30-378. I have done a lot of shooting but never ventured into the custom gun building. Any responses would be appreciated.

You could, but I would not. I don't think there is anything wrong with the action, and your problem with it's accuracy may not be either.

I am building a 30/338 Lapua Imp for my wife and will be building a 338 Lapua Imp this fall for myself. I am using M-700 doner actions that have been trued for the projects and custom barrels with custom stocks pillar bedded. Formuala for success, as I see it.
Simple, straight, and square.

Some like Weatherby actions, I am just not one though.

Cobra,
I have found the greatest accuracy improvement for that rifle was to bed the action in, sides of the lug tight. Huge improvement in mine. Still I am having problems with horizontal groups at extended ranges. I was going to change the stock but changed my mind and I'm going to give it a try with a bipod and anti cant device first. If a noticeable improvement is found, I will be restocking as if I can get the horiz as good as the vert I will be extremely pleased. Future barrels should only make it better.
grin.gif
I'll post the results with the next test.
But I must also admit that my stubborness finally subsided and I am following the flock and going down the custom route path with a 700 action and 300 weatherby or one of its IMP for light gun 1K.
HPA

Cobra,
Results fair to good, didn't use a bipod just the anti-cant level. First really windy day shooting up at the 500. Usually wait until calmer. So.... 200gr Matchkings 2 inches high, 10
shocked.gif
inches wide, closest round 6 inches to the right of aimpoint. 220 grain 4.5 inch group about an inch to the right of aimpoint. 5 shot groups. Not sure if the wind calmed down for the 220's and it is a lesser grouping load, or if it just bucks the wind that much better. More testing. Oh yeah and on the custom, I got the 700 action, but that danged Weatherby is holding it's own so well that I think I am just going to go ahead and give her a new stock and a then a heavy barrel in the near future as it gets quite warm by the 5th round. Are you still working on loads?
HPA

No I really haven't had the time to go out and shoot but I do have a new set of 200 grn. Match Kings to try out with WC872. I hope they do better then the Barnes XFB's. I am in the final few steps of a medical seperation from the Marine Corps and soon I'll have a little more time to work with the gun and I let you know if I find a very accurate load.

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.