Weatherby's New 6.5 RPM

It's not a long action. It's built around the.30-06. Lord willing I will have one of the first shipment. Ordered the dies from Hornady. Got some Hammer bullets on the way.

Try to stick a .300 H&H in one and get back to us.
The .300 H&H is in the same length action as a .30-06 in a Model 70 and Model 721 Remington, which evolved into the 700. Besides, it's not 1963 anymore, short actions today typically handle 2.8-2.9" cartridges, and long actions typically handle up to 3.6-3.7" rounds. A couple manufacturers have "medium" length actions, but the standard is what I listed above.

Well it must be tough to say it's not a long action but a medium action.

Again, try to stick a .300 H&H in one and get back to us.
It's tough to say a 300 H&H is 2.850" long, the same as a 300 Weatherby, 7mm STW, and 300 RUM, all of which were chambered from the factory in Remington 700 LONG ACTIONS and fed from the magazine. How about you go stick a 300 H&H in a modern long action and get back to us.

It's tough to say a 300 H&H is 2.850" long, the same as a 300 Weatherby, 7mm STW, and 300 RUM, all of which were chambered from the factory in Remington 700 LONG ACTIONS and fed from the magazine. How about you go stick a 300 H&H in a modern long action and get back to us.

Agree, but the difference is that the popular american magnum Rem and Win action/mag wells of years ago were modified to fit the longer HH Magnum cartridges. Europeans have had true medium actions forever (like Sako and Tikka). So essentially you have a long action with a standard med mag well. A good example is the 7mm Rem and 264 win mag.

Longer, higher BC bullets are the problem nowadays so the manufacturers are designing shorter fatter magnum cartridges that can use the longer bullets. They then can use the the full length HH magwell to compensate for the longer bullets.

So, as far as popular American actions you essentially only have a long and a short action that can use different bolt head sizes and they use short( short action ) or medium, and long magwell boxes. (long actions).

Last edited:
Jud is correct.
Goggle it:
The main difference between a short action and long action firearm is the length of the receiver. A short action firearm will be offered in calibers with shorter cartridges (i.e. 223 REM, 243 WIN, 308 WIN, etc.). A long action firearm will be offered in "longer" calibers (i.e. 25-06 REM, 270 WIN, 30-06 SPFLD, etc.).

The .30-06 has always been a long action. I can't believe we are having this discussion.

Last edited:
Because you agree with someone and can get someone else to agree does not make you correct. You can not force a long action cartridge into a .30-06 length action without lots of modification.

I once had the gunsmith modify a Remington short action to accept a 3.250" cartridge (7-.378 Wea shortened) but it still wasn't a medium action.

Rich the .308 is a short action and a .30-06 is a long action, like baseball, hot dogs and apple pie are american main stays.

The reason a .300 h&H magnum doesn't fit in a .30-06 long action is because it is a different size cartridge not that the .30-06 is not a long action.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.