Weatherby's new 6.5 RPM cartridge

I'd look into the 300 Sherman short, it equals wsm performance and then a little more. Ackley improved slightly shortened shoulder saum, with longer neck, its impressive plus there is adg brass.
Love his stuff

The thought has definitely crossed my mind. 7mm Rem Mag Performance from a standard bolt face would be cool considering I have 2 long actions with .473 bolts already. It would probably need a 3.6-3.7" Magazine with the long bullets, looking at the case dimensions. Has anybody bought any brass and started loading for it yet? Brass seems to be available on Weatherby's website $75 for 50.

Was looking at this case drawing again last night, and from what I can see it should offer about a 20% capacity increase over the 6.5x284. That should allow about a 5% increase in velocity.

Has anybody handloaded this round yet?

Last edited:
Was looking at this case drawing agai last night, and from what I can see it should offer about a 20% capacity increase over the 6.5x284. That should allow about a 5% increase in velocity.

Has anybody handloaded this round yet?
Almost same exact capacity as 264wm, cept it has a lot longer freebore, to seat bullets out, should get very comparable velocities.

I have some of the brass sitting here and some 6.5 Hammer hunters in various weights, but still waiting on some dies. Every time I try and add the preorder from Brownells, it crashes their site. Anyone had any luck elsewhere?

I have some of the brass sitting here and some 6.5 Hammer hunters in various weights, but still waiting on some dies. Every time I try and add the preorder from Brownells, it crashes their site. Anyone had any luck elsewhere?
I tried the pre-order, it said they were added to my cart, but they aren't there when you go to checkout.

Late update, but I looked at RCBS, and eventually called Redding, who pointed me to Grafs & Sons. They were able to sort it out, and they will eventually be stocking the Redding Deluxe Die Sets (but not Competition). I'll piece together the Competition elements myself if I need them. I don't have a set date yet of when to expect them.

Well I originally ordered a Weatherby Backcountry Ti 6.5 RPM but the over $5000 price tag cured my enthusiasm for that rifle so I passed on it and had one built on a Kimber Montana 84L donor, Gunsmith Gary Flach did his usual treatment to the Montana,

Trued and Squared the action, lighten the trigger to 2.5lbs, I had him add a palm swell to the Montana Stock, I went with a 24" #2 contour 1-8 twist Benchmark, I added Talleys and a Zeiss V4 4-16x44 scope and headed to the range with 3 boxes of factory Weatherby ammo as I haven't received my dies as of yet.

The accuracy/velocity results were ok for the most part, I did expect a little better accuracy, hopefully I can sort that out with some handloads.

140gr Interlocks advertised velocity 2975fps- actual 3030/3022 first two shots to zero, cleaned barrel then 3 more shots at 100 3002/2993/2982 producing 1.1" group, sorry no target for this group.

127gr LRX shot best, advertised velocity 3225fps- actual from a clean barrel 3103/3109/3093 produced a .65" group

140gr Accubonds advertised velocity 3075fps- actual from a clean barrel 3041/3013/3014, produced a .95" group

Recent Posts