Weatherby's new 6.5 RPM cartridge

OK picked up a box of the Weatherby 6.5 RPM 140gr Accubond ammo, and yes its just an extended 6.5-284, I pulled a bullet and the powder weighed 64.6grs and looked like R23 but not positive.

I see a 270 RPM, 280 RPM and a 300 RPM in the near future !

I weighed an empty case and got 229.7grs and full of water to the top of the neck I got 309.8 so 80.1grs of H2O capacity, shooting times article measured 82.5grs of H2O
The loaded case measured 3.333" long
Here's a few pictures of the case with the 6.5-284 and 280AI

6.5-284 / 6.5 RPM / 280AI / empty 6.5 RPM

Last edited:
A RP 264Wm case has a capacity of 81.5 grains of water so I'd highly doubt it. Shoulder angle and case taper of the 264 would show pressure earlier if both are throated the same.
Say what you want. I built a 264 borerider 25 inch that goes 3300 with a 130 accubond. NOT overpressured. By the way shoulder angle has absolutely nothing to do with pressure. And comfortably in the same gun 3175 with a 140

OK picked up a box of the Weatherby 6.5 RPM 140gr Accubond ammo, and yes its just an extended 6.5-284, I pulled a bullet and the powder weighed 64.6grs and looked like R23 but not positive.

I weighed an empty case and got 229.7grs and full of water to the top of the neck I got 309.8 so 80.1grs of H2O capacity, shooting times article measured 82.5grs of H2O
The loaded case measured 3.333" long
Here's a few pictures of the case with the 6.5-284 and 280AI

6.5-284 / 6.5 RPM / 280AI / empty 6.5 RPM
Diameter at base and shoulder?

I don,t need another 6.5 but necked to 30 it would be a goody for an old Husqvarna commercial action I have. 308 norma close to I am thinking. Or I have a 308 norma bore rider reamer too. Then it would not be a wildcat.

I don,t need another 6.5 but necked to 30 it would be a goody for an old Husqvarna commercial action I have. 308 norma close to I am thinking. Or I have a 308 norma bore rider reamer too. Then it would not be a wildcat.

Yes, that is another possibility. I have a M70 Featherweight in 30-06AI, I could just Re-chamber, but the recoil is noticeable as is in this lightweight setup.

Sadly, post 64. A friend had it a few years, he is one of those who tries things and moves on whether it works or not. Most of us here are rifle loonies but this guy takes it to a different level.
He bought a new Featherwt, then adds a Brown Precision Stock, beds it, Magnaports it, adds nice rings and killed several Whitetails with it. I don't think the porting reduced recoil much at all but likely reduced muzzle rise. Then (long story) sells it to me for $185.00.
I have never had such an opportunity before or since. There is a good chance I will leave it as is, but just a thought.

Sadly, post 64. A friend had it a few years, he is one of those who tries things and moves on whether it works or not. Most of us here are rifle loonies but this guy takes it to a different level.
He bought a new Featherwt, then adds a Brown Precision Stock, beds it, Magnaports it, adds nice rings and killed several Whitetails with it. I don't think the porting reduced recoil much at all but likely reduced muzzle rise. Then (long story) sells it to me for $185.00.
I have never had such an opportunity before or since. There is a good chance I will leave it as is, but just a thought.
He sure soaked a lot of money into it to just dump it.