Weatherby VS Sako

Davo
I've heard McMillan do a synthetic stock for the Sako 75 Varmint but I'd be inclined to pillar and glass bed the laminated stock and see how you go . My bet is you'll stick with it .
Had a Sako .220 Swift for about 20 years . The worst thing I did was sell it to buy a Remington VSSF .
Sakos that don't shoot are as rare as rocking horse crap .

Davo,
my wife has a super varmitmaster, 308.
this gun comes with a krieger hand lapped barrel. this gun will shoot with my .308 remington varmit guns .4-.5 any day. it has a 40x type receiver, no magazine. it will not get close to my 308 40x. Trigger is adjustable, but now the bad news. scope bases are hard to find and do not fit. you will have to lap your rings , and lap, and lap. suggest you use a smith for this unless you are experianced at lapping scope rings.
hope this helps

Dave,

Can you get Savage rifles up there??? The Savage BVSS comes in .243. It has a 26 inch heavy varmint barrel, stainless steel finish with a nice laminate stock. It shots GOOD too. They go for $499 here in the states. I would look into the gun also if you are stuck with off the shelf.

Otherwise I save custom built on Rem 700 action all the way.

Matt

With regard to a left handed action for your rifle - carfully consider your usage. If you use the rifle primarily off a rest (bags, bipod, etc.)a right hand action is ideal for the left handed shooter. The port is plainly visable and bolt operation and loading can be done with a minimum of disturbance using your right hand. This configuration (opposite port) is very common in benchrest shooting.

Excellent point, chili. Iam a lefty, but all my rifles end up being righties. Not a problem at the bench though, and I can still shoot pretty well off handed, right handed...sakofan.

With regard to a left handed action for your rifle - carfully consider your usage. If you use the rifle primarily off a rest (bags, bipod, etc.)a right hand action is ideal for the left handed shooter. The port is plainly visable and bolt operation and loading can be done with a minimum of disturbance using your right hand. This configuration (opposite port) is very common in benchrest shooting.

However should there be a gas related incident (and I don't mean wind) you greatly increase the risk of recieving a face full of hot gas not to mention the extractor etc.

I would never shoot a bolt on the other shoulder.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.