Weatherby vanguard

cva54

well I done did it traded in my old mod. 94 for a used vangaurd alaskan in 7mm rem mag. Went there going to get a rem 700 in the same. Well what can I say it is a weatherby. Spent more than I planed on OBOY is she going to be ****ed. What can all of you tell about this rifle? It is stainless in a conposet or is it injected molded? (bear with me on wording) I see some talk about the triger.

In 2006 or 2007(not for sure which one) Outdoorlife magazine named the Vanguard a best buy for rifles. I bought one in .257 Wby with a the plastic stock, NOT the sub-moa either. It has been nothing but an outstanding gun. I highly recomend that you change the trigger on it though. I put a $100 Timney on mine and it went from moa to under 1/2 moa, really made a big difference.
Of all my rifles it is the least expensive and the most accurate. IMHO you got a good gun.

Thanks glad to here they shoot well. I must be a realy a sick person I havent shoot it yet and all ready looking at a bell @ carlson metalist stock,timney or browels single set triger. Wondering if the acction is true are the lugs laped right is the head space set right. All of them things I just got done doing on my 700. I think I should call in sick to work and go shooting

well went out shooting. THIS rifle needs to be rebiult. The triger and stock belong in a fire. the barrle is to light (heat) I brought it back to were I got it and traded it for a rem 700 SPS in 7 R M I dont think I will ever get a WEATHERBY agine

IMO the Vanguard is a very good rifle. The trigger does suck and needs replacing. They all do except the Savage with out modification. Any cheap injection molded stock is garbage, just about all brands offer an economy model with one and even a custom slim profile barrel will heat up after a few rounds.

I got lucky the gun shop let me do a store trade Pick up a 700 SPS 7mm rem mag. Brought it home last night. Just got back from the range with it with in 5 shots was hitting 1" square. Did it 1 more time to make shure. Now got to start packing leaving in the morn. deer opener. Nothing like a little pressure.

One point regarding changing out the trigger. If you can operate a large flat blade screw driver to remove the barreled action from the stock, and then successfully operate a small flat blade screw driver to remove then factory trigger and install a new Timney replacement trigger. You might be able to handle the job. :D

You will have to relieve the stock a little for a clearance for timney safety to operate correctly.

My Vangaurd is in 257 WBY Mag.

well went out shooting. THIS rifle needs to be rebiult. The triger and stock belong in a fire. the barrle is to light (heat) I brought it back to were I got it and traded it for a rem 700 SPS in 7 R M I dont think I will ever get a WEATHERBY agine

Curious what the issue was.

I have a Vanguard in .30-06 that was shooting 1 1/4" groups when I got it, but with a little work (new stock, bedding, and handloading) it now averages 1/2" 3-shot groups with 175gr SMKs and 3/4" with 180gr Partitions.

thats perty good. I just got done doing up my other 721/700 .06 and didnt want to go throught all that agine now all I need is bedding and triger job the 700 I got was hitting a MOA in 5 shots and 2 more to make shure

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.