Weatherby Vanguard

Wind Dancer

Does anyone out there know how good the Weatherby Vanguard in Stainless Steel is, especially in the sub moa model. Do these guns shoot OK? Are the actions pretty good from the factory? Are the actions easy to work on, and bed? How are the factory barrels? Appreciate any comments but I don't really need any info on any other actions such as the Rem 700, Win Model 70, Sako 75, Savage 110, etc. Got a good handle on those...I just don't know anything about the Weatherby, and someone asked me about it today. Seems a wife may have ordered a surprise rifle...coming for father's day maybe. By the way, he mentioned something about it being a .308.

the Vangaurd is the same rifle as the Howa 1500(or the RWS89) exept for the weatherby engraving. I used to have an RWS 89, infact i took a black bear with it in CA in 1995. it was a 300winmag, after i'd given it a decent bedding job the thing shot under 1/2" with factory ammo. I only sold it (and wished i hadn't ever since) because i couldn't find a synthetic stock for it.
I'm currently looking at the Vanguards as a base for custom rifles here in Germany. I realy like them and they have a bunch more features as standard than the rem700 or Win 70 etc do. I'd say they are a good out of the box rifle.
Pete

They are good guns for the money , have a good solid strong reciever to build on later if you want , they have a M-16 style extractor($150 option on the Rem) their trigger can be worked down to a very respectable weight safely. And they do have a MOA guarntee and like it was mentioned before with a good bedding job and some trigger work they will generaly beat the 1" groups and thats pretty good for a factory gun

I believe the Vanguard / Fibreguard is the top selling centrefire in Australia at the moment . Good value for money by all accounts . Think I'd pay a little more and get the Fibreguard if you can get it . The stock is better .

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.