Weatherby Vanguard SUB-MOA vs. Savage 112BVSS

JDT

Hi,

I am thinking about buying a new rifle for target shooting and possibly some varmint and deer hunting.

I am thinking of going with one of these rifles chambered in 7mm Remington Magnum. I'm trying to get as much "out of the box" accuracy as I can without spending too much money.

The Savage 112BVSS has the benefits of being heavier, having a longer barrel, and being cheaper. However, the Weatherby Vanguard is obviously far more accurate out of the box.

I was wondering whether it would be cheaper to buy the Weatherby Vanguard SUB-MOA or buy the Savage 112BVSS and spend money getting it accurized to the point where it could shoot sub-MOA groups.

Any opinions?

[ QUOTE ]
However, the Weatherby Vanguard is obviously far more accurate out of the box.

[/ QUOTE ]
That might not be entirely true. Savage is very well known for great accuracy right out of the box, especially in the higher end models like the 12/112.
I've got a 112 bvss in 300 win mag that is a legitamite .5-.75 moa rifle only change was to change the trigger as it is a pre-Accutrigger model.
Chris

Get the 112 BVSS! That is the rifle that I have in 7mm rem mag. IT IS AWESOME. I would take it over the Weatherby HANDS DOWN out of the box. The only two ajustments that I have made on my rifle is a target grade crown and a good bedding job. You will have a sub MOA gun out to and beyond what you ever thought possible. With the money you save with the savage you will be able to do those two ajustments and it will still probably be cheaper than the weatherby. Weatherby sells on it's name more than the product in my opinion, Just my two cents.

Not to mention it's a hansome gun!
Picture213.jpg

I may be wrong but if memory suits me correct the weatherby vanguard serious is the real low end of weatherby. I may be wrong though.
I have two savages, one that i have had for a year the other i just bought and am setting it up now. The one i have had for a year is a plane jane 11f (i think) in 223 but i use it for every thing and it shoots far better then my skill. Both have accu triggers and i love it. Savage had a bad rep for a while but they are a nice out of the box rifle know.

I'd like to see this vanguard thats more accurate out of the box than a savage. I have shot a few weatherby vanguards both in 300 weatherby mag and they were 1 to 1.5 moa rifles with weatherby ammo and had the wierdest recoil effect I have ever seen. I'm sure there are some vanguards that are shooters but I think you will have an easier time getting a savage to shoot from the box.

[ QUOTE ]

However, the Weatherby Vanguard is obviously far more accurate out of the box.

Any opinions?

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm? Okay. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
The Savage 112BVSS has the benefits of being heavier, having a longer barrel, and being cheaper. However, the Weatherby Vanguard is obviously far more accurate out of the box

[/ QUOTE ]
Good thing I'm not a betting man, but if I were I'd be putting my money on Savage. I have never in 50 years seen a Savage that won't shoot good. If it does not shoot good out of the box a little tweaking with the bedding does the trick. I can not say the same for other brands. Remember, I only speak out of my own experience. Good luck!

I would get the savage. The sub-moa is nothing more than a standard vangaurd that was tested for accuracy at the factory and found to shoot at least .750" at 100yards. They then charge an extra 300 bucks. So basically if you go and buy the standard vangaurd hopping for a good one you'll be out of luck. Basically weatherby is looking for a way to make extra money for doing nothing.

What if remington test fired all their sticks and charged $300 more for the sub-moa shooters. No one would go out and buy a standard 700 that didn't shoot.

I have a few savages and most have shot under an inch with a good handload, even with standard sporter barrels. I only ever had one dud it was a 7mm-08 and shot 3"@ 100yards.
I screwed on a premium tube and had a 1/2 moa gun.

Do yourself a favor and buy the savage. The only area I would say the vangaurd beats the savage is in the synthetic stocks, but since your looking at the 112 with a laminated stock, you should not have a problem. I have 2 savages and both shoot 1/2" or under at 100 yards straight out of the box (one is a 112 with a light sporter barrel). If the out of the box accuracy isn't enough for you it is much easier and cheaper to tune a savage action than a weatherby action. In fact several gunsmiths on this board do not suggest the weatherby action for a custom rifle. Also if you plan on wearing out a couple of barrels the savage barrel can easily be changed by the owner. I would suggest you go to www.savageshooters.com and check out some of the custom rifles and tech articles, then try to compare a savage to a weatherby, by then hopefully you will see that in terms of functionality and sheer accuracy the weatherby can not touch a "cheaper" savage.

I too have an excellent 112BVSS, mine in 300WM. It would be my first choice, however, if you really like the wthby, hae a look at the rifles sold under the Howa brand. These are the same rifles as the wthby (Howa provides barreled actions to wthby stamped wthby) but are stocked with a variety of stocks from boyds. Several of them are well suited to LR shooting due to their heavy varmit design, and the 223s that I have seen and played with shot very well indeed. I have a quarter that carries the scars from 4 rounds of 40gr Winchester whitebox cheap stuff from walmart launched from 100yds.

go with the savage,unless you want the weatherby name,im thinking the sub moa is just another way to seperate you from your money.savages dont need to advertise and charge more they are better and made here

Another stamp of approval for the Savage from me! If you want the Vanguard, as stated a previously, get the Howa and save some money. You still will need to get a trigger job, and a bedding job wouldn't hurt either for the Howa.

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.