weatherby vanguard series 2 range certified

big mike 2121

Hey guys, anybody have one of these or shoot one? varmint model is available near me and thinking about giving it a go. Give me the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Its a newer model and it hasnt got very much popularity yet. I dont know if it will. Guys on this forum live and die by the remingtons, winchesters, and savages (or completely custom action). Every now and then you will see some weatherby products on here...but I am sure of the 70 people that has read your post, none of them have tried the product because SOMEONE would have said something. I have always been a fan of weatherby but I can not stand their safeties and their creeeepppy triggers. That is about all I can say. Sorry it wasnt helpful

I'm not sure how you can't like a Vanguard safety if you like a Remington, Savage or some of the others. The triggers are easily tweaked, though that is not a problem on the S2.

The good? Vanguards generally have very smooth actions and are quite accurate. I own a couple and really like them.

The bad? The RC version is an expensive way to get a B&C stock on a Vanguard. Only you can determine if it's worth it to you to have Weatherby install the stock and test it for you.

That's the short version.

Yea the rems, savages and customs....and HIGH dollar scopes rule the roost here. I thought I read somewhere that this model has been out since 2011. Maybe im wrong. Nothing against the usual suspects, just found the weatherby and it interested me. Maybe i'll be the guinea pig!

If you can get it for the cost of a regular Vanguard + B&C stock then I think you'll do well. The more I use my Vanguards the more I like them.

It's not that the Vanguard RC is a bad rifle - far from it. It's just not a big seller anywhere given its price and the "sub moa" guarantee of the regular S2 Vanguard.

I checked out your OP a little earlier but didn't respond since I don't have a "Range Certified" Vanguard. Actually, the Vanguards and Howa's are fairly popular on this site and IMO are very good platform for an LR build. I'm having 2 done right now. I'm also getting a build on a 700 action as well and I like the Howa/Vanguard actions much better.

A year or 2 ago, Weatherby had the regular Vanguards and the Sub MOA Vanguards. The differences were the reg had a plastic stock and no factory fired target and was "guaranteed" to fire 1 1/2 MOA or less. The Sub MOA had a much better B&C pillar bedded stock and came with a factory fired target. I have one in 300 WBY with a target group that measures .4"

Now, it appears that WBY has morphed the reg and Sub MOA Vanguards into one Series 2 Model with a plastic stock and no target, but "guaranteeing" Sub MOA accuracy. And have also come out with the "Range Certified" rifle with a good stock and factory shot target for about $1000 more than the previous Sub MOA model.

If you are looking for a good Varmint rifle, you look at a Savage. I've got my eye on a 223 that will probably shoot every bit as well if not better than the Range Certified rifle for about 1/3 the cost. The Vanguard is a great rifle, but I think WBY is asking too much for the RC line.

A year or 2 ago, Weatherby had the regular Vanguards and the Sub MOA Vanguards. The differences were the reg had a plastic stock and no factory fired target and was "guaranteed" to fire 1 1/2 MOA or less. The Sub MOA had a much better B&C pillar bedded stock and came with a factory fired target. I have one in 300 WBY with a target group that measures .4"

Now, it appears that WBY has morphed the reg and Sub MOA Vanguards into one Series 2 Model with a plastic stock and no target, but "guaranteeing" Sub MOA accuracy. And have also come out with the "Range Certified" rifle with a good stock and factory shot target for about $1000 more than the previous Sub MOA model.

The old "Sub-MOA" line is now the Range Certified line since technically all Vanguards now have a sub moa guarantee. The stock is now green instead of tan, and you get a "verified" target. Same B&C stock, pillar bedded and not full bedding block, with the RC logo on the floor plate instead of the old "Sub-MOA" logo. They are not $1000 more than the old Sub-MOA line as they currently retail for about $875 to $1000 total. The old Sub-MOA retailed for $750+ so there is a price increase but it's not huge.

The target used to come with all Vanguards but they got rid of that a few years back.

The new Vanguard Series 2 retails for $479 or so. If you order a B&C stock from Stockys or others it's $270 to your door in your choice of colors - but you now have the full aluminum bedding block and not just the pillars. In the end you'll spend about $100 more for the RC than if you "build your own" - but only you can decide which way you'd rather spend your money.

Like some others I havent had any experience with the newer vanguard or the range certified but I did own an older vanguard in 243. Bought it for 399 and it was a great gun. Didn't notice any issues with trigger or safety and the gun always shot 1/2 moa with anything handloaded. As others have pointed out I think the rc or submoa are pointless just a reason to hike the price. I feel the normal was just as good as any base 110 savage or rem 700 and all have plenty of upgrades available to make them even better. I ended up getting rid of mine due to it being sop heavy. Not even a varmit model and with 3-9 scope and 6in bipod it was over 10 pounds. Improvements on the series 2 should make them even better but still not sure I can justify the extra $$ for just a target some guy at the factory shot.

The old "Sub-MOA" line is now the Range Certified line since technically all Vanguards now have a sub moa guarantee. The stock is now green instead of tan, and you get a "verified" target. Same B&C stock, pillar bedded and not full bedding block, with the RC logo on the floor plate instead of the old "Sub-MOA" logo. They are not $1000 more than the old Sub-MOA line as they currently retail for about $875 to $1000 total. The old Sub-MOA retailed for $750+ so there is a price increase but it's not huge.

The target used to come with all Vanguards but they got rid of that a few years back.

The new Vanguard Series 2 retails for $479 or so. If you order a B&C stock from Stockys or others it's $270 to your door in your choice of colors - but you now have the full aluminum bedding block and not just the pillars. In the end you'll spend about $100 more for the RC than if you "build your own" - but only you can decide which way you'd rather spend your money.
Sorry, my bad... The MSRP is 1,199. I thought I read 1,999. I still like the 26" barrel on the Savage Varmint and they are still about 60% the cost of RC Vanguard, and I am a Vangurd fan.

Vanguard® Series 2 RC (Range Certified) Varmint | Weatherby.com

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.