weatherby vanguard series 2 range certified

I think I'll check out youtube first and save myself some money. Thank you for the advice. With all the input on Timney, it's going on the Savage.

I bought regular Vanguard before the S2 came out, put a timney trigger and a B&C medalist on it, and couldnt be happier.

I have been able to easily adjust the triggers for 4 Howa style rifles to a crisp 1.5 lbs give or take a couple of oz. There are tutorials on the net and youtube. Very easy to with a lot of the triggers, however, some need a little filing and polishing. In those case I would recommend a Timney 3 position safety trigger which are available at Midway for a little over $100. Another good investment.

The Timney is a very nice trigger, especially if you want a 3 position safety.

With the factory Vanguard trigger I use some Flitz metal polish and my Dremel tool with a buffing wheel on the trigger and sear surfaces. I shine up the surfaces and in doing so can get the trigger creep free and the pull weight comes down nicely. I do not personally use a stone or file because I don't want to go through the MIM surface. So far I've only had 2 Vanguard triggers that did not significantly improve with this work.

There is a great thread on the Gunsmithing forum here:
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f37/howa-trigger-adjustment-how-52584/

gong_zps7b76586a.jpg

shot this today at 735 yards with my S2 vanguard 257 wby using 110g accubonds on top of 73gr of h1000 at a 3.300 col lit with fed 215s. factory gun with a stockys thumbhole stock and a pst.
Thanks for the input. I also shoot 110gr AccuBonds for my AccuMark .257 Wby. I can't remember my exact load concoction, but Im using 110gr AccuBonds, RL-22, and Fed 215 primers. I still haven't gone and tested my load yet, but once I get it's preferences figured out, I'll finish loading up my brass I have sitting around. I have a whole bunch of factory loaded Weatherby 110gr AccuBond ammo laying in the safe, so basically all I need it for is the brass.

Do you have any pics of your S2?

Shot my .257 Weatherby Inc. Vanguard series 2 at 960 yards today. These were the first 3 shots ever at this distance with this rifle. Load consisted of 110g Nosler accubonds over 73g of H1000. Applied Ballistics LLC android app was used to get the firing solution of U22 moa and R4.5 moa for the 6 mph wind and was dialed into a Vortex Optics viper pst 6-24x50 ebr-1 moa scope. The only modification to the rifle is a Stocky's Stocks (www.NewRifleStocks.com) long range sporter thumbhole stock.

photobucket-26517-1360885312908_zpsf64faf4a.jpg

Im not real sure what happened on that lowest one.

That's amazing! The question I still have is, do I trade/sell the Weatherby S1 and trade it for an S2? Or, just do the trigger and stock on the model just ahead of the S2.

That's amazing! The question I still have is, do I trade/sell the Weatherby S1 and trade it for an S2? Or, just do the trigger and stock on the model just ahead of the S2.

The only real difference is the stock and trigger.

You can tune your trigger or swap for a Timney and shoot just as well.

I am going to take that advice. I will change the stock and have the gunsmith tune the trigger. Go from there. Thanks.

The only real difference is the stock and trigger.

You can tune your trigger or swap for a Timney and shoot just as well.

X2...i have one of each all i did to the S1 was the timney trigger and the same stock as you see on my S2 and they both shoot just as well

my S1 is in the middle of an extreme make over that i think everyone will like when it is done in a few months

I'm not sure how you can't like a Vanguard safety if you like a Remington, Savage or some of the others. The triggers are easily tweaked, though that is not a problem on the S2.

The good? Vanguards generally have very smooth actions and are quite accurate. I own a couple and really like them.

The bad? The RC version is an expensive way to get a B&C stock on a Vanguard. Only you can determine if it's worth it to you to have Weatherby install the stock and test it for you.

That's the short version.

I own a standard S2 in .25-06 and it is easily the most accurate factory rifle with factory ammunition that I have ever purchased. the trigger breaks clean at 3 Lbs and the take up (2 stage trigger on the new S2s) is not bad at all. I plan on buying another rifle in 300 Wby and building it up as a longer range shooter. when I do I'll post more, My only complaint about the stock rifle is that after three shots you HAVE to let the barrel cool or your grouping will start to grow. The #1 contour is too light and not free floated.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.