weatherby vanguard series 2 range certified

hope I get it before I go back to work next week. will be 5 or 6 days before it even ships. Still need a scope too.

I just bought a Whetherby Vanguard Series 2 chambered in 270 Win. It is not a range certified one however.

I mounted a scope and took it to the range yesterday and zeroed the scope and shot some loads to see how it shot. First I loaded some Hornaday 130 Sp's with IMR-4831 powder. I stared low and was going to work up as I zeroed the scope. I bore sighted the scope and sent one down range at 50 yards. The first shot was high and left, after some adjusting to the scope I sent the second shot down range and found that I was still just a little high and left. After some more adjustment I fired a third shot and hit the orange dot that I was using as a target. I still was a little left but I wanted to see how the gun shot with the load so I fired two more rounds without moving the scope. Well to say the least I was very pleased with this load and the Vanguard. My three shots at 50 yards were measured at .20 inches.. I know this was only 50 yards but this rifle showed great promises. My other loads did not shoot as well, but I was able to put three shots of Remington factory ammo into one inch at 100 yards.

I have loaded some more 130 Hornady SP's with IMR-4831 and I am ready to take them to the range and see if this gun shoots them in less that 1/2 inch which I think this gun is capable of.

So from my limited experience I think you should be well pleased with a Weatherby Vanguard.

I have a Series 1 that's about years old. How does the S1 compare to the S2? Thought about trading or selling the S1 but doesn't have much value. Thinking of putting on a different stock. Any suggestions with an S1?

I love Remington 700's.....But I also love my Weatherby Mark V's....

I have 1 Weatherby, and it's a Mark V AccuMark .257 Wby Mag, and that is one tack-driving SOB. I want to get an identical AccuMark, but in a .30-378 Wby Mag w/ and AccuBreak on it. I don't know why....I just want one. :D

I have been interested in trying out the new Vanguard Series 2 Deluxe in .257 Wby, since I have been wanting a Mark V Deluxe .257 for quite some time, but funds have not been kind lately to drop $2K on a rifle and another $1-2K on glass.

So, if anyone has shot a Vanguard Series 2 Deluxe in .257 Wby Mag, please let me know how you liked it, how well it shot, pics of groupings would be nice, etc, since they are 1/2 the price of a Mark V Deluxe, and being that it's lighter than my AccuMark, and alot cheaper, I wouldn't mind beating it around in the brush quite so badly. LOL

I have a Series 1 that's about years old. How does the S1 compare to the S2? Thought about trading or selling the S1 but doesn't have much value. Thinking of putting on a different stock. Any suggestions with an S1?

I sold my vangaurd a few months ago and got 320 out of it so you may be suprised how much you could get. For paying 399 when I got it sure did hold it's value.
Any stock that lets you free float the barrel on it should show some improvements, that was the one thing I never liked about it. Mine shot great the way I had it so I never experimented with stocks but I did have the trigger cleaned up and made lighter, really didn't make as noticable difference as I was hoping though.

The Howa/Vanguard is a great platform. What cal and how well does your original Vanguard shoot? B&C offers a full aluminum bedding block Medalist stock for the Vanguards. They list for about $253 on Stockys

Bell & Carlson Medalist

A great investment

Mine is in a 7mm Rem mag. I just don't like the balance, when I compare it to the Savage rifles I have. I noticed that after the first shot. If it's on a bench rest, no problem. It shoots lights out. I just want it to feel balanced and not wobble when I try to fire it long range without a rest. Thanks for that advice. I just see so many good and bad reviews on any stock I see.

That's interesting. I have a S&W M1500 (same thing as the Vanguard) which is also 7mm RM and I put it in one of the B&C stocks. I thought it balanced very well offhand in both its original stock and the B&C. It's also a tack driver.

Haven't handled any Savages yet except a heavy barrel Varmint in 223. Nice rifle and thinking about getting it.

gong_zps7b76586a.jpg

shot this today at 735 yards with my S2 vanguard 257 wby using 110g accubonds on top of 73gr of h1000 at a 3.300 col lit with fed 215s. factory gun with a stockys thumbhole stock and a pst.

I'd love to shoot a Vanguard S2. I went to Gander with the S1 and was told it was worth about $150. I know that's whole sale, but.... Can't part with it for that. It's in excellent condition. I figured that because I saw Cabelas had S1s on clearance for $349. Looks like I'll have a trigger job and new stock and go from there. Thanks for the input, and I'll certainly check out Stocky and the B&C Medalist; even the ones with thumb holes.

What scope do you use to shoot 700+ yard shots?

vortex viper pst ebr1 moa 6-24x50. you can see how small that red dot is and i dont have any problem putting the retical on it with how thin it is on the pst.

i also have a vanguard S1 that is several years old in 7mm rem mag and it shoots just as good as this S2 plus you can get a timney trigger for the S1 and not for the S2

I'd love to shoot a Vanguard S2. I went to Gander with the S1 and was told it was worth about $150. I know that's whole sale, but.... Can't part with it for that. It's in excellent condition. I figured that because I saw Cabelas had S1s on clearance for $349. Looks like I'll have a trigger job and new stock and go from there. Thanks for the input, and I'll certainly check out Stocky and the B&C Medalist; even the ones with thumb holes.

What scope do you use to shoot 700+ yard shots?

I have been able to easily adjust the triggers for 4 Howa style rifles to a crisp 1.5 lbs give or take a couple of oz. There are tutorials on the net and youtube. Very easy to with a lot of the triggers, however, some need a little filing and polishing. In those case I would recommend a Timney 3 position safety trigger which are available at Midway for a little over $100. Another good investment.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.