Weatherby Vanguard S2 or Howa 1500

NT whistler

Hi all, I was hoping to buy either of these in 300win mag to set up and use as mid range (400-600yd) hunting outfit. Has anyone used these for a similar setup?
I was looking at stainless over the blued but open to sugestions.
Budget is limited to these.

Thankyou

Whistler

Hi all, I was hoping to buy either of these in 300win mag to set up and use as mid range (400-600yd) hunting outfit. Has anyone used these for a similar setup?
I was looking at stainless over the blued but open to sugestions.
Budget is limited to these.

Thankyou

Whistler

they are both on the howa 1500 action. I'd do a tikka myself, but do whatever floats your boat feature wise (trigger, stock, optics) as the guts are the same on both rifles.

Nt - not sure where you are or what you are shooting at. for precision at longer range weight is an asset. heavier is better. so i suggest a rem 700 long range. also heavier are usually easier to get decent groups especially at the longer ranges. for sporter weight in that price range i like the vanguard

Budget and availability.

Set a budget. Find the "best" rifle in that budget.

Tikka
Browning
Weatherby Vanguard
Howa
Remington

more

All will fit your range goals. It's the luck of the draw on how well with factory ammo or handloads.

There are 70 Models listed on Gallery of Guns, only 27 in stock. Not all of those are what you would be looking for. A Savage Long Range Hunter should exceed your requirements.

So make guns, so little time.....

Thanks guys, sorry I should have mentioned that targets would mainly be Sambar Deer, pigs as well as buffalo at shorter ranges. I'm in the NT in Australia

Whistler

I bought one (Weatherby Van wood) when they first came out in a .300 Win Mag.. it was a very nice looking rifle and shot on a par with 95% of most the over the counter rifles back then. I'm sure there still a very nice hunting rifle, I found nothing disappointing with mine. Sold it, but it wasn't rifles fault, another guy just liked it more.
Good luck.

Thanks guys, sorry I should have mentioned that targets would mainly be Sambar Deer, pigs as well as buffalo at shorter ranges. I'm in the NT in Australia

Whistler
Other than being a little concerned about buffalo with a 300 but I'm sure you will be fine.

A Vanguard will do you well as many others will.

I am partial to Weatherby even Vanguards but the Savage 111 LRH deserves consideration.

I vote for the Vanguard. I bought a 25-06 2 years ago and its been super accurate and a joy to shoot. I'm now looking into getting another just because haha

I'VE USED (2) HOWA1500 ACTION FOR BUILDS THEY ARE GOOD ACTION THERE JUST METRIC THREADS,ONEgun) IN IS A 6.5CREEDMOOR OTHER IS A 243IMP

NTW, the 300 Win will shoot a lot better with a 26" barrel (don't know what that equals in cm) if you can find something in 26". Good luck

I have a 257 WBY in the SS Vanguard I did put a Tim Trigger on it and haven't looked back great gun . Best of luck with your selection

Weatherby contracts the vanguard series to Howa. They are the same. Just pick which words you like better.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.