Weatherby Vanguard pink synthetic?

MagnumManiac

G'day all,
I am tossing up buying a Weatherby Vanguard pink/black synthetic stocked rifle in 223 for my wife to shoot Hunter Class with me while I shoot F-class.
It has a 20" barrel and a faster twist than 14", I think it's a 12" twist but not sure.
It feels rather heavy for what it is, which is not a bad thing.
Just wondering what everyone thinks of these rifles, as it is a dandy price at $850.
I have zero experience with these other than a few Howa action I have built on some years ago which shot fine, but they had aftermarket quality barrels on them.
What say you all, is it good buy?

Cheers.

My son, grandsons and I have had very good luck with Vanguards. All are better shooters since replacing the plastic stocks on the rifles that came with them. Most have Timney triggers and all have been bedded. Good luck

I love those vanguards and hope to acquire one again (regrets man, regrets, sold it). They're not free floating and my handloads never got the memo that said that was a bad thing for accuracy. Ergonomically is where they really shine. I find them comfortable and "natural" pointing, i appreciate that they're solid, they weigh a little bit.

I've got probably 7 vanguards currently, and I love them all. They will always perform. I have one now in 270wby that I just got back from the Smith after having a fast twist barrel swapped, and another in 300wsm at the Smith now waiting for a barrel swap. I've never owned one that didn't shoot, and never heard of one with a mechanical issue. I've been shooting them for probably 20 years now. My wife has one in 6.5cm, a Camilla model, and she enjoys it. I've got a youth model in .243 that my nephews shoot well.

I have had several of them, they are getting quite the base of after market parts, not as much as the 700 but better than most.

I have 4 (2x 7mm-08, 25-05, 30-06) that are very accurate, and I had one (300 WSM) I could not get to shoot no matter what. So I am at 80% on them... the ones that shoot just shoot.

G'day all,
I am tossing up buying a Weatherby Vanguard pink/black synthetic stocked rifle in 223 for my wife to shoot Hunter Class with me while I shoot F-class.
It has a 20" barrel and a faster twist than 14", I think it's a 12" twist but not sure.
It feels rather heavy for what it is, which is not a bad thing.
Just wondering what everyone thinks of these rifles, as it is a dandy price at $850.
I have zero experience with these other than a few Howa action I have built on some years ago which shot fine, but they had aftermarket quality barrels on them.
What say you all, is it good buy?

Cheers.
Yes and they shoot extremely well. Comes with a .99moa warranty. Great trigger. You will like it except for the color.?????

Yes and they shoot extremely well. Comes with a .99moa warranty. Great trigger. You will like it except for the color.?????
I can assure you, and AussieHunterSteve would attest to this, the colour of the stick makes no difference to me. I quite like pink, not as much as my wife, but have no qualms showing up to a match with a pink stock.
Was thinking of getting a Dima in pink for myself, just to be different.

Cheers.

I still cannot ascertain what the twist is, some sites say 1:14" and others say 1:9".

Oh well, may just have to buy it to determine the twist rate….why not hey.

AussieHunterSteve,
Yes, the muzzle blast on 20" barrels is obnoxious, but my 222 runs at 223 specs anyway, there will be little difference in performance between the 2. The wife already runs the 222, she is quite a good shot.

Cheers.

I still cannot ascertain what the twist is, some sites say 1:14" and others say 1:9".

Oh well, may just have to buy it to determine the twist rate….why not hey.

AussieHunterSteve,
Yes, the muzzle blast on 20" barrels is obnoxious, but my 222 runs at 223 specs anyway, there will be little difference in performance between the 2. The wife already runs the 222, she is quite a good shot.

Cheers.
That's my motto, just buy it... you can always sell it again if you don't like it and get something else, without justifying an additional purchase 😊

Weatherby vanguards:

I have one, the serial number is in the neighborhood of 250. I called Weatherby, I had a question. They made it very clear I did not have a Weatherby, I had a non-Weatherby and I did not have a Weatherby chamber. It did not take long for me to forget what it was I was going to ask them.

I started with 4 boxes of Federal Gold Medal ammo, round #74 was absolute zero, the next five went through t the same hole.

At the same time I had a Model 70 Winchester also with the 300 Win mag chamber. The Winchester model 70 had the ugliest chamber I have ever seen. Long story, we had words. They did return the rifle in a new box.

Weatherby vanguards:

I have one, the serial number is in the neighborhood of 250. I called Weatherby, I had a question. They made it very clear I did not have a Weatherby, I had a non-Weatherby and I did not have a Weatherby chamber. It did not take long for me to forget what it was I was going to ask them.

I started with 4 boxes of Federal Gold Medal ammo, round #74 was absolute zero, the next five went through t the same hole.

At the same time I had a Model 70 Winchester also with the 300 Win mag chamber. The Winchester model 70 had the ugliest chamber I have ever seen. Long story, we had words. They did return the rifle in a new box.
That's crazy, if it is not theirs whose was it. Howa builds all those guns. They do currently have a new version but all I understand was changed was the stock. Oh well stranger things have happened.

I have a First Light 6.5x300 on the way, made a contribution to BHA. The rifle looks very nice and they do have a 3 shot moa guaranteed! It would be interesting to know what the difference, is if any between the Howa and the Vanguard. I do know Howa does not chamber in any Weatherby cartridges