Weatherby Vanguard HighCountry 6.5 PRC

Just getting back to this thread. Best accuracy so far has been with Ramshot Hunter and a 140 grain Ballistic Tip (into strictly hunting, not long range target shooting). I CAN MAKE the PRC shoot faster than the hotly loaded 6.5x284N, but groups go stupid. Even then, the difference in max velocities aren't that great. Otherwise, my factory Savage Long Range Hunter in 6.5x284N is as fast and much more consistently accurate than my custom Bartlein-equipped PRC. Both cartridges should be efficient by design. I am running a long action so I would not run into OAL issues just in case.

I think part of the problem is the brass. I think we will see more consistency and possibly even higher velocities with the introduction of Lapua and/or ADG brass in the upcoming year (hopefully). Don't get me wrong, with great care Hornady brass CAN be superb. They just vary in consistency so much from lot to lot. I built a 6mm Remington on a long action with fast twist and could only find Hornady brass. That stuff was little better than the junk Winchester passes off as new brass. The PRC brass I have is only slightly better. I culled most of the 50ct box to find enough pieces to make a few 3-shot groups for sampling. And lots of people have bought into the 6.5 PRC and now can't get ammo or brass unless they pay 2 1/2 X retail on auction sites, which is ridiculous for what they're getting!

Last edited:
Unknown munitions has a pre-sale list a guy can sign up on to get guaranteed adg brass when they receive it in a few months. I know it's a ways out but....at least it's an option.

I'm trying to understand the enthusiasm for the 6.5 PRC ? I have a 6.5x06 built on a Ruger long action. 24" stainless, 1/8 twist Bbl. .Nosler 140gr AB bullets at 3075fps , using Rel 26. All the 30-06 , & or 25-06 brass I want to form from at very reasonable prices. What would the PRC offer me I'm not already gatting?

I could be happy with the 6.5x06 or AI 6.5x284 and performance is in the same arena..
For me, I am 68, feel great but I know someday it will be different. I am not wanting to sell my better rifles but willing them to my kids and grandkids. For the most part they hunt but not in to handloading so I want to leave them rifles they can enjoy and the choices do not hurt the performance I enjoy.

For others, they like to buy rifles they can buy factory ammo for if needed or if they are busy. You won't do that with a 6.5x06 or AI and dang hard with a 6.5x284.

If you load your own and not concerned at this point about the things I mentioned then all are good.

To each his own.

Last edited:
I'm trying to understand the enthusiasm for the 6.5 PRC ? I have a 6.5x06 built on a Ruger long action. 24" stainless, 1/8 twist Bbl. .Nosler 140gr AB bullets at 3075fps , using Rel 26. All the 30-06 , & or 25-06 brass I want to form from at very reasonable prices. What would the PRC offer me I'm not already gatting?
Not much really. People with a 6.5/06 and 6.5-284 will gain nothing performance wise over the PRC. Similar to owning a 6.5 CM or .260. There so close IMO there wouldn't be a need to own one if you have the other. Particularly if you reload.

I'll simplify this by stating my hunting buddy built a 6.5 PRC on a LA. His plan was to shoot the new Berger 156 EOL. After the build was complete and load development and break in was complete, his accuracy results and performance was identical to my 6.5-284. He's happy with it but thought it would be better performance wise. He can get more velocity than I do but accuracy gets ugly. I can maintain higher velocity and accuracy combined with mine as it seems to like the upper velocity node for accuracy. I prefer the 140s but with the 156, mine gets 3050 and .5s. I prefer the 140s around 2975-3000 fps which is plenty and keeps barrel life maximized. The 140s keep me in the .25" range to 800 yards in good days. I hope the 300 PRC I'm building offers better performance and accuracy than my 300WM did. It's pretty much the same comparison to the 6.5-284 vs 6.5 PRC.

I'll simplify this by stating my hunting buddy built a 6.5 PRC on a LA. His plan was to shoot the new Berger 156 EOL. After the build was complete and load development and break in was complete, his accuracy results and performance was identical to my 6.5-284. He's happy with it but thought it would be better performance wise. He can get more velocity than I do but accuracy gets ugly. I can maintain higher velocity and accuracy combined with mine as it seems to like the upper velocity node for accuracy. I prefer the 140s but with the 156, mine gets 3050 and .5s. I prefer the 140s around 2975-3000 fps which is plenty and keeps barrel life maximized. The 140s keep me in the .25" range to 800 yards in good days. I hope the 300 PRC I'm building offers better performance and accuracy than my 300WM did. It's pretty much the same comparison to the 6.5-284 vs 6.5 PRC.
This is exactly my experience, also. Even using a 26" Bartlein barrel. I could MAKE the PRC go faster, but accuracy went to pot. Best accuracy was in the mid 3100s up to maybe 3200 on one or 2 loads.

A guy using ADG brass and a 26" barrel will gain a slight velocity edge over 6.5x284 or the 6.5-06. Now an improved 06 will run the same or better as it's basically a 6.5saum. I can run 142smk w/ H1000 comfortably from my 24" prc. From my 26" muller works I can run 156s @ 3050-3080 w/ N570 or RL26. I have a 6.5x284 running rl26 in lapua and peterson brass and 2980 was best I could do, it's very accurate but just below pressure.

Recent Posts