Weatherby Vanguard HighCountry 6.5 PRC

picture? Never seen that before and they surely won't fit into my short actions vanguard

saami is 2.825" on creedmoor and 2.955 on Prc

Here's how a factory 6.5 prc fits into a short action vanguard.
BD9CF510-4A42-4178-9B87-638F0061D28D.jpeg

I just found factory loaded 6.5cm cartridges at 2.93, so.... yeah
Well that's def not saami. Who's making them? The freebore on a saami 6.5 prc is 188, same as creed. But the prc is 0.115" longer. They go and load 143/147 bullets that already have LONG bearing surface into them, a 156 berger 30k off lands is 3.04" long. That's all fine and dandy if you're using a 700 clone that a bainey or wyatt's box can fix, but.......in the 1500 howa you're gonna be stuffed into case a long way. I'm a handloader and will NOT buy a rifle that's not set up to hit lands with the longest bullets being mag fed.

I'm going to have to do some more research here, but my 6.5prc is a bergara on a 700 clone short action. I'll get back to you, but to my understanding it is a standard 700 short action length.

I'm going to have to do some more research here, but my 6.5prc is a bergara on a 700 clone short action. I'll get back to you, but to my understanding it is a standard 700 short action length.
Have to remember a howa1500 is not a 700. I also have a sneaky suspicion bergara is opening up their actions a tad if it's bdl, or I bet you got a strapless accurate mag which *will* hold a 6.5 prc. I've built short action prc, I'm just saying that 1. My short action vanguard bdl box will not fit a prc and 2. They are not the same Saami length.

howa is either extending their short actions or building them on long actions. it doesn't super matter either way though we are getting in the weeds about almost nothing.

Back to the rifle

I think this is a sign that the PRC is picking up more steam than people are giving it credit for. I'm seeing a LOT of talk about it. We now have almost all the manufacturers building rifles chambered in it, even weatherby who has almost a direct competitor cartridge. It must have market pressure. That is cool to see.

Back to the rifle

I think this is a sign that the PRC is picking up more steam than people are giving it credit for. I'm seeing a LOT of talk about it. We now have almost all the manufacturers building rifles chambered in it, even weatherby who has almost a direct competitor cartridge. It must have market pressure. That is cool to see.
That's an excellent point. I really almost felt bad for weatherby (whom I love and own dozens of their rifles), for spending all of that time and money developing the 6.5RPM just to have the 6.5PRC drop and more or less make the RPM irrelevant from it's inception. This isn't a new phenomenon for weatherby of course, as the 7mm rem mag basically did the same thing to the 7mm wby mag. There have been other examples

That's an excellent point. I really almost felt bad for weatherby (whom I love and own dozens of their rifles), for spending all of that time and money developing the 6.5RPM just to have the 6.5PRC drop and more or less make the RPM irrelevant from it's inception. This isn't a new phenomenon for weatherby of course, as the 7mm rem mag basically did the same thing to the 7mm wby mag. There have been other examples
Extra velocity from a standard bolt face is boring.
The prc is also 2 years older so maybe let the rpm have a year or two before writing it off as dead

The 7mm weatherby outdated the remington by 20 years, and was only sold in weatherby rifles. No wonder the Remington was more popular as it was available in dozens of rifles for 1/3 the cost of a mark v. Ammo was cheaper etc.

Back to the rifle

Its definitely catching on, although I'm surprised not more ammo options
if tikka ever chambers it buy stock in sako beretta

They already announced they were at SHOT. Can already get sakos in prc. T3x still not to market. Hopefully soon!
When I ordered my last tikka pre fit from carbon six I asked them what they were making the most of and it was 6.5 prc and 300 prc. Over On rokslide I'd wager it's the popular cartridge this year

Recent Posts