Weatherby Vanguard freefloat?

gohring3006

Would you freefloat the factory synthetic stock?
I shot my 300 weatherby mag Vanguard yesterday, and I'm hovering around 1moa. (so far) I am only half way thru the load development, (got rained out) but my first node is about 3/4 of a inch. Then I was about 1 moa, but I'm approaching the second node, I can see it in my groups. My question is should I free float it or not? I'm going to mess with the trigger today to try to get rid of some the creep, as it could be the problem also.
Thanks to all that has helped me so far.

I did with mine. I did make a slight improvement. Not much. I was having a flier in every group, two touching one 3/4" off. That flier is in a little closer now. I am at 3/4MOA with 180TTSX 300wby

I did with mine. I did make a slight improvement. Not much. I was having a flier in every group, two touching one 3/4" off. That flier is in a little closer now. I am at 3/4MOA with 180TTSX 300wby
Repeat that for my three Vanguards:
300WSM

Tightened up the group and flyer. Changed to a Boyds Featherweath thumbhold, floated and bedded. Got better still. Added a QUE brake/tuner. Better still. Timney trigger best with factory barrels.

The 223 reached a point where it shoots very predictably. 40grn V-Max good to 300 yards. Still has the factory barrel.

The 243 became a 260 with the change of barrel to a Pac-Nor
The 300WSM is still a WSM but now wears a Pac-Nor

The 223 has a Pac-Nor read to install but I am leaning toward making it a 22-250 and trying out the Ruger American 223 with it's 8twist.

Repeat that for my three Vanguards:
300WSM

Tightened up the group and flyer. Changed to a Boyds Featherweath thumbhold, floated and bedded. Got better still. Added a QUE brake/tuner. Better still. Timney trigger best with factory barrels.

The 223 reached a point where it shoots very predictably. 40grn V-Max good to 300 yards. Still has the factory barrel.

The 243 became a 260 with the change of barrel to a Pac-Nor
The 300WSM is still a WSM but now wears a Pac-Nor

The 223 has a Pac-Nor read to install but I am leaning toward making it a 22-250 and trying out the Ruger American 223 with it's 8twist.
Thanks Fred,
So you never messed with the factory trigger?

3006, if you mean the black plastic stock on the Vanguard, I tried to bed one and the epoxy won't stick to it. It stayed for a short time, then popped loose. Like Fred's idea of the bedded and floated Boyds for your rifle. Good Luck

Do you have the S1 or S2? All of my S1's are free floated with Medalist stocks. S2's seem to like the pressure point.

No, just replaced it. Probably could do it now but Timney is more reliable. Have not looked at the V2 trigger.
Well, I messed with it today..... Hahahaha
I pulled it apart and cut a coil and a half off the trigger spring. It measured 7lbs before and 2lbs after. I did the drop test, cycled the bolt vigorously and used my rubber mallet and struck the top of the action several times, and they weren't love taps either. Its not mis firing at all. I milled out the barrel channel to free float it, and i drilled several holes at different angles in the recoil lug region, and its curing as i type this (jb weld).

You can Google up tuning the vanguard trigger, after a simple tune up a Timney won't touch it.
Your right BignGreen, I cut the spring, polished a few places, and screwed a couple screws. Now its as good as my TC trigger, if not a little better.

Well... I was able to get the stock off this morning. The bedding looks pretty good. I drilled several holes in the stock at random angles, and when i applied the epoxy, i used a tooth pick to push the epoxy into the holes. It looks pretty solid, we'll see...

It all may be a wast of time.LOL.
As i was putting the barreled action on the stock, i noticed my scope rings were loose on the base..what a dumb@55. LOL. I swapped scopes, and i snugged them but didn't tighten them....

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.