Weatherby Vanguard 7mm Reloading questions

Dodge4x4

Hi, I just discovered this forum and am trying to get into long range shooting/hunting. I recently purchased a Weatherby Vanguard in 7mm mag and have a Leupold 4.5-14 scope mounted to it. I am looking for information and reloading data on what kind of bullet/powder combination this gun responds well to. I will mainly be using this bullet on whitetail deer and hogs, probably out to a 500 yard max to start. I have considered the 160g Nosler AccuBond and the Hornady SST in 154g. I am also looking at RL 22 for my powder choice. Any information on loads for this gun will be greatly appreciated.

The bullets you listed will do the job. ...as will the 168 Berger although some might prefer the Accubond for shooting big hogs in the shoulder.

The 180g Berger is excellent for longer ranges, but needs around a 1:9" twist. I'm not sure what twist you have.

I have had good luck with the Bergers in my Sendero using h4831sc and RL22. I prefer the h4831sc as I got no real improvement in velocity and I feel that the h4831sc is more temp stable.

I also prefer Norma brass and Fed GM215M primers.

-- richard

Thanks for the help! Ill start to look at the bergers as well. What kind of velocity are you getting out of the h4831sc? I've read that it doesn't produce very good fps numbers

I can't say for sure what you will get in a 24" barrel but 3100+ is fairly easy in a 28" barrel, but you should be right around 3000fps. RE22 and H1000 are usually faster but not as consistent. If 2900fps with the best accuracy and lowest ES you may want to give Imr4350 and Fed210m primers a try.

Wonderful thing about reloading choices these days is that there are so many components available. And in 7mm, you have a ton of recipes that do the job well.

I too have a newly acquired Vanguard in 7mm RM. I'm not loading for it yet, but soon will be. My choices are Federal 215M primers, Retumbo for powder, and 162gr Hornady A-Max bullets. If for whatever reason I can't get the A-Max's to shoot as well as I want them to at different COAL's, I'll change to another bullet and start over. But right out of the gate, those are my choices.

It's hard to discount Berger bullets, especially for long range work, but they are a bit pricey for me right now. So I figured for my purposes, the A-Max would make for a great second choice.

Before you decide on which powder (if only choosing one to begin with) take a look at the results that some folks are getting with Retumbo. At first it seemed that folks thought Retumbo would be a tad slow for the 7mm unless one was shooting 180 grainers. But thankfully some adventurous folks tried it with lighter bullets because some of the long range groups I've seen were impressive to say the least.

Good luck in your loading! I hope that you'll keep us informed of your load progress. I for one, would be interested to see what you settle on.

I have since rebarrelled. But, my records show 2900 fps with 168's and 64.5gr h4831sc. ..and, 2750 with 62.4gr for the 180's.

As always, double check the data and work up.

I didn't bother optimizing every component. The rifle easily shot 3/4MOA with those loads farther than I could range a whitetail in the field. So, I quit load development.

I would recommend choosing some components that have worked for others and get a working load before you introduce too many variables.

RL22, Retumbo, Accubond, etc can all be effective.

-- richard

Thanks for all the help guys. I think im gonna go with the 162g A-max and H4831sc to start. I also have some 154g SST's and some Imr 7828ssc that I got from a friend that I plan on playing around with, Anybody have any experience with the 7828?

Imr7828ssc is just a tad slower/colder than H4831sc and also works pretty good, accuracy will likely be close to that of the H4831sc but typically the ES is higher but unless you go to RE25 or Retumbo I would use CCI BR2 or Fed210m primers, there is no need for radical ignition with those doses of powder unless its 10* outside, the magnum primers usually just contribute to a higher ES.

I ended up getting the 150g Nosler BTs and it responded best to 64g of IMR 7828ssc. It shot about 3/4 moa consistently in 5 shot groups. I was very happy with the grouping considering the rifle is completely stock. I have used the ballistic tip before in a 243 and it did great on whitetail. I am looking at bedding the action on the Vanguard and my Remington 700 7mm and trying out the 160 Accubonds. I hear these do well at longer ranges.

What stock do you have on your Vanguard?

I ask because if you have one of the "soft" plastic stocks like I have on mine, that bedding job is going to be tough. I had to bed mine twice before the third time finally stuck and that was with me using brake cleaner on it each time AND roughing the surfaces each time. There's something in the resin that they use to make em I guess, but it makes it tough to get ANYTHING to stick----especially the first time.

Personally, I'm buying a B&C Medalist from a guy on here who has generously said that he would hold it for me for a bit. I'll bed THAT ONE and then I'll have a solid platform for my rifle.

Just food for thought.....

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.