Weatherby Vanguard 300 Wby 24 in.

gohring3006

I know where one of these are at with 12 rounds thru it. What do you guys think of the 300 Weatherby in a 24 in.? And what do you think of the Vanguard?

As always, it depends on the price and what your long term goals are.

24" for a 300Wby is OK, not ideal but Vanguards only come 24" or shorter AFAIK.

If it's less than $500 OTD, I would consider it strongly.
If it's less than $400 OTD, I would not wait long.
If it's less than $300 OTD, get it quick but watch for cops in your rearview mirror:D

It is an immensely strong action. Generally very true. All the same ad-ons that you would find for a Remingon 700 are available.

Many barrel makers that do prefit and lots of smiths will not make the barrel tenon/prefit. Pac-Nor does and they are very high quality, very accurate.

Weatherby Vanguard
26mm X 1.5mm

I am tinkering with the idea of pulling my 300WSM barrel off the short action and putting it on the long action then using the short action for a 6.5 Sherman Short Mag.

So many rifles, so little time.....

As always, it depends on the price and what your long term goals are.

24" for a 300Wby is OK, not ideal but Vanguards only come 24" or shorter AFAIK.

If it's less than $500 OTD, I would consider it strongly.
If it's less than $400 OTD, I would not wait long.
If it's less than $300 OTD, get it quick but watch for cops in your rearview mirror:D

It is an immensely strong action. Generally very true. All the same ad-ons that you would find for a Remingon 700 are available.

Many barrel makers that do prefit and lots of smiths will not make the barrel tenon/prefit. Pac-Nor does and they are very high quality, very accurate.

Weatherby Vanguard
26mm X 1.5mm

I am tinkering with the idea of pulling my 300WSM barrel off the short action and putting it on the long action then using the short action for a 6.5 Sherman Short Mag.

So many rifles, so little time.....
Thanks Fred, its $500.00 with a 4-16x50 Buckmaster on it. I figure the scope is as new as the rifle and they go for about $250.00 new. The guy didn't like the recoil, I figured I would brake it..

Thanks Fred, its $500.00 with a 4-16x50 Buckmaster on it. I figure the scope is as new as the rifle and they go for about $250.00 new. The guy didn't like the recoil, I figured I would brake it..
That would work. Send me a pic.

3006, if it is that new it may be a Vanguard S2 which has a far better trigger. That, along with the 4X16X50 SF scope the $500 sounds great. Good luck

3006, if it is that new it may be a Vanguard S2 which has a far better trigger. That, along with the 4X16X50 SF scope the $500 sounds great. Good luck
I never looked to see if it was a S2, but I'm going to go pick it up shortly. I have 400 208 grn Amax that would be perfect. I never bought a rifle for a Lot of bullets, i always bought a Lot of bullets for a rifle. LOL.

You can't go wrong with the Vanguard, especially an S2. They hold their value as well as the other brands in their price range. Personally, every one I've had was a killing machine. For a relatively inexpensive gun they are remarkably accurate and the 300 "B" will kill stuff out to 500 yards all day long. They do kick a little though, but they are supposed too! When I hear people complain about recoil I tell them to get another gun or learn to play golf. If you have a magnum rifle like a .300 in a relatively light rifle and it doesn't kick there is something seriously wrong with it. It will be interesting to see how that scope holds up to the recoil. But like you said, put a brake on it and it will be fine. :cool:

You can't go wrong with the Vanguard, especially an S2. They hold their value as well as the other brands in their price range. Personally, every one I've had was a killing machine. For a relatively inexpensive gun they are remarkably accurate and the 300 "B" will kill stuff out to 500 yards all day long. They do kick a little though, but they are supposed too! When I hear people complain about recoil I tell them to get another gun or learn to play golf. If you have a magnum rifle like a .300 in a relatively light rifle and it doesn't kick there is something seriously wrong with it. It will be interesting to see how that scope holds up to the recoil. But like you said, put a brake on it and it will be fine. :cool:
Yea that scope is the first thing to go, i have a .17 wsm that it will go on, probably a Viper will be ordered..

I don't know anything about Viper scopes, but I know what a light rifle/brake combo can do to two that I knew to be good ones! I had a MatchGrade Arms .340W made up and it had the "holes all around" brake on it. Empty it weighed 5#, but was easy to shoot. I loaded the Barnes 210 XBT to 3200 in it and shot around 80 rds through it when my Leupold 2.5x8 went South. It was about 5 days before my trip to South Africa too! I took it on the chin and put a Zeiss 3x9 on it. I had to rezero it upon arrival. I gut shot a poor blesbuck with it, it was 24" laterally off. I rezeroed ( I killed the Blesbuck with my spare 300WM) it, killed an Impala and a Zebra, all good. Drove over to Namibia and gut shot/lost a nice Gemsbuck. I rezeored it, that afternoon shot the hoof off another one! It was off again. I finished the hunt with the 300WM. Upon my return I had it rebarreled with a bit heavier 338WM barrel and a different ( less noisy) brake. It fixed it. In a very light rifle with a sharp recoil, that brake acts like the piston on an air rifle...rifle recoils and is abruptly "braked" with opposing force. So, I don't think you will have any problems, but just be aware of what happened to me! ha. I like the brakes that look like an artillery brake, three holes perpendicular to the bore. When behind it, you hardly notice it! Not so with those old KDF style, which work, but My God, the Noise! Good luck to you Pard.

Correction: The rifle weighed 5# w/o scope. Sorry.
Yea that would hurt even if it was a 30-06. I think I'm going to get this rifle up around 10-12 pounds with a heavy scope, bipod, and maybe some weight added in the hollow stock, but im also thinking about a Boyds Pro Varmint. Definitely adding a brake not sure which one yet, probably one of JE's if he will sell me one uninstalled.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.