Weatherby to release rifles in 338 Lapua Magnum

ELR Researcher

I have confirmed that Weatherby will be releasing two rifles in 338 Lapua Magnum late this year. One will be in their tactical-style, Mark V TTR Custom Magnum series (TRR Custom Magnum | Weatherby.com) and the other will be in their Mark V Accumark series (Mark V® Accumark® | Rifles | Products | Weatherby.com). The linked web pages are for current models in the respective product families. While some retailers/e-tailers have these models listed on their websites, Weatherby is only taking orders from their channel partners at this time.

I,am a long time weatherby user, and if they price the accumark correct it will be a huge seller,if not i doubt it ..The 338/378 is already above what it should be priced.
They will need to do something to pull people away from savage and rem. and others..price/performance/are just two things that come to mind.
I hope whoever posted this sends the answers back to wby.

I,am a long time weatherby user, and if they price the accumark correct it will be a huge seller,if not i doubt it ..The 338/378 is already above what it should be priced.
They will need to do something to pull people away from savage and rem. and others..price/performance/are just two things that come to mind.
I hope whoever posted this sends the answers back to wby.
Yep I think they need to reconsider their pricing a bit. You can build an awfully nice custom rig for less than they are asking for these models.

Going to be awfully difficult to talk someone into one of these when the Remington Police .338 which are nail drivers right out of the box sells for half that price, plus with any remington 700 there's an almost endless amount of aftermarket parts and gear to customize them to suit one's self.

Hi WildRose:

Since you note no specific prices on the Weatherbys or the 700P, hard to tell what the deltas are.

The original info posted on AmmoLand in Feb (no availability info) indicated an MSRP of $2270 for the Accumark and $2879 for the TRR. As of a few minutes ago I found two sites (non-forum, non-auction sites) listing the Accumark at $1780 and the TRR at $2230-$2280 - "backordered" or otherwise not available.

The availabilty I noted at the top of the thread ("late this year") is per Weatherby Sales today (8/24/11).

What info are you relating to in your post - specific prices and their associated dates, please?

Today, I read a good article on the new Sav. with the HS Precision stock, shooting under 1/2moa out of the box and with the radical brake, they said the recoil was more like a 308 (just repeating) & in a conventional rifle size. It was in one of the LEO/swat type mags.

I could buy the Sav. & mount good glass for the diff, yes Wea. does need to rethink price.

Savage Arms > Firearms >338 Lupua

Hi WildRose:

Since you note no specific prices on the Weatherbys or the 700P, hard to tell what the deltas are.

The original info posted on AmmoLand in Feb (no availability info) indicated an MSRP of $2270 for the Accumark and $2879 for the TRR. As of a few minutes ago I found two sites (non-forum, non-auction sites) listing the Accumark at $1780 and the TRR at $2230-$2280 - "backordered" or otherwise not available.

The availabilty I noted at the top of the thread ("late this year") is per Weatherby Sales today (8/24/11).

What info are you relating to in your post - specific prices and their associated dates, please?
For the weatherby prices I clicked on the link in the op.

I've seen several 700p's in 338 for 1,400-1,600.00 over the last month or so and there's a brand new one in the box listed in the classifieds here for 1,550.00 currently.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/for...00-police-sniper-rifle-700p-price-drop-76527/

Here's one that sold recently on Gunsamerica as well for under 1,500.00.

Remington 700P MLR 338 Lapua HS Precision Sniper *NEW* Remington Rifles - Modern > Model 700 > Tactical for sale, gun classifieds or gun auction from Oak Hill. Buy or bid on this Remington 700P MLR 338 Lapua HS Precision Sniper *NEW* in the category

Last edited:
WildRose:

Thanks for the data points. [BTW, clcik the Buy Now button on the Weatherby Accumark link page for a listing of MSRP prices by caliber and RH/LH - $2270 for the 338-378, RH.]

Those wanting more potential seller pricing info, suggest you search using the official model numbers, not the names:

Accumark - AMM338LR8B
TRR - TCM338LR8B

Comparative "selling (or last sold)" prices here (a real eye opener - including 700P... and the Savage 111LRH (Savage Arms Firearms > 111 Long Range Hunter (338 LM)) with 5+1 capacity, pic rail, and HD brake for $973, free shipping, cash price - WOW!) - Discount Guns for Sale - Buds Gun Shop

Seems like plenty of food for thought.

Weatherby does need to drop their prices. I have an AccuMark .257 Wby Mag I bought new in 2008, and I only paid $1,365 + tax, even as a special order. Went back to the same store last year looking to buy an AccuMark in .30-378 Wby Mag with an Accubrake. They wanted $1,997 + tax, so I walked on it...

Granted, an Accumark is basically a custom rifle, and has been trued from the factory. They are great shooters, but in my opinion, a bit too pricey for your average Joe hunter who just wants a good quality gun. Plus, putting a pretty good piece of glass on top, and your up to $3,000...

Just my opinion.

Like I said early on this subject ,,,I would pick a wby. factory rifle over most others..Between the 257-300-30,378-338,378 accumark I have or or at one time did have 12 or more.
Every one needed the trigger adjusted or changed ..There 3 shot guarantee is still only a tad under 1 inch ,,although all but 3 of mine did better.
I bought all mine under $1400.00 dollars. Today at just under $2000.00 the accumark line is over priced.I like the feel of the rifle and even in the 338/378 the weight isn't bad with a scope.It,s in my opinion the best elk medicine ever..
They will need to address these issues or the 338 lapua another favorite of mine wont sell,,,,savage alone will kick there but.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.