Weatherby Rounds!

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Lahunter76, Jul 20, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. werth338

werth338 Well-Known Member

I have never used a crimp and loaded most Bee calibers from 224 to 460 with no issues.

Dell likes this.
  2. CO_Guy

CO_Guy Well-Known Member

S.T. Thanks for the data!

Completely agree. The possibilities point is why I'm rarely an absolutist when it comes to shooting and hunting. So many things to try and learn.

3. Poppadoer

Poppadoer Well-Known Member

I was using my ole faithful ( model 94) 30-30 couple of years ago and this was Remington cor-lokt 150gr.and was putting 4 into the magazine.Well,I did the same cartridges over and over for 3 or 4 days,because I hadn't seen anything to shoot.I noticed that one of the bullets had been pushed back into the case neck really far.So even the factory ammo can have a bad crimp.So check your ammo folks.

WYO300RUM likes this.
  4. ofbandg

ofbandg Well-Known Member

I bought a newly re-chambered rifle once that had a sharp edge left in it and the case mouth would catch when I chambered a round. It wasn't bad but it was annoying so I set the die to crimp the mouth and it stopped catching. To my surprise accuracy improved, although it wasn't bad to begin with, it was noticeably better with a crimp. It was a large caliber (.366) so it wasn't being used for long range but even though I subsequently smoothed out the sharp spot I still crimp for that rifle.

CO_Guy and Frog4aday like this.
  5. Reno1121

Reno1121 Member

Keep in mind the Lee Factory Crimp Die (FCD) is effective on non-cannelure bullets. I actually had trouble years ago (46 years to be exact) with my 30-06 pushing bullets into the case under recoil. They were Nosler Partitions and mil-surplus brass. I knew nothing about the FCD and with the pressure relief groove in those old partitions I used the crimp on my old Pacific dies to solve the problem. In reality, those cases had probably been reloaded a dozen times without annealing and I have no idea what the neck tension was. Ah, the innocence of youth.

WYO300RUM likes this.
  6. FamilyH

FamilyH Member

The main reason for a crimp is to keep the bullies in a case in the magazine during firing.

7. FamilyH

FamilyH Member

Yes they do, it also will bring up the pressures in a case.

8. Rainy

Rainy Member

I own a 300WBY and have never had any issues reloading without crimp. As others have said, semi-auto and handguns should be crimped. I think you’d be spending unnecessary money on crimping dies. Hope this helps and happy shooting!

9. wonderman4

wonderman4 Active Member

I always crimp my Weatherby rounds. Why? Because one of them is a 378 and the other is a 460. I shoot Woodleigh bullets in both and the bullets are heavy.

CO_Guy and Frog4aday like this.
  10. roundball

roundball Active Member

Didn't Sierra have strong works about not using a FCD due to bullet deformation? I was kinda thinking of the hunting bullets how many have a crimping groove. Not many. Wonder if dies are designed to give enough neck tension to hold the bullet in place. I came across a lesson about neck tension loading lead bullets into a 300 WSM. There was plenty in that example. Worked my neck expander to get the bullet seated. Looks like die makers may know what they are doing.

11. Saracen

Saracen Well-Known Member

It's literally a try it and see job. A light LEE factory crimp makes case tension and OAL less relevant. More consistent velocities, and less sensitivity to minor variations in powder charge, are common.

CO_Guy likes this.
  12. Frog4aday

Frog4aday Well-Known Member

Just wanted to jump back in and make it clear that if you already have a 3-die set, you have a crimp die. You don't have to buy a separate Lee die...unless you just want to use their particular 'type' of crimp.

CO_Guy likes this.
  13. jlreff

jlreff Well-Known Member

I found a crimp worked better for me in all the Weatherby I reloaded. As well as some other cartridges I load for

CO_Guy likes this.
  14. Fred G Cook

Fred G Cook Member

I have just started loading the 257 Weatherby Mag. I have never crimped any of my long guns loads, ever. I shot my 257 with .55” 5 shot groups with good speed at 100. The SD and ES were not wonderful but the groups, I was satisfied with. Have not changed powders or played with jump yet but for its use, with these groups do t know as I will make that a priority.