Weatherby rifles and cartridges

weatherby rifles

• Total voters
7 Ultra Don't Waste your Money!!! you want a .257 Weatherby or a .270 buy a Rem action and start from there...A stock Weatherby may look pretty but thats about it! for the price its ***! ohh and BrianB don't worry about opening up a can -o worms on this subject ...you hit the nail right on the head! ..heck I would feel better about heading out into the field with a red Ryder BB gun than one of these ***'s Take a look 7ultra at how many replies you got on this subject ...most are tring to be politicly correct but really they are all basicly saying the same thing!...they don't shoot for Sh%t and ther are a waste of money....use you best judgement. Good luck I hope I didn't get anybody's pantys in a bounch this is a forum of free speech I believe.

Long Range Demon TacKac,
I don't understand how you came to the conclusion "most are tring to be politicly correct but really they are all basicly saying the same thing!...they don't shoot for Sh%t and ther are a waste of money".

60% of us respondants that have owned and used them have been positively impressed by them. 40% were not happy with their experience.

Now if you want to argue "value" and making a semi-custom rifle that can out perform a Weatherby you may very well be able to do so. But you may not too. Not everyone wants to shop around for a used action, find a reliable gunsmith that really knows his stuff and wait for 6-12 months to put together a gun that might be better than what they can buy off the shelf for about the same money. Remember, just because a gun is "custom" doesn't mean it will shoot well.

7Ultra, Which ever way you go I wish you the best of luck.

PS I didn't get a chance to test my 257 on a living critter. I only saw two doe in 5 days of hunting. The lack of snow didn't help any.

RBrowning,
That sucks to hear (about the deer), but thanks to all for the input. I can tell you one thing though, the deer up in WI don't like the 7mm Remington magnum. Too bad the shot was at a longrange 20 yrds. Would have really liked to have seen how the 160gr Accubonds perform on longer shots.

Have you ever seen a Weatherby action in a bench rest match? Or any Weatherby in any match?I've seen many of shooter/reloaders with worried looks at rifle range.First shot couple of shots are on target than it starts going south,all for $1500.00 plus.But they look soooo coool.

I think for a decent watherby you could built a remm700 chambred in weatherby cart that will kick *** on any factory weatherbyg..and
i don't know who you use as a smith but i but maybe you need to find a new one ...thats kind of wait is CRAZY!!! besiseds if you want flat shooting ther are a few that will kick the weatherbys
*** plus the new carts b uilt by Kirby will smoke anyway weatherby smoke any .277. 6.5 and.270
grin.gif

pulled the factory wthby barrel off my MK V and rethreaded/headspaced a remington 700 bdl s/s barrel in 338RUM to it,...THEN IT SHOT WELL,..NOT UNTIL THEN THOUGH. 3 shots,..extractor crapped out and the bolt is at wthby right now. The 3 shots were 3/4in with rem core-lokt ammo The actions are tuff,..but to get 9 lugs working in union,..you either get lucky with a good one out of the box or you pay someone to get all 9 lugs tight. Other than that I'll skip the freebore and spend my money on rem700 actions and a good smith any day of the week.

I have been unimpressed with every one I have fired. 2 city boys came to the range last year before hunting season with their accumarks s/s in 300wthby and zeiss glass. These guys started slinging their 1.5 and 2" groups and talking about how these things were the best rifle going (pre-canned sales pitch). Imagine their suprise when the sendero sf in 7mmrem printed 1/2" with factory loads and a burris signature scope. They soon went inside to find someone else to tell about their great rifles,..they knew they were wasting their time on me
grin.gif

I think a couple of guys here said it-get a weatherby caliper in something other than a weatherby-great caliber-poor rifle

[ 11-22-2004: Message edited by: NTM ]

when you mention slick and smooth,..that has little to do with actual accuracy,..but I think you spelled SAKO incorrectly,..I don't remember there being any "W's" in it
grin.gif

yeah guys I wans't trying to slam weatherby's but you could do ether a no throat or a very short one on a Rem 700 Action and I promise it will shoot great now if your just looking for a flat out lazer critter smacker look no further than Kirby Allen Mag based off a .338 Rum highly modified No belt to hassle with and they will flat smoke antyhing in the particular carts ole Roy had offerd in the same configuration ... .275---6.5 and a .270 now I do udrerstand that the bbr life will not be that long but who cares how many deer do you whack in a year plus bbl are cheap!
grin.gif

Sorry Kirby I hade to post it for ya
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
thse new carts are two awsome to be forgotten!
grin.gif

I've only dealt w/ 5 Weatherby factory rifles. All shot great.

I've dealt w/ a bunch of Remchesterugers and I've never seen 5 in a row that shot worth a flip. Yes, the others turn out shooters but, for me Weatherby has been 100%.

I can't believe the negative comments on these rifles. I'm rolling here .

They are these best functioning rifle on the market (Factory Wise) as far as I'm concerned. They have great triggers, the bolt slides like silk, and they aren't too bad looking.

The Proof is in the Puddin'.

Good Luck!

Reloader

JustC,

The Sako rifles are fine too but, I just couldn't bring myself to buy one w/ the lack of QC they have developed. They are quickly fading in popularity especially, after all of the blow-ups they've had this year.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Reloader,..I don't have any sako 75's but I bought 3 of those L691's "in the white" and have barreled one in 6.5-06AI. **** thing is smooth and shoots very well. There is so much steel in this action,..it makes me feel pretty safe. They aren't exactly the lightest rigs,..but for a LR hunting rig,..who cares,..I ain't carrying it but from the truck to the bench
grin.gif
These are my first SAKO's so I am no expert.

I have found Weatherby's to be somewhat overated.

Weatherby friends think they are the real deal, but not me. Give me a Sako any day!!..sakofan..
wink.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.