Weatherby or Remington

7dawg9

I'm looking to get a new 300 WM to hunt elk in CO. Trying to decide between a Weatherby Backcountry and a Remington 700. I know it's like Ford vs Chevy, but I'd appreciate some opinions.

I had a Vanguard S2 300 win mag and sold it to get a Remington. I was needing a 26" barrel and I wasn't a huge fan of the two stage trigger of the Weatherby. I know the Weatherby has a moa guarantee but my Remington is just as accurate the Vanguard was. Definitely a Chevy vs Ford thing. (I'm a Chevy guy lol)

Of those 2 choices, take a look at the Rem 700 5R Milspec 26" .300 WinMag. They are very well-known shooters. I have 2 myself, one .308 Win, one .300 WinMag. You will want to swap the trigger immediately to a Timney or Jewell, but that is the case with just about all factory rifles these days. The lawyers are so strict they have to make them that way.

I have a tikka t3 300 win mag shoots about 3/4" groups at 200 yards and has lots of performance upgrades at tikka performance or mountain tactical online. Only beef I have with this gun is the stock is crap and my COAL length to the lands is 3.68" magazine max is at 3.34" which means you'll have to single feed for your handloads if you go for the lands on the rifle. Knowing that now. I would of bought a Remington 700, but I'm left handed and their a pain to find. Rem 700 has many aftermarket up grades and compatable with hand loads

IIWM Weatherby but your not me. I'm not that fond of long magnums in 24" barrels so actually that rules out the V2 in 300WM. A Mark V:D

but then reality sets in.....

I would recommend the Tikka T3 based on a 308 Tikka I shot. Crappiest factory ammo was < 1/2" at 100 yards.

Everyone else would get a Remington.

Remington and hope you get a good one. My choice would be a Savage since your chances are higher in getting one that will shoot.

As far as factory MOA guarantees go, that is an interpretation of the factory and what they deem acceptable. Believe me, I have been this route before with no satisfaction in the end with additional cost to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree with Fred, the Back Country with a 24" barrel in 300Win is a bit short unless in heavy brush with close shots. The Mark V Wby is $1500 at the low end, but has a 26" barrel. Perhaps a 26" higher end Savage, Tika or Remington would be less painful to the wallet and let that 300 Win stretch its legs. Personally I would avoid the Tupperware stocks since it would need replacing. Good luck

I have never had a Weatherby nor have I ever shot one. I own a Remington model 700 in 30-06 and it shoots pretty good but I would definitely suggest Savage. I own three of them, one of which is a 300winmag and out of the box they have all been really great shooters. gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.